PDA

View Full Version : Moon Phases and Spawning

jpeff31787
02-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Ok I know the moon phases have something to do with when the fish spawn. Could someone please describe to me the best moon to fish after or before. I see we have a full moon Feb 28th so should fishing that day be good or the days after? I've tried researching it, but had little luck. Ray i know your good at finding facts, lets see what you got!

eman
02-26-2010, 11:33 AM
when iused to fish freshwater i allways tried to fish within 3 days of either side of the full moon. Usually fished at night.
Come to think of it. same w/ trout fishing.

jpeff31787
02-26-2010, 11:37 AM
i know the fish relate to one of the phases to when they would spawn, but just can't remember.

LPfishnTIM
02-26-2010, 11:42 AM
when iused to fish freshwater i allways tried to fish within 3 days of either side of the full moon. Usually fished at night.
Come to think of it. same w/ trout fishing.

I don't know if you noticed but usually there isn't much of a tide on a full moon for at least two days usually the third day after a full moon the tide range is 1.5-2.0ft that is what helps with the trout fishing the tide moves more. I have fished the full moon days in fresh water that isn't effected by tide and have had bad days where the fish just weren't as active. Why? I do not know! On a new moon its the same situation but there isn't any light in the sky at night so the fishing is better in daytime then at night.

jpeff31787
02-26-2010, 11:50 AM
I don't know if you noticed but usually there isn't much of a tide on a full moon for at least two days usually the third day after a full moon the tide range is 1.5-2.0ft that is what helps with the trout fishing the tide moves more. I have fished the full moon days in fresh water that isn't effected by tide and have had bad days where the fish just weren't as active. Why? I do not know! On a new moon its the same situation but there isn't any light in the sky at night so the fishing is better in daytime then at night.

Yeah i know during the hot months that if you fish the day after a full moon the bite is usually slow. I have a bass tournament Feb 28th, and its supposed to be a full moon i guess that night. I was just wondering what to expect

RaginCagin
02-26-2010, 12:24 PM
The moon wont mean anything for spawning with the water temps. ranging from 45-50 degrees in most of the state. Needs to get up to around 63 then the moon phases will come into effect.

Salty
02-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Bob is correct about the full moon but let's not forget the new moon. Fishing is usually good before and after and the tides tend to be bigger.

LPfishnTIM
02-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Yeah i know during the hot months that if you fish the day after a full moon the bite is usually slow. I have a bass tournament Feb 28th, and its supposed to be a full moon i guess that night. I was just wondering what to expect

you probably can expect rain, the water will still be cold and if you hit a bass on the nose with your bait it might bite it!

eman
02-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Where is your tourney on the 28th???

jpeff31787
02-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Where is your tourney on the 28th???

Millers Lake.. the water temp should be around the upper 50s. And its not raining there Sunday lol

RaginCagin
02-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Millers Lake.. the water temp should be around the upper 50s. And its not raining there Sunday lol

It was around 52 this past Saturday.

huntin fool
02-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Pssh forget moonphases...i made a U on a test about them today..However i did learn how tides happen..

I like fishing that entire week and a lil bit of the next during the full moon

The Salty Hog
02-27-2010, 08:28 AM

Fishing ****'s tournement?