PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Replacing Trolling Motor Rope

EPaul
03-27-2010, 07:33 PM
I have Motor Guide SW-HB 71 lb thrust trolling motor. The rope broke last time out when Seeing Spots got his $9 swim bait caught on a reef and we went in after it. Ended up on the reef and went to pull up the trolling motor and the rope broke.

I bought a replacement and I have been outside for the past hour trying to thread the rope through the designated openings. No success so far. Any suggestions for me? There has to be a trick that someone knows that will make this easier. Thanks.

specktator
03-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Ewww man. Had same thing happen to me. I couldn't do it so I brought it to superior trolling in Lafayette. And they charged me I wanna say almost $100 to do it! Prob the most rediculous expense I have encountered thus far in my fishin career. I would try to figure it out!

Loneshark
03-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Don't know exactly what you are fifgting but this may help. First staightening out a coat hanger then with electrial tape put a couple wraps around the end of the hanger. Then twist the tape a couple of times (about two inches). Then put a couple of wraps of tape on the end of the rope. Then just pass the hanger through the hole. Hope it helps!!!

fishinpox
03-27-2010, 07:53 PM
call 225 928 9644 ask for ken. or pm all star rod on here i think i remember him telling me that he had the same problem b4

EPaul
03-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Success! I finally decided that there was no real trick to this. It was just going to take trial and error, as I am the least mechanical person that I know. The problem was that I had to go down the top hole and make a turn into a very narrow passage to get it to the "hinge" to tie it off. The rope itself was too flimsy to make the turn. Coat hangar wire was too rigid. I finally used some trailer light wire and after 1000 attempts to make the turn, I got lucky. Then the problem was that the wire with electrical tape holding the rope was too bulky to make it back through. So then I threaded a thin metallic wire back through using the trailer wire, and then used this wire to thread the rope through. What a task for a guy who's family would starve if he had to make a living with his hands! Thanks for the help!

Jordan
03-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Nice job man

Salty
03-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Persistence is priceless.

Jordan
03-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Persistence is priceless.

This is true--- ask "W"

bay_slayer
03-27-2010, 11:25 PM
I love watching "persistence" at the boat landing

SULPHITE
03-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Success! I finally decided that there was no real trick to this. It was just going to take trial and error, as I am the least mechanical person that I know. The problem was that I had to go down the top hole and make a turn into a very narrow passage to get it to the "hinge" to tie it off. The rope itself was too flimsy to make the turn. Coat hangar wire was too rigid. I finally used some trailer light wire and after 1000 attempts to make the turn, I got lucky. Then the problem was that the wire with electrical tape holding the rope was too bulky to make it back through. So then I threaded a thin metallic wire back through using the trailer wire, and then used this wire to thread the rope through. What a task for a guy who's family would starve if he had to make a living with his hands! Thanks for the help!

Sounds like there would've been a trolling motor skidding across my drive way! LOL! Nice patience!

Gerald
03-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Most task that we do, could be done in a fraction of the time that it took to complete it the first time.