PDA

View Full Version : Adamsfence and Quackhead............

Dink
02-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Getting the tackle together............one more setup and were ready to roll!!! This is getting expensive, but gonna be worth it...........The 10 day forcast has G.I. at a high of 64 and a low of 49. Cloudy in the am and clearing thru the day.................ITS ON FELLAS!!!

Jordan
02-17-2010, 12:33 PM
tim, is the 3rd one from the left a saltwater series reel from cabelas ?? I have an identical one !!!

Dink
02-17-2010, 12:35 PM
No bud...........thats a shimano stradic 6000 on a.....ready??? Ugly Stick!!!

Jordan
02-17-2010, 12:37 PM
i have a saltwater series reel i won at a tourney, it looked identical.... ya'll going big fish fishing ?

Dink
02-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Headin outta G.I. in a few weeks.............goin Lumpin.....I just hope somethins there........

adamsfence
02-17-2010, 12:58 PM
man I'm pumped like w in a corky store..... I'm ready been trying to get to get my clothes together and rods ready my wife has told me to shut up about 500 times over this trip

longsidelandry
02-17-2010, 01:01 PM
:cry::cry: I was supposed to go but a guy quit at work and it put me on call that weekend :cry: Man ya'll gonna have an awesome time.

Jordan
02-17-2010, 01:49 PM
dink... thanks for the invite dood...

jpeff31787
02-17-2010, 02:11 PM
lucky sunzofbishes!!! Stupid club tourny fell on the same day!

o well.. Good luck guys and make sure we see some pictures of something

Dink
02-17-2010, 02:13 PM
lucky sunzofbishes!!! Stupid club tourny fell on the same day!

o well.. Good luck guys and make sure we see some pictures of something

Oh there will be pictures!!!! There's a lingerie show that weekend!!! I may enter quackhead!!!! Hahahaja

huntin fool
02-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Headin outta G.I. in a few weeks.............goin Lumpin.....I just hope somethins there........

3 guys? idk too much about lumpin...But might be some humpin goin on :*****::*****:

J/king...Quackhead and Adam's fence are some cool guys....you on the other hand tim....idk bout you :shaking:

lol good luck

Ray
02-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Winds right now are 11 gusting to 16 knots.
Seas are 4 to 6.
No boats are fishing out here or the Lumps right now.
Yesterday was real rough.

QUACKHEAD
02-17-2010, 08:11 PM
The boat has been serviced, oil has been changed as well as the line on the penns and diawa's. I have a couple of extra lighter reels for around the rigs on the way in, hope to catch a few mangroves and AJ. The cabin is reserved. We just need the weather gods to be on our side and some one to yell...TUNA ON!

QUACKHEAD
02-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Keep us posted Ray We are trying for Feb 26-28. Big day should be the 27th. We are looking at several places around the Midnight lumps and up to 25 miles either side of the shelf. Plan to fish the rigs coming back in and troll around some.

Ray
02-17-2010, 09:05 PM
I will be on days then. I can tell you more on those dates. I got connections at WD-143, right next to the Lumps.

QUACKHEAD
02-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Here are some of my rigs, but am waiting on a Diawa 600 H and Rod to be delivered.
Penn Senator 114 H, an Olympic Dolphin 615, and FXB-500 Shimano and 2 Pinnacle RM 70 spincast with 40 lbs mono. Two other fishermen joining me has their rod of choice with them also.

adamsfence
02-17-2010, 09:14 PM
this all i got hope its big enough.........i have a abu garcia 6000 is that big enough

PUREBAY2200
02-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Whose boat y'all goin in???

QUACKHEAD
02-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Adam, I think it will be good around the rigs for most of what we will catch. You might have a couple that will strip it out a ways, but hopefully Tim will be able to release from the anchor and you guys can chase it down. What pound test you have on it. 30 or better should be ok for the average amberjack, hopefully we can get into some mangrove snapper or a few other good eaters out there. I think Tim will have enough gear on his boat while you guy's are jigging and chumming. I am still looking for an old type crank meat grinder for the chum. I hope I can find one before the trip.
I am going to go to a few garage sales this weekend and look for one. If not I'll have to slide the electric one out the back door while loading the boat, along with my 1200 watt generator and hope the wife don't see it.

huntin fool
02-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Here are some of my rigs, but am waiting on a Diawa 600 H and Rod to be delivered.
Penn Senator 114 H, an Olympic Dolphin 615, and FXB-500 Shimano and 2 Pinnacle RM 70 spincast with 40 lbs mono. Two other fishermen joining me has their rod of choice with them also.

