SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   This scared me a good bit (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56681)

BuckingFastard 10-14-2014 07:03 AM

cant be scared!! pack a pistol next time! they usually dont want anything to do with you. mid winter it might be more aggressive though since there will be less food for it.

C-Bass2mouth 10-14-2014 07:09 AM

Bear mace to the dome. Heard a story recently of that saving someone in Wyoming I believe. From a grizzly

BuckingFastard 10-14-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth (Post 724611)
Bear mace to the dome. Heard a story recently of that saving someone in Wyoming I believe. From a grizzly

very true, its the most effective way by far. they run like little babies and id imagine they would never wanna get close to whatever made them burn:pissed:

swampman46 10-14-2014 08:19 AM

I'm not a deer hunter, and I know black bears are illegal to kill, but at what point does a person defend his own life? As someone pointed out, bear spray is the best option i would think. But what if you don't have that? What if you aren't in a tree? :(

BassAssasin 10-14-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 724458)
u like that ASAT leafy suit??

yea, its kept me pretty concealed. help break up that human outline a bit. and it lasts ive had this one 3 years. great for hot weather too

MarshRat89 10-14-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampman46 (Post 724617)
I'm not a deer hunter, and I know black bears are illegal to kill, but at what point does a person defend his own life? As someone pointed out, bear spray is the best option i would think. But what if you don't have that? What if you aren't in a tree? :(

Had a game warden tell a buddy the other day you probably better off shooting your wife in self defense. And you better be ready for an extensive investigation and lie detector test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk mmm

swampman46 10-14-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarshRat89 (Post 724646)
Had a game warden tell a buddy the other day you probably better off shooting your wife in self defense. And you better be ready for an extensive investigation and lie detector test.

Amazing world we live in today. You can be more justified killing a human attacker than an animal one. :shaking: If I know the law correctly, a person can refuse a lie detector test during a murder investigation...can the same be said for killing a freakin bear?

MarshRat89 10-14-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampman46 (Post 724698)
Amazing world we live in today. You can be more justified killing a human attacker than an animal one. :shaking: If I know the law correctly, a person can refuse a lie detector test during a murder investigation...can the same be said for killing a freakin bear?

Sure that is covered under 5th amendment. If you really were defending yourself you might want to take it though.

fishinpox 10-14-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassAssasin (Post 724618)
yea, its kept me pretty concealed. help break up that human outline a bit. and it lasts ive had this one 3 years. great for hot weather too

I've got some ASAT stuff and I like it too. I've got a bunch of Sitka and Kuiu also

Mr T 10-15-2014 08:24 AM

I think they are used to people giving them handouts , rather than planning on attacking. They are not hunted (yet) so don't have much fear of humans. Curious more than hungry.

BuckingFastard 10-15-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassAssasin (Post 724618)

love mine and ive had it for 3 years. great for hot weather and keeps the bugs off quite a bit.

MarshRat89 10-15-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr T (Post 724817)
I think they are used to people giving them handouts , rather than planning on attacking. They are not hunted (yet) so don't have much fear of humans. Curious more than hungry.

Doubt we'll see a season on them in our lifetime.

SHORT SHANK 10-15-2014 01:30 PM

you were probably hunting at the old twin silos if you were hunting with someone from process pipe. I know some of those guys and hunted there a few times myself, Great place!

BassYakR 10-15-2014 01:39 PM

id say if your ever put in the position that you have to kill one in selfdefense... DONT TELL ANYONE! if you try to be nice and report it... youre done!

MattMigues 10-15-2014 02:40 PM

I hunt a little piece of woods down in St. Mary Parish, I have saw a big sow black bear 2 out of 3 hunts. I don't think they'll attack but they intimidate

MarshRat89 10-15-2014 03:26 PM

You hunting with Trent? I heard a lot about that lease.

mr crab 10-16-2014 06:46 AM

That's an awesome video

MathGeek 10-16-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassYakR (Post 724863)
id say if your ever put in the position that you have to kill one in selfdefense... DONT TELL ANYONE! if you try to be nice and report it... youre done!

I don't know how this might play out in LA, but prosecutors in other states have been overly zealous in prosecuting trumped up wildlife violations, including cases of self-defense. It's hard to understand why someone would put themselves in this sort of jeopardy by offering up the info needed for these abusive prosecutions.

If one must use force in self-defense against wildlife, it seems to me that the best plan of action would be to quickly leave the area for one's safety because the dangerous animal may not be neutralized and/or may not be alone. Having been diligent to escape and evade after employing deadly force, one probably would only know that the attack was deterred, and may not know if the muzzle blast or hitting the target deterred the attack.

Having an attorney explain these facts to any investigating parties would then be the advisable course of action in the unlikely event that the investigation reaches you. A good attorney will also be essential in declining unscientific investigatory methods (like polygraphs). Investigators are much less likely to threaten you (through an attorney) with prosecution if you exercise your legal rights (through an attorney) to decline a polygraph or intrusive searches.

Duck Butter 10-16-2014 08:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Cool video. We will see a season in the next few years if people will stop shooting them. I think some of the dead ones that pop up are from people that get a little scared and shoot them thinking they are going to get them. Many people would have flung an arrow in this situation. Better have some scratch marks though ifyou let it fly
I was down around Weeks Island last week and saw three, first I have seen this year. Used to work in Tensas and saw them quite often, one was even in the bed of my truck eating one of my boots when I came around the corner:grinpimp:

specktator 10-16-2014 08:58 AM

Mike,
Try and find out around where you were if you can, please. I'd like to know where this was just to see how close they are to me.