PDA

View Full Version : Which Browning?

Is it October YET?
04-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Alright I have narrowed it down to the Browning X bolt stainless stalker or the BAR longtrac stalker. I am buying it for myself and my 11 to use next season and my 4 year old in a few years so it will be a .270. The X bolt is a better feeling and balanced gun over the BAR. Is the recoil reduction in the BAR worth sacraficing the comfort? I don't want my kids giving up because they are scared of the recoil. I really want the X bolt but I would rather hunt with them. I have one of the Limbsaver pads that you can slip on to add dampening. Has anyone shot both and is the BAR a lot less recoil than the Xbolt?

LaAngler
04-06-2010, 11:01 AM
BAR has a lot less felt recoil, but you could be giving up an inch of accuracy. Buddy of mine has a BAR safari in .308 he loves it (shoots < 1 moa). I've heard the BARs do well in 30 caliber since .308 & 30-06 were used for so long in auto's. could be an old wives tale who knows.

.270 has a pretty harsh recoil in a lighter bolt gun. That's why i got a 7-08.

longsidelandry
04-06-2010, 11:17 AM
I've been shooting my .270 bolt action since Jr. High and will get another one if/when this one falls apart. My 7 year old cousin shot it for a while and I believe my younger brother used it when I couldn't hunt due to shoulder surgery, he was around 7 or 8 at the time.

FF_T_Warren
04-06-2010, 11:58 AM
270 is a rather big gun for an 11 y/o. Very likely to develop a flinch when shooting it that young. Ps. get a rem 700

wtretrievers
04-06-2010, 12:23 PM
BAR will be a little heavier, as far as which shoots a tighter group......you're shooting deer, not chimunks. You still need to come by the camp & look at this gun for those boys.

Is it October YET?
04-06-2010, 03:14 PM
BAR will be a little heavier, as far as which shoots a tighter group......you're shooting deer, not chimunks. You still need to come by the camp & look at this gun for those boys.

I'm heading up this weekend. Are you going? And refresh my memory as to which gun you talking about.

wtretrievers
04-06-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm heading up this weekend. Are you going? And refresh my memory as to which gun you talking about.

I'm going this w/e.
Ruger compact, I'll bring it.

Too Tall
04-08-2010, 01:14 AM
I have one of the Limbsaver pads that you can slip on to add dampening. Has anyone shot both and is the BAR a lot less recoil than the Xbolt?I'd go with the X Bolt over the BAR. You can get managed recoil rounds for the 270. That would help the kids more than adding length to the gun as a limbsaver would do.

JMBroussard83
04-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Neither one, I'd buy a Rem 700 and with the money you'd save you could buy the kids a .243 or 7mm-08 to pass around. I love my Remington rifles, every one I've had has shot 1" groups or less at 100yrds out of the box. But if you must choose the Browning I'd say go with the one that feels more comfortable. The recoil shouldn't be too bad in a .270.

Is it October YET?
04-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Neither one, I'd buy a Rem 700 and with the money you'd save you could buy the kids a .243 or 7mm-08 to pass around. I love my Remington rifles, every one I've had has shot 1" groups or less at 100yrds out of the box. But if you must choose the Browning I'd say go with the one that feels more comfortable. The recoil shouldn't be too bad in a .270.

The reason I want a Browning is that they last forever and are of a higher quality.:D The Remington just seems cheaply made when you hold it beside a Browning. To each their own I guess...I'm just going to buy the kids something else like wtretrievers Ruger then just sell it when they get older. The wife is going to love me buying two guns.:help:

FF_T_Warren
04-08-2010, 05:19 PM
The reason I want a Browning is that they last forever and are of a higher quality.:D The Remington just seems cheaply made when you hold it beside a Browning. To each their own I guess...I'm just going to buy the kids something else like wtretrievers Ruger then just sell it when they get older. The wife is going to love me buying two guns.:help:

cheep quality? what models are you looking at? Rem is a better gun than browning. Go check out shooting forums and see how many people are shooting brownings for great accuracy and reliability. I have been involved with one of the top shooting forums for about 6 months now and I haven't heard of one person on their using a browning rifle or browning actions, etc. however rem is used very frequently.

Good luck with your purchase but as said before you can get a better rifle for much less, with browning you paying for a name.

Not to say that browning is a total piece of junk or nothing, they are nice guns. But they are extremely overpriced because of the name. Because you can get better guns for cheaper

LaAngler
04-08-2010, 05:35 PM
IMHO (try not to get burned at the stake here) Browning has always made top notch shotguns, pistols, and some NICE hunting rifles.

John Browning is probably the greatest firearms designer.....EVER.

I would agree that if you compare a bone stock remmy sps vs. a browning synthetic x or a bolt, the browning probably has a better fit and finish. The accuracy will be comparable.

this rifle is basically the same 700 i built, and there's really nothing cheap about it

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-cdl-sf-limited-edition-2010.aspx

anyways, this thread is about brownings, sorry

FF_T_Warren
04-08-2010, 05:41 PM
IMHO (try not to get burned at the stake here) Browning has always made top notch shotguns, pistols, and some NICE hunting rifles.