Rod in the middle of your pic, got a rod just like that from my Great Grandpa..Except its an openface....

QUACKHEAD
02-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Tim's and mine.

huntin fool
02-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Adam, I think it will be good around the rigs for most of what we will catch. You might have a couple that will strip it out a ways, but hopefully Tim will be able to release from the anchor and you guys can chase it down. What pound test you have on it. 30 or better should be ok for the average amberjack, hopefully we can get into some mangrove snapper or a few other good eaters out there. I think Tim will have enough gear on his boat while you guy's are jigging and chumming. I am still looking for an old type crank meat grinder for the chum. I hope I can find one before the trip.
I am going to go to a few garage sales this weekend and look for one. If not I'll have to slide the electric one out the back door while loading the boat, along with my 1200 watt generator and hope the wife don't see it.

check your pm

QUACKHEAD
02-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Your grand pa probly got it before you were born, but it is still a good rod. Real good for bull reds, average snapper, and other 20-30 lbs catches. But if you don't try to winch a catch in you can get 60 - 75 pound class up to the boat for the gaff to pull em over. I'm gonna use it for bait catching.

adamsfence
02-17-2010, 09:43 PM

i have 50lb braid on that rod. probly will break the reel if i hook up with something big

LaAngler
02-17-2010, 09:44 PM
man I'm pumped like w in a corky store..... I'm ready been trying to get to get my clothes together and rods ready my wife has told me to shut up about 500 times over this trip

please buy a spot epirb and a CG approved dry suit, possibly a switlik rescue pod

huntin fool
02-17-2010, 09:45 PM
please buy a spot epirb and a CG approved dry suit, possibly a switlik rescue pod

Could save your life right there.

longsidelandry
02-17-2010, 09:46 PM
i have 50lb tow strap on that rod. probly will break the reel if i hook up with something big
There ya go!

B-Stealth
02-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Yall have a good time be safe.

If you find a size 8 Columbia sandle on GI let me know I lost it there a few years back.

That night made for a very long day at the Lump.:spineyes::puke:

adamsfence
02-17-2010, 09:55 PM

what is the spot epirb and a switlik......i don't know anything about offshore fishing

huntin fool
02-17-2010, 10:01 PM
what is the spot epirb and a switlik......i don't know anything about offshore fishing

idk...sounded like it could save your life though..

bay_slayer
02-17-2010, 10:19 PM
an epirb is a GPS tracking unit that is used by coast guard and other rescue groups to locate you incase of an emergency

QUACKHEAD
02-17-2010, 10:57 PM
It sends out an electronic alert to the coast guard it's location. The dry suit will protect you for about 4 hours from the water temp we have, and will keep the sharks away for about .08 seconds. The extra boat is not a bad idea and is located in the dry hold on the passenger side of my boat. If I can make it to my VHF radio and hit the panic button and the coast guard can get a reading on it, they will be come out there ...hopefully. That is why we are going in TWO boats IF the weather permits and the SEA CONDITIONS permit. We both know the limits of our boats and skill and we will not let a fish get in the way of safety. There is always another day as long as you let SAFETY be in charge. I do appreiciate everyones concern. Both of us has vessels designed for this type of travel as long as we use our experience. I also know that the weather and knowing what changes in the weather has a lot to do with a safe trip. If the seas are 3 ft or more and or is to be 3 to 4 foot later in the day, It will not happen. Can something happen, sure it can. you can only be prepared to best of your ability, file a float path with some one you know, and stick to the plan.
No I don't have a 150 foot crew boat to go out there in, but we are not going in 14 foot flatbottoms either.

Ray
02-17-2010, 11:11 PM
You can rent an eprib from BoatUS.

QUACKHEAD
02-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the info, I will check on it.

Ray
02-18-2010, 12:16 AM
http://www.boatus.com/foundation/EPIRB/default.asp?WT.mc_id=400087

Gerald
02-18-2010, 01:04 AM
And don't under estimate the need for a good anchor at the Lump.

Anchor........10+ feet of heavy chain and 600 feet of rope. And one of those big "balls/floats" to use to get the anchor up from the bottom.....that is a neat way to lift the anchor up to the surface.

On the chum.......recommend you have it all prepaired before you go out on the water. That way you can spend your time fishing and not getting the chum ready.

Have a rod all set up with a steel leader and baited......for when a big Wahoo comes swimming by 15 feet from the boat.

