PDA

View Full Version : Mako boats

Red Devil
03-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Went by Henderson Implement in Welsh the other day to get some trailer parts. They had two Mako's out front. They seem like decent rigs. Any pros/cons on them. Gimme the dirt. I need to know these things if I'm going to be a bay boat owner one day.:D

fishinpox
03-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Went by Henderson Implement in Welsh the other day to get some trailer parts. They had two Mako's out front. They seem like decent rigs. Any pros/cons on them. Gimme the dirt. I need to know these things if I'm going to be a bay boat owner one day.:D

now they are made by tracker boats. i looked at em at bass pro seems like cheap hatches,hardware. but it does have some killer bow flare looks like a very dry riding boat

all star rod
03-01-2010, 06:38 PM
To verify what POX said I think since tracker marine purchased them they went a little cheap on the hardware, etc. However, if the are 10-15% less than other boat makers, it does not cost too much to replace the hardware......

meaux fishing
03-01-2010, 06:40 PM
they are the same as kenner hulls since tracker bought them out too....

Red Devil
03-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Would ya'll go with the tunnel hull or regular hull. They offer both.

Dink
03-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Would ya'll go with the tunnel hull or regular hull. They offer both.

RD......I would NOT get a new Mako........Go do some research on thehulltruth.com You'll learn alot............

Red Devil
03-01-2010, 07:18 PM
RD......I would NOT get a new Mako........Go do some research on thehulltruth.com You'll learn alot............
Easy big fella. I'm just asking questions. Got a good year or so before I purchase a new boat.

Dink
03-01-2010, 07:20 PM
I didnt mean anything by my comment............just a suggestion.......I've read on there that the old ones are great, and the new ones are trouble........dont remember the specifics.........sorry, didnt mean to come off as brash.......

all star rod
03-01-2010, 07:22 PM
I think they are pretty nice boats. The only thing I do not like about them is the fact if you buy a new one it will have an OBAMA motor hanging off the back of it......ie.....MERC! Also, I would not get nothing less than 21' for a bay boat. Remember asking someone about boat or motor options is like asking someone which truck should I buy: Ford or Chevy.....etc....you will get a lot of different opinions.......

fishinpox
03-01-2010, 07:23 PM
I think they are pretty nice boats. The only thing I do not like about them is the fact if you buy a new one it will have an OBAMA motor hanging off the back of it......ie.....MERC! Also, I would not get nothing less than 21' for a bay boat.

the rolled egde is a huge fishing machine in the 24ft. not hardly any storage but you could fish 6 mofos out that beeotch!!!

BIGJ
03-01-2010, 07:25 PM
I think they are pretty nice boats. The only thing I do not like about them is the fact if you buy a new one it will have an OBAMA motor hanging off the back of it......ie.....MERC! Also, I would not get nothing less than 21' for a bay boat.

I agree with the motor comment.
I feel they lose alot of sales with the motor they offer.

all star rod
03-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Boy W must be eating supper are he would be all over this

Must be STEAK night on the rig!!!!:*****::*****:

meaux fishing
03-01-2010, 07:30 PM
hey... once my merc finally starts in the morning it runs great for the whole day

LaAngler
03-01-2010, 07:32 PM
go with blazer bay over mako

Red Devil
03-01-2010, 07:48 PM
I didnt mean anything by my comment............just a suggestion.......I've read on there that the old ones are great, and the new ones are trouble........dont remember the specifics.........sorry, didnt mean to come off as brash.......
I know you weren't being brash. That's just my way of sayin slow downnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.LMAO

Red Devil
03-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Those are nice too along with the Frontiers. The wife likes the look of the K2's.

longsidelandry
03-01-2010, 07:50 PM
I agree 10000000000%. Those arae some very nice boats and the 2 that I've rode in were very dry in some pretty choppy conditions.

fishinpox
03-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Those are nice too along with the Frontiers. The wife likes the look of the K2's.

ive been lookin at the 2010 2200 bluewave pure bay w a 225 check em out they look bad to the bizone

Dink
03-01-2010, 07:53 PM
http://www.capehornboats.com/page17.html

This is all I gotta say........It's still my screen saver........from time to time My Wife changes it, I change it back when she leaves...........Thing of beauty!!!!

fishinpox
03-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Boating Talk: New player in the Bay Boat world!!!! - SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3938)

This is all I gotta say........It's still my screen saver........from time to time My Wife changes it, I change it back when she leaves...........Thing of beauty!!!!

i forgot about that boat man that is so fine it makes ya wanna cheat on yer wife!!

