PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota shaft failed!

Nasty
03-13-2010, 05:44 PM
At the SC tournament today, I hit an underwater oyster pile/rock and it caused the shaft of my Minn Kota to splinter down the middle from top to bottom. Aren't these shafts guaranteed for life? If so, can I get it replaced for free through a local shop? I thought I remembered Minn Kota bragging about their composite shaft-- the shaft is a pos. I'll get pics as soon as I can.

Gerald
03-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Yes....lifetime. I did not read if this is for ALL their TM.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/advantage/saltwater.aspx

evis102
03-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Did it happen in West Cove infront of 3 waders?

Nasty
03-14-2010, 09:29 AM
We were trying to go around them to get to the cut and fish some flounder. We would of normally went straight in... but went south to avoid them fishing. I also didn't realize the water was 2 foot lower than normal. And... smash... splintered shaft. If that was you'll ... I assume you heard some cursing. We had to throw out the anchor to avoid hitting the bank because the breaker on the trolling motor tripped. Bad timing for sure. That pretty much pissed me off and ruined my day. I never encountered WC that low before. We did not want to mess up the waders just wanted to get into the cut for some flounder.

specktator
03-14-2010, 09:48 AM
I came out the water yest and went to put my transom saver on. Noticed I busted my prop all up. When I went to trailer my boat, the water at Hebert's launch was 1ft! I guess it happened there. I never noticed it so have no idea where it did. Bad day for a few apparently!

Ray
03-14-2010, 12:36 PM
There was a couple guys in a Skeeter with an Evinrude that saw us plowing a big reef in West Cove.

Nasty
03-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Few pics...

evis102
03-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Just take it to a Minn Kota repair shop from there web site they will fix it for free. I did the same thing to one about 4 years ago and DHP in Lake Charles fixed it free with no hassle.

huntin fool
03-14-2010, 05:47 PM
There was a couple guys in a Skeeter with an Evinrude that saw us plowing a big reef in West Cove.

Jeff and his boys.

Heard you was throwin a corky on the back side of the weirs aswell! :work: :help:

fishinpox
03-14-2010, 06:16 PM
i snapped mine in half before they fixed it for free but after that it never worked the same i threw that pos minn kota away and bought a motor guide cuz you can still fish with a bent tm shaft

Ray
03-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Jeff and his boys.

Heard you was throwin a corky on the back side of the weirs aswell! :work: :help:

Dead Swimps inside and outside the weirs. And at the jetty's. Was trying to
catch a big nasty trash fish, anywhere I could.

I seen the boat that spanked W back there too.

Nasty
03-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Update on shaft... in order to get it replaced for free... you must be the original purchaser and have proof of that purchase... I don't have either. Looks like I will glue it together and put some stainless steel clamps around it. I will have to wait next summer to buy a replacement. I will just make due with what I have. I am pretty sure I will go motorguide with 24 volt 80 lbs thrust or 36 volt 100 lbs thrust in the future.

Salty
03-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Update on shaft... in order to get it replaced for free... you must be the original purchaser and have proof of that purchase... I don't have either. Looks like I will glue it together and put some stainless steel clamps around it. I will have to wait next summer to buy a replacement. I will just make due with what I have. I am pretty sure I will go motorguide with 24 volt 80 lbs thrust or 36 volt 100 lbs thrust in the future.

Good choice........stainless steel won't splinter.

all star rod
03-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Just wondering how much is a replacement shaft and what length is it....

adamsfence
03-15-2010, 08:03 PM
call minn kota up and pop a wheely they sent me a whole new trolling motor and a upgrade from the one i had. they never not once asked me for a reciept

Salty
03-15-2010, 08:09 PM
call minn kota up and pop a wheely they sent me a whole new trolling motor and a upgrade from the one i had. they never not once asked me for a reciept

I agree!!!!!!! They rave about their composite shaft........put up or shut up.

Nasty
03-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Yep, I will call Minn kota and raise a little hell and make sure they know they need to stand behind their product. Or, will let everyone know how ****ty their company is and composite shaft is.

adamsfence
03-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Yep, I will call Minn kota and raise a little hell and make sure they know they need to stand behind their product. Or, will let everyone know how ****ty their company is and composite shaft is.

that is exactly what i did....i told them i fish all kinds of tournaments and i would bad mouth them everychance i got and they hooked me up. the mechanic that worked on it called me personally and told me i would not be disappointed. and until this one gives me problems im happy

Nasty
03-15-2010, 09:35 PM
hear ya fence!

Nasty
03-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Fence, did you raise hell with Minn Kota or the repair shop?

adamsfence
03-15-2010, 10:02 PM
repair shops was no help they would just replace the part and would not fix what was making the part bad. so i had to ship it to minn kota. i got on there website and got there number. mine was under warranty. you may be a different deal but they were very helpful. you can send them a email and they will call you back. don't know how much it cost to buy a new shaft but it was 50 bucks to ship the whole unit so you may want to look into that

Nasty
03-19-2010, 05:42 PM
The cost of a new shaft is $90. Minn Kota will cover parts only-- not labor. Labor will cost $75. So for $75 it can be fixed. I'm pretty sure a stainless steel shaft wouldn't even of blinked. The composite shaft folded like a cheap lawn chair.

fishinpox
03-19-2010, 05:47 PM
The cost of a new shaft is $90. Minn Kota will cover parts only-- not labor. Labor will cost $75. So for $75 it can be fixed. I'm pretty sure a stainless steel shaft wouldn't even of blinked. The composite shaft folded like a cheap lawn chair.

you CAN buy a stainless shaft for the minn kota . pm me if intrested

evis102
03-19-2010, 08:18 PM

I seen it happen, it would have put a 90 degree bend in a SS shaft.

Nasty
03-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Can the metal be bent straight again? after heating?

Bluechip
03-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Can the metal be bent straight again? after heating?

I have straightened mine a few times....I stay away from the heat if possible...

I have welded pieces of metal, pipe couplings or whatever I have laying around to the table and make a jig for straightening...just take your time and go slow, a little pull and move it and another little pull...you can straighten them pretty good with a little patience.

adamsfence
03-19-2010, 09:39 PM
man i have hit alot of stumps in mine it hasn't splintered yet.......the piece at the top that it mounts too has even broke but not the shaft