Dink
02-18-2010, 04:57 AM
Now it says high of 57 low of 42.......ugh.......guess ill repack my clothes. LOL!!!! Adam, that should be enough rod for rig fishing. We got that 50 and 30 wide for the chum and trolling fishing......for the anchor, I have a big brake drum I found and a bunch of bugee cords......figure ill just throw that in water when I'm done. Don't wanna have to pull it up! Bruce, thanks for he advise. Like I said the other day, that's on the shopping list bud.....and before you way it, no we ain't gonna die.........were gonna be careful, no worries, like quack said, we ain't in no 30 fters, but we ain't in no flat bottoms either!!!! I know my old tank is ready for what ever we get into............OK, time for bed.......

jpeff31787
02-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Now it says high of 57 low of 42.......ugh.......guess ill repack my clothes. LOL!!!! Adam, that should be enough rod for rig fishing. We got that 50 and 30 wide for the chum and trolling fishing......for the anchor, I have a big brake drum I found and a bunch of bungee cords......figure ill just throw that in water when I'm done. Don't wanna have to pull it up! Bruce, thanks for he advise. Like I said the other day, that's on the shopping list bud.....and before you way it, no we ain't gonna die.........were gonna be careful, no worries, like quack said, we ain't in no 30 fters, but we ain't in no flat bottoms either!!!! I know my old tank is ready for what ever we get into............OK, time for bed.......

what you gonna do with those!

QUACKHEAD
02-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Oh there will be pictures!!!! There's a lingerie show that weekend!!! I may enter quackhead!!!! Hahahaja:shaking::shaking::shaking:

Aint happenin. Homie don't play that ****!:shaking::shaking:

Hey guy's I appreiciate all your suggestions, and it shows me you are all concerned with our safety. Thank you. Tim and I have been planning this trip for well over a month now. Your comments are comforting knowing we have others giving us ideas for our safety. Safety is our #1 item to pack for such a trip. We are going out in 2 boats, Tim's boat and mine. We will be within site every minute of the trip, and both have radio's(VHF) in the boats. We both have chart plotters along with extra GPS's. We both have 600' of anchor rope with 20' or more of heavy chain. We will file a fishing/float path with the marina with a expected time of return. Our family will also have this info with the understanding if we do not call by a certain time they are to call the coast guard and give them our coord's.There are several rigs along the way and from my experiances they all monitor VHF 16 and are willing to help within their means. I use to be a medic out there and have helped with situations of such. We are open to suggestions, but some things are just out of our budget, but will be looked hard at to fit our trip. Thanks. If anyone else would like to follow in their boat, come on, we should have a good time and still room for four more at the cabin.

Dink
02-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Question......phone is wifi capable......will I be able to access a rigs wifi signal??? That would be a HUGE benefit! !!

Jordan
02-18-2010, 12:40 PM
i would think so, if ur close enough....

longsidelandry
02-18-2010, 12:57 PM
I doubt if you will be close enough, I think it will be too high above you for you to get a signal.

QUACKHEAD
02-18-2010, 12:58 PM
and if it is not blocked/password protected/ security networked

longsidelandry
02-18-2010, 12:59 PM
and if it is not blocked/password protected/ security networked
Correct, I'm sure they are.

Dink
02-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Wonder if password would be rig number???? That would make sense???

Ray
02-18-2010, 09:20 PM
There are cell towers out here. Just gotta pay $3 or $4 per minute to use it.
But it is worth it if you are broke down offshore.
I used my cell phone out at WC-180 area before. Worked fine, just hadda pay.

QUACKHEAD
02-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Good to hear Ray. If I'm in need of help that bad, I would pay a hundred a minute. Thanks for the info.

adamsfence
02-18-2010, 09:51 PM
does it matter what carrier ray as in att centential or will they all work

Ray
02-18-2010, 11:38 PM
It didn't matter. You go on the offshore tower, the one I was on belonged to Petrocomm. Roaming cost me $4 per minute back then, but I needed help. It was worth it.
Depending on where you are, keep looking at your phone to see if you are getting a signal.
I was on Mercury Cellular, which is now Sprint, when I got on the offshore tower.
Back when we had a camp at Holly Beach, if you were not careful, sometimes you would be on the offshore tower if you used your phone over there too.
I had to argue with Centennial several times to get the charges knocked off my bill. I was in the Centennial calling area and got hit with the $3 per minute roaming fees.