Red Devil
03-01-2010, 07:57 PM
http://www.capehornboats.com/page17.html

I feel like Larry Flynt at a photo shoot after looking at that thing. GEEEZUSSSSS, that's fine. What's the MSRP on that thing????

Dink
03-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Last I checked 50k..........I'm sure if you get the 300, power pole, color upgrade, etc......it'll go up quick..........Still cheeper than a yellowfin.......I think??

meaux fishing
03-01-2010, 08:29 PM
K2 is the way to go imo... Frontier or BlackJack is gonna be my next boat. Them Kenner boys make some bad axe rides... Tim some people dont like taking a salt shower every time they run their boat:p:rotfl:

speck-chaser
03-01-2010, 08:58 PM
dont forget the pathfinder boys

fishmaster911
03-01-2010, 09:07 PM
I like the frontier boats alot ! I been looking into them for the last month. That's the way I'm gonna go! It's on when May comes around !

all star rod
03-01-2010, 09:12 PM
dont forget the pathfinder boys

Is that the Fusion Series Bay Boat......

LaAngler
03-01-2010, 09:26 PM
one thing to remember, if you stay with the top tier brands, you'll make the money back on resale. as long as you buy slightly used

Speck Attack
03-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Now you are talking....Blazer

Nasty
03-01-2010, 10:16 PM
After doing my countless hours of research on bay boats... like dink said... since bass pro took over kenner/mako the quality dropped. The hulltruth does have some good info over there.

speck-chaser
03-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Is that the Fusion Series Bay Boat......
yep thats it

wtretrievers
03-01-2010, 10:26 PM
After doing my countless hours of research on bay boats... like dink said... since bass pro took over kenner/mako the quality dropped. The hulltruth does have some good info over there.
A buddy has one that's about a year old. It stays in the shop! Seems like after every trip it goes in the shop. Not the hull but the electronics, switches, wiring & axle. It's all under warrenty but dam!!

supercajun
03-01-2010, 10:31 PM
x2 on the blazer bay. my next rig will be the 22pro with 300vmax sho.

Big Kahunaz
03-02-2010, 04:37 AM
mako's (tracker) have had warranty issues..giving you the runaround til you get a lawyer...issues like transom problems...sending you to the company who produced the wood for the transoms and not taking care of it themselves... uneven fabrication: spots only being 1/4 of an inch thick when supposed to be 3/4 of an inch thick on the hull.....sounds like they just want to spit the things off the assembly line as fast as possible ....make a sell & then turn their back on the buyer.

Dink
03-02-2010, 07:44 AM
K2 is the way to go imo... Frontier or BlackJack is gonna be my next boat. Them Kenner boys make some bad axe rides... Tim some people dont like taking a salt shower every time they run their boat:p:rotfl:

Hey man..........low blow eh?? What boat would have been a dry ride in them seas?? besides, it keeps ya awake and alert when at the helm!!! Hows that for diggin deep for an excuse???

"W"
03-02-2010, 08:05 AM
http://www.mercurymarine.com/look_deeper/boat_house_bulletin.php?ID=384&SortBy=Title&Section=outboardChecks&optimax200250=7

meaux fishing
03-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Hey man..........low blow eh?? What boat would have been a dry ride in them seas?? besides, it keeps ya awake and alert when at the helm!!! Hows that for diggin deep for an excuse???
Ill take that excuse... Id say the ole cape horn did pretty good out there considering some of the waves were half the length of the boat tall:eek::help:

LaAngler
03-02-2010, 11:10 AM
i went out on a one year old 28 mako/tracker. the hardware on the boat was falling apart/all gauges broken, lights out, hinges/latches broken. the fiberglass had MAJOR blemishes on the outside of the hull.

owner had pending lawsuit against them, it would have been so much cheaper to go top notch.