John Browning is probably the greatest firearms designer.....EVER.

I would agree that if you compare a bone stock remmy sps vs. a browning synthetic x or a bolt, the browning probably has a better fit and finish. The accuracy will be comparable.

this rifle is basically the same 700 i built, and there's really nothing cheap about it

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-cdl-sf-limited-edition-2010.aspx

True on the looks. the older rem700adl is much better looking than the new ones(I hate the wood stock with a plastic cap on the forend, that looks like junk) but is that worth the price for em. Not a chance in my opinion because the stock on the browning would be the only thing that catches my eye over the rem but if you were to have the same stock stocks as rem used to use, I think spending the money on the browning would just be insane.

BIGJ
04-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Buy a Browning over the Remington and you won't be sorry.
The reason most people buy Remington is because they can't afford
or don't want to spend the extra money on a Browning.

Now back to the question.
I have a Bar and A-Bolt .270. Both are great guns but I perfer the BAR.
I have been shooting this gun for 20+ years and no problems at all.
Will but the X-Bolt soon.

FF_T_Warren
04-09-2010, 06:25 AM
That's a good theory but not accurate. I personally have over $4500 tied up in 3 guns, so I have the money to afford a browning. However I would never buy one because all it is is an overpriced name. What about the browning makes it better than the rem? And don't say stock b/c those can be replaced and already talked about that. If they ain't taken care of they gonna rust just like a rem and obviously rem actions shoot better because I've never heard of anyone building a high dollar/accuracy rifle on a browning action.

specktator
04-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Get the X-bolt with a BOSS. I started shooting a 300 win mag browning a-bolt when I was prob 11 or 12 years old. With the BOSS, that .270 will kick like a 243. But it will be loud so make sure to use good hearing protection. If u don't know a BOSS is a recoil reducer. I been shootin brownings all my life. And would never change unless it was to something better like a sako or something.

Shwane
04-09-2010, 08:28 AM
I've never heard of anyone building a high dollar/accuracy rifle on a browning action

Yes you have. As seen here (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8436&page=2)

Rem is a better gun than browning

Thats your opinion. A rather un informed one, but still, your's.

FF_T_Warren
04-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Yes you have. As seen here (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8436&page=2)

Thats your opinion. A rather un informed one, but still, your's.

yea you are the only one I've heard of. And I've talked to several very experienced shooters and they felt the same way I did, very hard to believe. It can be done but to consistently hold .25moa is highly unlikely with that gun and if you are then you need to shoot competition

FF_T_Warren
04-09-2010, 12:46 PM
My biggest thing with browning is it's just overpriced simple as that. It's not a piece of junk or nothing but why pay several hundred dollars more for the same or less quality rifle as the much cheaper rem. I'll tell you, to have a lil deer head sticker for the back glass of your truck and the name. There's nothing about it that makes it a better purchase. I mean there's no super weather protection on it that makes it special or nothing. You can get the same or better performance out of a rem. That's all I'm trying to say. It's not that it's a piece of junk, it's just way overpriced

specktator
04-09-2010, 04:12 PM
I paid $650 for my abolt 300wsm with a boss. It was a few years back but I think overpriced would have to be in the $1k range. I paid right around $1300 for my abolt and a Zeiss Conquest 4-12x50. Seemed like a pretty good deal to me. I paid $1700 for my sbe II. Get what ya pay for! I stay away from "Remington Country!" lol

LaAngler
04-09-2010, 04:35 PM
all right screw all this, let's have a "shoot" off at sherburne. :*****:

FF_T_Warren
04-09-2010, 05:26 PM

Lol. I just wanna see this 1.25" group at 500 yds

LaAngler
04-09-2010, 11:51 PM
i'd probably rather have a model 70 winchester with the mauser type claw extractor than a browning

they're both made by FN

Dink
04-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Don't make me go out there and out shoot Yuo with my open sights again bruce........

Fishmaster
04-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Don't make me go out there and out shoot Yuo with my open sights again bruce........
Buzz posting is drunk posting

:help:

Dink
04-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Buzz posting is drunk posting

:help:

Hell boy, ill call you out too......ask Bruce how I shoot with open sights........bring it on kid........ill shoot your one pube off at 100 yrds

Fishmaster
04-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Hell boy, ill call you out too......ask Bruce how I shoot with open sights........bring it on kid........ill shoot your one pube off at 100 yrds
LMAO :eek:

I'll let you try that out on Bruce first ;)

JMBroussard83
04-10-2010, 01:43 AM

Not good enough. For a real shootoff you need at least a 300yd range.

JMBroussard83
04-10-2010, 01:47 AM
LOL, my wife can shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with her Mossberg .270
kinda blew me away, she stopped shooting the shoot-n-see targets and started shooting the 1" black dots that cover your previous holes!

specktator
04-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Not good enough. For a real shootoff you need at least a 300yd range.

