PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable life jackets

jchief
04-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Who has them and do you like them. Looking at getting some

thanks

longsidelandry
04-20-2010, 09:13 PM
I have one and I love it. I have the camo Cabela's brand.

Bluechip
04-20-2010, 09:15 PM
I have one and I love it. I have the camo Cabela's brand.

If you are traveling through a rain storm do you have to protect the sensor that activates the PFD???

longsidelandry
04-20-2010, 09:22 PM
If you are traveling through a rain storm do you have to protect the sensor that activates the PFD???
No, it's tucked away inside of the "case" I guess you can call it. I do have to take the automatic activator off when I won't be using it for a while though because it will inflate from the humidity.

Sea-Trac Offshore
04-21-2010, 08:26 PM
There are 2 different kinds that are made that activate the co2. One has a paper like element that when wet or humid will set it off. The other has to be submerged as it has a hydrostatic release

Dink
04-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Once inflated.....is it throw away time? Or repackaged it and put another cartridge?

Bluechip
04-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Once inflated.....is it throw away time? Or repackaged it and put another cartridge?

The ones I saw, you could let the air out and put another charge on them.

jchief
04-21-2010, 08:59 PM
There are 2 different kinds that are made that activate the co2. One has a paper like element that when wet or humid will set it off. The other has to be submerged as it has a hydrostatic release

Who makes the ones that have the hydrostatice relase?

Loneshark
04-21-2010, 09:44 PM
I have the fanny pack kind but wear a regular vest also while running in the dark. My thinking is during the day you are a lot less likely to collide with something and be knocked unconscious.

longsidelandry
04-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Do you know if I could swap out the activators on mine? I would rather have the one with the hydrostatic release so I don't have to keep buying the little activators every time I forget to swap it out.

Ray
04-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Mustang and West Marine has the hydrostatic device.

shellman
04-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Have (3) hydrostatic from West Marine and I likes em...

RajunCajun2
05-05-2010, 09:43 PM
I bought a few from Cabellas with the little pill activator. Had them stored in the storage compartment in my boat....completely closed in my shed and the Louisiana humidity activated them....TWICE. Returned them and bought conventionals. I would suggest storing them inside of your house where there is MUCH less humidity when not in use.

longsidelandry
05-05-2010, 09:50 PM
I bought a few from Cabellas with the little pill activator. Had them stored in the storage compartment in my boat....completely closed in my shed and the Louisiana humidity activated them....TWICE. Returned them and bought conventionals. I would suggest storing them inside of your house where there is MUCH less humidity when not in use.
I think I have the same ones (I'm guessing about this since mine are Cabella's brand also), I just replace the automatic activators with the manual ones when I get back home then put the automatic ones in a ziploc.

Dink
05-06-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm guessing that after x number of uses on the water that they can inflate without you wanting them to??? Does the activation devise hold moisture? Or does it dry out during storage indoors?

wtretrievers
05-06-2010, 09:13 AM
I'd hate to have a life vest that I would have to bring indoors, I'd forget & leave it at home!

Dink
05-06-2010, 10:28 AM
What an eye opener it would be to have that thing go off unexpected! !!! I'd probably have a heart attack and fall out the boat!!!

Ray
05-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Hydrostatic will not activate due to moisture. It has to be submerged.
There are some that have a pill that disolves, that is the one that activates with moisture.