SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bad year for fall fishing? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57225)

reelguy1 11-18-2014 12:29 PM

The shrimpers at Vermilion Bay Seafood told me that these very early and intense cold fronts have pushed the trout and shrimp out to deeper water so there's not much to catch in V Bay.

wishin i was fishin 11-18-2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reelguy1 (Post 729379)
The shrimpers at Vermilion Bay Seafood told me that these very early and intense cold fronts have pushed the trout and shrimp out to deeper water so there's not much to catch in V Bay.

I was thinking about that topic wondering if these fronts were triggering the shrimp migration. Usually when it gets cold the shrimp head out of the bay to the gulf. The trout make the change from feeding on shrimp to fish.

Montauk17 11-18-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wishin i was fishin (Post 729327)
V-Bay...

Pretty much.....been sticking to whats working this year. Fishing sucks for me been laying down the whitetail.

"W" 11-18-2014 07:27 PM

All I see is Lake P guides taking people money and catching black drum ?

No trout over there ?

bowhunter0421 11-18-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 729399)

No trout over there ?

Rattle traps are on fiya!

bayouchub 11-18-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 729399)

No trout over there ?

Im no "guide" but theres plenty of nice trout on in lk p.

LPfishnTIM 11-18-2014 09:31 PM

well there isnt that many guides on lake P. and there are plenty people who live close to lake p who are guides other places south of the lake. I have only seen a few reports on lake P. and the reports have been from the causeway and they were from 2 weeks ago.

Visco 11-19-2014 08:03 AM

I have been away for the last weeks, smoked them last Tuesday around the causeway. From what my friends are telling me that are still fishing lake p, is that there are still some big girls being caught at the causeway and trussels.

I will back on the water come 6Dec, and hope to still be able to find those girls hanging around.

MattMigues 11-19-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wishin i was fishin (Post 729385)
I was thinking about that topic wondering if these fronts were triggering the shrimp migration. Usually when it gets cold the shrimp head out of the bay to the gulf. The trout make the change from feeding on shrimp to fish.

Tsumani swim baits just sayin...

revspiggles 11-19-2014 03:05 PM

so that above meme with the calm days I couldnt fish and the windy days I could...yep that was me this year

wishin i was fishin 11-19-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattMigues (Post 729434)
Tsumani swim baits just sayin...

Yep, I know Matt! I have 3 packs of the "magic color". Learned that lesson from a fellow SC member on the water last year while fishing the cove.

I have only found them 1 place around here and ran into a gentleman in Academy last weekend looking for them. He said the other place was sold out.

For the 1800 stalkers and non posters...Tsunami swim baits...certain color...not sold at Academy...dont potlick...introduce yourself to others on the water...

Etrahan 11-19-2014 07:28 PM

What about a corky in v bay last year that was the thing in the cove

wishin i was fishin 11-19-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etrahan (Post 729445)
What about a corky in v bay last year that was the thing in the cove

Got that color you suggested too, had to go to Bass Pro to get my hands on it.

Marque 11-19-2014 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just got back from a 13 hour day on VBay. Was on Caldwell for daybreak. Fished Tette Butte, the rocks at the Tigue, Diamond, Dry, the mouth of the worm, the hammock. The cove, the trash pile, the Chene, and finished up in the little bay. Went through a binder of waypoints. This is all I caught.

Marque 11-19-2014 10:33 PM

I will add that the water temp never got higher than 48. I think tomorrow there gonna wake up with the temps rising and the low pressure setting in.

MattMigues 11-20-2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wishin i was fishin (Post 729441)
Yep, I know Matt! I have 3 packs of the "magic color". Learned that lesson from a fellow SC member on the water last year while fishing the cove.

I have only found them 1 place around here and ran into a gentleman in Academy last weekend looking for them. He said the other place was sold out.

For the 1800 stalkers and non posters...Tsunami swim baits...certain color...not sold at Academy...dont potlick...introduce yourself to others on the water...

I probably bought all the packs lol. But I can't lie they treated me really good late fall into winter if the river stays low the trout will stay long after the freezers are full.

tboy 11-20-2014 08:28 AM

How much you want for the anchor?

wishin i was fishin 11-20-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tboy (Post 729487)
How much you want for the anchor?

that's not an anchor, that's a fishing weight.

revspiggles 11-20-2014 02:26 PM

So here's a question as with the higher temps: mid 60's in the like. Do the trout stay in the bay? Or have they left for good till next summer? I want to go back out...just wondering if I should focus on reds when the water temps hit 55 again on those indian summer days or not? and if so..we talking dry reef? cove? weeks? chene? ie. how far north? Pm if you dont want this a public conversation. I have been exploring more and more other than the regular community spots...but figuring this bay out seasonly is a challenge. Some of you old timers let me know. Shoot, I'll leave the boat at home and come ride with and pay 1/2 gas and bait. Just tired of striking out on this body of water....vent over.

wishin i was fishin 11-20-2014 04:26 PM

Rev, the fish usually stay in the bay until Christmas or a bit longer. that's when i stop fishing and start hunting though.

What makes the bay tough is that its so big and the trout move around constantly. Me and many others have stories where you limit out one morning, go back for round 2 the next and scratch. Now that gets aggravating.

what I have been doing over the past year is really using the HDS on my boat. I scan the community holes and look for other areas that are similar. I have found a few out of the way spots. Never stop exploring and trying new things. you will get discourage but I find whiskey helps with that...