PDA

View Full Version : Fly rod

Red Devil
03-10-2010, 09:40 PM
My uncle gave me this rod when I was 13 yrs old. It's been in the case ever since he has given it to me and as far as I know it has never had a reel put on it. Have no clue what it's worth, but it is one fine rod. It's 9 ft and in immaculate condition. Anyone know anything about these?

FF_T_Warren
03-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I know nothing about em but from the looks of that thing, Id bet its worth some money

Gerald
03-10-2010, 10:40 PM
What material is it made of??

SULPHITE
03-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Might try posting it on a fly rod forum...

Red Devil
03-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Looks like some 1st generation fiberglass. But what do I know.

Bluechip
03-10-2010, 11:22 PM
That rod looks cool....I wonder if this named after Ted Williams the baseball player ???

Bluechip
03-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Re: Ted Williams Fly Rod

After doing a bit of research, it seems Ted Williams lent his name to a wide variety of sporting products for Sears back in the day, up till the early 70s. Everything from monofilament line to recurve bows to gun cleaning kits. Most of Ted Williams model products are fishing gear, but varies from fly gear to saltwater spinning rods, So, its possible that Ted never had anything to do with the development with most of the stuff, unlike current trends in fly rods.

Mediumheavyaction6'6
03-11-2010, 06:41 AM
Yeah, i was going to say that when we went to the Keys a while back one of the guys brought a tent from 1963. It was from Sears and had the name Ted Williams on it. The canvas it was made out of was the same look and color of the case your fly rod is in.

Red Devil
03-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Re: Ted Williams Fly Rod

After doing a bit of research, it seems Ted Williams lent his name to a wide variety of sporting products for Sears back in the day, up till the early 70s. Everything from monofilament line to recurve bows to gun cleaning kits. Most of Ted Williams model products are fishing gear, but varies from fly gear to saltwater spinning rods, So, its possible that Ted never had anything to do with the development with most of the stuff, unlike current trends in fly rods.

I found some of the same info on the net, but I also asked myself, why would a guy who was in his 60's twenty six years ago have a rod that he never used still in the case and decide to give it to me? He had the finest things when it came to hunting and fishing. Charles Daly shotguns, Browning, Remington, Winchesters. He was very into wade fishing and upland game bird hunting. A true outdoorsman. He was a stickler about his things. He was alos the one who taught me how to fish with the old Ambassador reels. Hell I was 12 years old wondering what the hell am I doing out here? Ahhhhh the good times. I'm gonna do some more research on this rod. The only thing on the shaft of it is the name and the number 92-2. None of which look like production run labeling.