PDA

View Full Version : fly fisherman.....

cmdrost
02-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Anyone on here fly fish? I've got an old Orvis flyrod I use rarely, but its a good one and has held up. A buddy of mine wants to buy a new one and try to get into it more. Most the one's I've looked at are insanely expensive. Any suggestions?

SULPHITE
02-17-2010, 02:52 PM
CD I used to fly fish...my rod is a cortland and is for bream bass and trout-not specks!

I looked into fly fishing for reds etc and I found one at one time made by "reddington" I think? I can't even remember the action of the rod though...

Medheavy just started on the fly rod maybe he can shed some light on the subject...

speckinabox
02-17-2010, 02:55 PM
CD I used to fly fish...my rod is a cortland and is for bream bass and trout-not specks!

I looked into fly fishing for reds etc and I found one at one time made by "reddington" I think? I can't even remember the action of the rod though...

Medheavy just started on the fly rod maybe he can shed some light on the subject...

When?

SULPHITE
02-17-2010, 03:01 PM
When I was in middle school...

Jordan
02-17-2010, 03:01 PM
50 years ago ? *****

LaAngler
02-17-2010, 03:06 PM
i have tried it but the wind gives me fits, you almost have to leave the baitcasters at the dock.

SULPHITE
02-17-2010, 03:10 PM
I used to practice in my front yard to get the timing and motions down...

cmdrost
02-17-2010, 03:39 PM
its all in the wrist....:rotfl:

SULPHITE
02-17-2010, 03:40 PM
its all in the wrist....:rotfl:

always wondered why the neighbors looked at me all weird!! LOL!!

Mediumheavyaction6'6
02-17-2010, 05:14 PM
i just bought a crosswater combo from bass pro shop a few months ago. it was the best deal as far as the quality of equipment for the price. i want to say the rod and reel both were under $200. I have caught a variety of species on the thing now that I have added leather jackets and mangrove snapper to the list from my keys trip. It is an eight weight rod and reel and from what I have seen and read it will hold up to a bull red with the right finesse. that is my opinion based on what most would consider limited experience.

wtretrievers
02-17-2010, 07:21 PM
CM..........I had an 8 weight made to Red & Bass fish with. Made by A.D. Welch custom rods. He's in Watson, La. If he doesn't purchase one by time of our S.C. Tourney I'll show you 1st hand this rod. I give $120 for it. That's wrapped in choice colors, name with gold titanium guides. Probably can't touch this quality of a rod for less that $200 anywhere else. Have # also if he's interested.

eman
02-17-2010, 09:03 PM
i have tried it but the wind gives me fits, you almost have to leave the baitcasters at the dock.

That's exactly what you have to do, Pick a good day and bring only the fly rod and a selection of flys. If you have an area that you can sight fish the reds ,that's where you want to be w/ your fly rod.

wtretrievers
02-17-2010, 09:07 PM
That's exactly what you have to do, Pick a good day and bring only the fly rod and a selection of flys. If you have an area that you can sight fish the reds ,that's where you want to be w/ your fly rod.
Got tired of catching reds on rod n reel when I was in Venice, would go to Yellow Cotton bay & the wheel & sight fish reds w/ the fly rod. I caught 3 one evening from 26"-28". A FREAKING BLAST! All you can do with a big red on a fly rod is hang on & wish it well!!!!

jchief
02-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Chas, I just sold all my stuff a few months ago because of my neck issues. I had a Temple Fork Outfitters rod, 9 weight. I believe they are around $200 for the rod and it is a great rod for the price.

Call me if you want some more info. Also check on redchaser.com this is Ron Begnauds site. He is in Lake Charles and the guy's post stuff for sale there time to time and Ron may know of something

Reel Bender
02-17-2010, 10:33 PM
I used to practice in my front yard to get the timing and motions down...

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Always seemed to end up wrapped up in the line!:cry:

Gerald
02-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Chas, I just sold all my stuff a few months ago because of my neck issues. I had a Temple Fork Outfitters rod, 9 weight. I believe they are around $200 for the rod and it is a great rod for the price.

Call me if you want some more info. Also check on redchaser.com this is Ron Begnauds site. He is in Lake Charles and the guy's post stuff for sale there time to time and Ron may know of something

This web site has some good information and tips.

But since Ron's wife had the baby ~ 2 years ago....there has been very little traffic......and I believe the forum is turned off.

I have 2 fly rods.....but have given very little effort to catching Reds of specks. I don't know what the rod "weight" is but I think one would hold up to catching a nice Red. The other rod is almost antique.....made of bamoboo and is ~ 50 years old. It is great rod for bream fishing.

I need help to learn what "flys" to get/buy and would love to start using my fly rod again.

wtretrievers
02-18-2010, 12:50 AM
It's cool to watch a red suck a fly in. Most the time they don't crush it like they would a spoon or spinnerbait. They'll just ease up to it & suck it like a big ol goldfish. You can set the hook & sometimes they'll just sit there & shake their head opening their mouth & flaring their gills trying to get rid of it. When they figure out that they can't, HANG ON! Cause you're in for a ride!:eek:

cmdrost
02-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks for all the input fellas! There is some great info in this thread. I've forwarded this on to him.