They have a 300 yard range I shoot at in eunice but u have to be a member!

Shwane
04-10-2010, 09:07 AM
To keep on point, any Browning you chose you will like. I really like the short bolt throw. It's nice when you're shooting 40-50 rounds a day. It saves you from knuckle banging your optics all day. Remmy's make some nice rifles also. Lots of shooters on my team use them. I really cant knock them. They are cheaper to build and have a reasonably good frame to start with.
A bolt .270 will have a good bit of recoil. Maybe too much for an 11/yo. Just my opinion. Try someone's 270 ad see if he likes it. For you, recoil is no prob on that round. Then theres the B.O.S.S. It will kick like a .223 and sound like a howitzer. The muzzle blast alone can cause a flinch. But, with hearing protection should be no problem. Try it out.

Hope this helps

Lol. I just wanna see this 1.25" group at 500 yds

Im at work for another two weeks. When I get back I have a shoot with some S.R.T. guys in Florida. Ill record some shot groups and have the range master verify.

I say we make a wager. You name the terms and how to prove these shot groups (within reason) and I'll come up with the payment terms. Let, me know if your game.

Heres some things I'll need to get the group.
I need at least 12-14 shots to gauge my crosswinds. Also, maybe a few more depending on the temp. I will be shooting from a bipod with a rear sandbag (for rear support from my shoulder, not to isolate the rifle) and a spotter calling in my shots. That about covers it.

FF_T_Warren
04-10-2010, 09:14 AM
To keep on point, any Browning you chose you will like. I really like the short bolt throw. It's nice when you're shooting 40-50 rounds a day. It saves you from knuckle banging your optics all day. Remmy's make some nice rifles also. Lots of shooters on my team use them. I really cant knock them. They are cheaper to build and have a reasonably good frame to start with.
A bolt .270 will have a good bit of recoil. Maybe too much for an 11/yo. Just my opinion. Try someone's 270 ad see if he likes it. For you, recoil is no prob on that round. Then theres the B.O.S.S. It will kick like a .223 and sound like a howitzer. The muzzle blast alone can cause a flinch. But, with hearing protection should be no problem. Try it out.

Hope this helps

Im at work for another two weeks. When I get back I have a shoot with some S.R.T. guys in Florida. Ill record some shot groups and have the range master verify.

I say we make a wager. You name the terms and how to prove these shot groups (within reason) and I'll come up with the payment terms. Let, me know if your game.

Heres some things I'll need to get the group.
I need at least 12-14 shots to gauge my crosswinds. Also, maybe a few more depending on the temp. I will be shooting from a bipod with a rear sandbag (for rear support from my shoulder, not to isolate the rifle) and a spotter calling in my shots. That about covers it.

Im not trying to bet you cant do it, Im just saying from my own experience and the responses from several competitive shooters is that to consistently shoot .25 moa with that rifle would be slim and none. It could be done but not likely. and being as I'm not a betting man on anything, I aint putting my money on it. I would just like to see it. and not just one 3 shot string. I'd like to see like 3 sets of 5 shot strings holding .25moa at 500yds cuz thats what makes your gun a 1/4 gun not a single 3 shot string. but from your responses you seem to already know that and have confidence that you can. I would just like to see it. and if you can then you need to start competing

Is it October YET?
04-12-2010, 08:05 PM
jack my thread like a sumb #&^. Simmer down fellas. Its just a gun. Life is to short to turn my thread into a W pissin match. The Remington website says that the 700's start in the $700 and $900 range. I can get a new X bolt stainless stalker for $850 bare.

FF_T_Warren
04-12-2010, 08:50 PM
700 and 900? only 700s that Ive seen for that march are your 700p or 5R or other higher end 700s. most normal hunting 700s go for like 400-500 unless its just been that big of a price jump since I bought one

TroutSlayer90
04-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Before you go out and buy anything for a kid, look at his/her build. In all my years of teaching and participating in shooting sports, I have seen 9 year olds that look like 5 year olds and some that look like 13 year olds. Every kid is different, but it is honestly better to start them out on a smaller caliber gun. ex. .243, 7mm-08.

Is it October YET?
04-13-2010, 02:00 PM
700 and 900? only 700s that Ive seen for that march are your 700p or 5R or other higher end 700s. most normal hunting 700s go for like 400-500 unless its just been that big of a price jump since I bought one

Go to the Rem website and look at the models of rifles. In the upper right side it will tell you the starting price.

FF_T_Warren
04-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Wow I cant believe that. That is nuts. Even on gunbroker they going for 700+. I cant believe they have gone up that much since I bought mine. When I was shopping for mine a lil over 10 years ago they were 1/2 that msrp. I bought mine slightly used at a pawn shop with a scope for 400 or maybe even 375 and a new one was like 500 i believe. In that case I guess go with which ever one suits you best cuz rem aint cheep no more. I mean heck I just bought my 700p with heavy barrel, hs stock, etc. for like $800, 3 years ago. I got somewhat of a deal on it but it was $900 in stores