PDA

View Full Version : Sheared trollimg motor pin

huntin fool
04-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Yep.. Sheared the pin, now it won't come out. ANy tips?? tried everything that i know of so far.

B-Stealth
04-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Oil and patience.

Small hammer, and punch.

Be very carefull not to bend shaft.

yak'em-n-stack'em
04-11-2010, 11:12 AM
you got the prop off im assuming?

just take a punch and a hammer and get it out

we used to have to do it quite a bit when i fished the river

always kept 3 or 4 spares

Gerald
04-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Try using a small nail as the punch that just fits the hole size. It is best if you can file off the point or cut the tip of the nail off. Coat hanger wire maybe about the right size.

If this does not work.....try putting some oil or even better....some "liquid wrench" on it to loosen it up some. Then try the Punch again.

PM me if you still can't get out. The shear pin is made of a soft metal.....so it will break before more damage is done to the trolling motor. Some other kind of metal can be used to "get you going" again. But buy a [or several] shear pins as soon as possible.

huntin fool
04-11-2010, 12:12 PM
drilled it out..tried all the above statements but drilled it out worked better.

i was careful not to bend the shaft

Will"E"Fish
04-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Did you loose the prop/ If so what kind of trolling motor.

huntin fool
04-11-2010, 08:22 PM
no i didn't lose the prop..

I was fishing a big ole tree-top, and i was all up in there, lol.

Out of no-where about 20 wasp decided to come at me, well i slammed her in reverse and dropped to the floor, and it hit log.

Red Devil
04-11-2010, 09:07 PM
no i didn't lose the prop..

I was fishing a big ole tree-top, and i was all up in there, lol.

Out of no-where about 20 wasp decided to come at me, well i slammed her in reverse and dropped to the floor, and it hit log.
You ain't supposed to cast at em. They tend to chase you when you do that!!!!!! Or maybe you casted in the tree???:rolleyes:

huntin fool
04-11-2010, 09:09 PM
You ain't supposed to cast at em. They tend to chase you when you do that!!!!!! Or maybe you casted in the tree???:rolleyes:

to my knowledge, i didn't do anything to them, maybe my boat hit the tree? i don't know.

I call this spot the "sticks". Its perfect. Like one of the spots you see the pros on outdoor channel flippin in down in mexico.

Red Devil
04-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Ahhh I got ya. At least you didn't have to bail out the boat several time like I have. LMAO

huntin fool
04-11-2010, 09:18 PM
that was the next option...but the water temp kinda put a damper on that

Raymond
04-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Yep.. Sheared the pin, now it won't come out. ANy tips?? tried everything that i know of so far.

Wonder if Corrosion X would help prevent the rust on these pins that cause them to fatigue and eventually break. Yes, I know they are designed to break to save the shaft and prop but, sure would make them easier to get out when it happens.;)