SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bad dove hunt (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35724)

Micah 09-03-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcnabb (Post 487074)
The wet wings thing is true. Y'all never seen doves drying their wings? After every rain then hold their wings open like cormorant

It may be true but it's not a reason to not kill birds on a paid hunt.

cmcnabb 09-03-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micah (Post 487079)
It may be true but it's not a reason to not kill birds on a paid hunt.

I was joking. I have no clue what doves do. I have only hunted them a handful of times

jchief 09-03-2012 12:11 PM

I have seen them flying in downpours and right after, soooooo

noodle creek 09-03-2012 01:27 PM

Paid 300 this weekend in west Texas, but it included 3 awesome meals a day. Been going for bout 18 years with the same guy, and it is always awesome. Reputation is everything, ask around before you go with someone you've never heard of. If worse comes to worse, you can always drink a lot of beer.

It is unbelievable that some people don't feel bad for basically stealing money like that.

BArmand 09-03-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayBolt23 (Post 487066)
Sounds like he was just trying to collect!
Snake he never offered to knock down the price?!?!?!

Not at all Dave. It was pretty obvious this was a money maker for him. All he did was make excuses and tell us how many ranches they have.

BArmand 09-03-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noodle creek (Post 487104)
Paid 300 this weekend in west Texas, but it included 3 awesome meals a day. Been going for bout 18 years with the same guy, and it is always awesome. Reputation is everything, ask around before you go with someone you've never heard of. If worse comes to worse, you can always drink a lot of beer.

It is unbelievable that some people don't feel bad for basically stealing money like that.

I looked him up and he had good reviews. The area we hunted was a prime dove
location judging by all the gunshots around us. The lack of effort is what I didn't understand.

Skittawalk 09-03-2012 05:43 PM

The ldwl has 4 fields this year all planted for dove at $10 per gun although I do not know how they produced , hope this can be a help and save you guys a few $ ...

Micah 09-03-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittawalk (Post 487178)
The ldwl has 4 fields this year all planted for dove at $10 per gun although I do not know how they produced , hope this can be a help and save you guys a few $ ...

They only do it for opening day

BArmand 09-03-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittawalk (Post 487178)
The ldwl has 4 fields this year all planted for dove at $10 per gun although I do not know how they produced , hope this can be a help and save you guys a few $ ...

I have a hunting lease, but it is in the south zone so this was just a head start. The money was not the issue, it was the lack of preparation that stunned me. He made around $4,000 and didn't do a thing.

Micah 09-03-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BArmand (Post 487254)
I have a hunting lease, but it is in the south zone so this was just a head start. The money was not the issue, it was the lack of preparation that stunned me. He made around $4,000 and didn't do a thing.

What you mean "head start"? It opened same day here.

BArmand 09-03-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micah (Post 487270)
What you mean "head start"? It opened same day here.

I normally wait until it opens at my lease which is in the south zone. This was an early start for me.

Micah 09-03-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BArmand (Post 487277)
I normally wait until it opens at my lease which is in the south zone. This was an early start for me.

When does your lease open?

BArmand 09-04-2012 09:20 PM

September 21, its the south Texas zone. Teal in the morning and doves in the afternoon.

Micah 09-04-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BArmand (Post 487800)
September 21, its the south Texas zone. Teal in the morning and doves in the afternoon.

Hell yeah!!!!

mr crab 09-05-2012 06:56 AM

We hunted Monday evening in the China Texas area. It sounds like the same setup as you had, except this was an invite from a buddy. A field full of goat weed. We showed up around 3pm, and birds were everywhere. They were lighting in the field to eat. Very fun hunt. We shot about half our birds on the wing, and walked up the other half after we saw them land. They would flush like quail. A lot of walking, but the 3 of us limited and it was a fun hunt. I wonder if the doves would hold tight if a dog pointed them like quail? Anyway, the goatweed definitely was what was drawing the birds in.

BArmand 09-05-2012 08:24 PM

I work in Beaumont and have been seeing a ton of birds down hwy 90. Glad y'all had a good hunt. I can't wait to smash some teal in a few weeks

slickfish 09-05-2012 08:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We hunt in ballinger and had a pretty good hunt. Attachment 39926Attachment 39927

Armand16 09-05-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BArmand (Post 488270)
I work in Beaumont and have been seeing a ton of birds down hwy 90. Glad y'all had a good hunt. I can't wait to some teal in a few weeks

We saw those birds on the way back. We rode down that gravel road and watched them pile in that field. That's what a dove field should look like. It took everything to convince Riki not to shoot them.

BArmand 09-07-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armand16 (Post 488304)
We saw those birds on the way back. We rode down that gravel road and watched them pile in that field. That's what a dove field should look like. It took everything to convince Riki not to shoot them.

I was out there yesterday an they were still hunting them morning and afternoon. Probably had 20 or so birds in the air when I passed by. The farmer said it cost him $2,000 to get the field right. Not alot of money if you can make $4,000/day.

DUCKGOGETTER 09-07-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchief (Post 487090)
i have seen them flying in downpours and right after, soooooo


never heard of the drying the wings thing before, but like you said jude i've killed many of doves in the rain.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted