SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Laffy Shooting (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41194)

Lake Chuck Duck 02-11-2013 01:18 PM

When comitting crimes like burglary you always run the risk of getting shot at. That being said the 18yo has no right to shoot at a fleeing vehicle on a public road, he should have known better. It hasnt been said if the teens had a fire arm or not. I assume they didnt.

Finfeatherfur 02-11-2013 01:41 PM

Story around the office cooler here at my office in Lafayette is that these boys were trying to go meet some friends. Rumor had it that they were not trying to break into any vehicles at all, but one of them knew the house and the brother of the shooter. He also knew that beer was kept in an outdoor fridge, thus they were trying to score some suds.

If that is the case, how tradgic for all involved! - Hell, even I was trying to score some suds at 15. On another note, WTH is LPD charging this guy with 1st degree anyway. That does not seem like the right charge along with 2 counts attempted 1st degree. I didn't go to law school, or sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but seems like manslaughter is more appropiate.

meaux fishing 02-11-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur (Post 547859)
Story around the office cooler here at my office in Lafayette is that these boys were trying to go meet some friends. Rumor had it that they were not trying to break into any vehicles at all, but one of them knew the house and the brother of the shooter. He also knew that beer was kept in an outdoor fridge, thus they were trying to score some suds.

If that is the case, how tradgic for all involved! - Hell, even I was trying to score some suds at 15. On another note, WTH is LPD charging this guy with 1st degree anyway. That does not seem like the right charge along with 2 counts attempted 1st degree. I didn't go to law school, or sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but seems like manslaughter is more appropiate.

I was wondering about that because isn't first-degree premeditated?

southern151 02-11-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 547868)
I was wondering about that because isn't first-degree premeditated?

I've seen a lot of homicides start out as 1st deg and then get reduced to 2nd. As I was told, with 1st deg having the potential for the death penalty, it costs more to go that route than 2nd deg which is mandatory life sentence. Amazes me that it costs more to put one to death than it does to house them for the rest of their living days!:pissed:

Anyway, back on topic, I'm sure the charges will be reduced somewhat. I'd also bet that this young man will likely spend many years in prison for this. Is that right or wrong, I can't say. I don't know what all happened.

Bad deal, either way.

whunter29 02-11-2013 02:20 PM

Just my opinion but I don't feel the shooter deserves to be locked up at all if they were breaking into his truck. I understand that he was wrong for firing shots off at a fleeing truck but to wrongs don't make a right.

Dink 02-11-2013 02:30 PM

Seth is going down. And he should. There was no threat, he shouldve never pulled the gun out much less pulled the trigger

swampman46 02-11-2013 02:39 PM

...and as a side note...more fuel in the fire on the side of firearm opponents. :(

evidrine 02-11-2013 02:45 PM

Did they release the names of the kids that were shot yet?

Lake Chuck Duck 02-11-2013 02:47 PM

Also, this is what happens when you dont get help from police, people take matters into their own hands. Cars broken in to 4-5 times. Dont hear back from police on any of them. You arm yourself and try and fix the situation.

Not saying this is in any why the police's fault at all.

Lake Chuck Duck 02-11-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evidrine (Post 547884)
Did they release the names of the kids that were shot yet?

Busted in acadiana had the kid's pic up the other day and was saying where the were having a candle light vigil at.

Lake Chuck Duck 02-11-2013 02:55 PM

Austin Rivault is the kids name that passed.

Lake Chuck Duck 02-11-2013 02:56 PM

The 2 injured are William Bellamy and Cole Kelly.

whunter29 02-11-2013 03:11 PM

The kid be charged with 1 st degree murder in this case is exactly why we have so many criminals in today's world. They pay no consequences but yet the victim who fights back gets charged. Just another shinning example of what America has become!

OhSoEasy 02-11-2013 03:37 PM

I don't think violence is right, but I think everyone should be allowed to defend themselves and their possessions. If it really was his third or fourth time getting his vehicle broken into, I would have done the same thing. And I think his sister is just going to make things worse.

swampman46 02-11-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhSoEasy (Post 547898)
I don't think violence is right, but I think everyone should be allowed to defend themselves and their possessions. If it really was his third or fourth time getting his vehicle broken into, I would have done the same thing. And I think his sister is just going to make things worse.

I agree in defending ourselves, however when the shooter chose to pursue, he was then on offense, not defense.

Dink 02-11-2013 04:53 PM

Lol!! Edit.....sorry

Reefman 02-11-2013 05:18 PM

Lets see.....One minor shot dead, two other minors wounded and the likelihood that the shooter will spend most of his life in jail.
and some of you think that this was justified? Justified over what? Beer, maybe a cell phone...or whatever.

Get a license# and turn them perps over to the police. So many young lives that have been destroyed here...shooting them as they were running away was not the right answer.

weedeater 02-11-2013 05:30 PM

I will agree with Reefman to a point but it is sad that this happened but its also sad that even if he caught them red handed and held them till police got there they would have just been released to their parents who evidently ain't doin a good job in the first place. I know this probably will turn out unjustified and the shooter will end up doin time and no the punishment for theft shouldn't be death but if they prove these kids were breaking into his truck then they should be beat on public TV and it be shown in every school of America that this is the punishment.
I had a 4wheeler stolen and my buddies horse stolen by some "miss guided" kids that cost us both money and time lost just to have them turned back over to their parents.... where's the justices in that, they should everyone of them be tried along with their parents and then anyone found guilty at the least beat and put on TV. When we began dealing REAL justice to kids and adults for crimes I bet people will think twice.

southern151 02-11-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefman (Post 547923)
Get a license# and turn them perps over to the police. So many young lives that have been destroyed here...shooting them as they were running away was not the right answer.

I would venture to guess the young man that squeezed the trigger is thinking the same right now. Too bad because, really, I can see his frustration but, in that, you have to learn self control. To me, that's the most important aspect of responsible gun ownership.

fishinpox 02-11-2013 05:42 PM

I used to have the attitude of " if you take my things or try to take my things , it's your azz". Well now a days I have a lot to lose if I go shoot someone trying to take my stuff. The only time I'd shoot is if someone was inside my home and I felt mine or my families life was threatened. The last thing I want is some thug democrats family trying to sue me because they wanted to steal from me to buy crack.... I will let the police handle it