Saltwater is NOT easy on boats.

cmdrost
03-02-2010, 11:38 AM
shopped them before I bought my current boat. Tracker didn't really know what they are doing. Mako is the old kenner hull (still good hull), and cheap parts. They went by the book and wouldn't negotiate on prices.

I bought the Frontier instead.

Montauk17
03-02-2010, 12:47 PM
If you want a kenner style hull go with the frontier,hands down.

Ray
03-03-2010, 07:24 PM
The Mako is a great looking boat and it has a lot of nice options on it.
But no one around here could tell me anything about the boat.

Opinions_Vary
03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
I own a Mako 191 with a Suzuki 150. The price of the boat is very attractive at first and it also looks very nice. It is also has a dry ride. However the latches on the baitwell rusted away and I have had to repair it. The dealership hard-wired my trolling motor to the batteries instead of installing a plug, another problem that I had to fix myself. I had to install a fuel-water separator because fiberglass from manufacturing had entered the tank and was clogging the motors filters. I also had to install an onboard charger. The boat also does not come with a jackplate, powerpole, or trimtabs, all things that you will find essential if you do any kind of shallow water fishing. The boat can handle rough water, although I would recommend anything 22 feet or better to the people who can afford it. To summarize, the original attractivness of the boats retail price quickly fades once you start adding all of the essentials that any self respecting bay boat needs to fish the waters of SW Louisiana.

LaAngler
03-08-2010, 02:33 PM
very well said OV

Gerald
03-09-2010, 12:09 AM
I own a Mako 191 with a Suzuki 150. The price of the boat is very attractive at first and it also looks very nice. It is also has a dry ride. However the latches on the baitwell rusted away and I have had to repair it. The dealership hard-wired my trolling motor to the batteries instead of installing a plug, another problem that I had to fix myself. I had to install a fuel-water separator because fiberglass from manufacturing had entered the tank and was clogging the motors filters. I also had to install an onboard charger. The boat also does not come with a jackplate, powerpole, or trimtabs, all things that you will find essential if you do any kind of shallow water fishing. The boat can handle rough water, although I would recommend anything 22 feet or better to the people who can afford it. To summarize, the original attractivness of the boats retail price quickly fades once you start adding all of the essentials that any self respecting bay boat needs to fish the waters of SW Louisiana.

Every report that I have seen........recommends that a trolling motor be hard wired. Having connections, just leads to problems later.

Opinions_Vary
03-09-2010, 08:21 AM
The reason I had to install a plug was due to poor trolling motor performance. When I started investigating I saw where they had made the connection between the trolling wires and the battery wires. When I touched the connection it fell apart, they never ran wires directly from the motor to the batteries, they connected them and it was a mess. I wasn't surprised however because it was indicative of they quality work that was carried out when my vessel was prepped for pickup. Suffice to say I have a much better idea of what to look for the next time i buy a boat.

Loneshark
03-09-2010, 05:16 PM
I also have a Mako and agree and disagree with Opinions Vary. I agree about their choice of hardware. They used self-tapping screws where they needed machine screws and nylon nuts. I spent around $50 dollars on new hardware when I first got the boat 4 years ago and haven't had too many things need to be re-tightened. It is aggravating having to change stuff on a new boat but it really isn't that hard to do.

I disagree with the comment about the options because they can be added to any boat for probably less than the dealer would install them for.

My boat is the 192 model and has higher sides than the bay boats so I don't know how they ride. The ride of mine is very dry but I still wish it was two feet longer. LOL. The worst part about buying a Mako is finding a good dealer to buy from. If you ever want to go for a ride let me know.