SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vermilion Bay (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51314)

Davewiseman 02-19-2014 01:12 PM

Quack, will you guide me to the web site whereby I can look for water clarity?

MattMigues 02-19-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshjugger (Post 666392)
I tell ya what about 3 years ago we were fishing trout in weeks bay right out of shark bayou. Using live shrimp. We could catch 5 trout then a blue cat then 5 trout then a blue cat. I have never seen that. I jug to the west of you an do very good during the winter months. Maybe try weeks bay! Let me know if you do.

Tight lines

Last year thanksgiving day I caught 24 trout and a 15lb blue cat all on glow gulp in weeks bay!

Goooh 02-19-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davewiseman (Post 666588)
Quack, will you guide me to the web site whereby I can look for water clarity?


Google modis louisiana

Quackhead62 02-19-2014 03:34 PM

Dave I usually just watch the river level and the winds. But when I'm targeting reds I'm usually not to concerend with the water clarity. As long as it's not really really muddy I'll fish it. I just watch the tides and the wind close.

T-Bone 02-19-2014 04:35 PM

http://www.esl.lsu.edu/imagery/MODIS/image/267737/

Montauk17 02-19-2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quackhead62 (Post 666605)
Dave I usually just watch the river level and the winds. But when I'm targeting reds I'm usually not to concerend with the water clarity. As long as it's not really really muddy I'll fish it. I just watch the tides and the wind close.

I used to read dave's reports on rodnreel.....seems like he only fishes arti's for redfish. Here is the link....http://www.esl.lsu.edu/imagery/MODIS/latest/ Hard to tell with the cloud cover but it looks like the west side of the bay is green.

Quackhead62 02-19-2014 07:32 PM

Yea I have read them before too. I've tried artificial but just seem to catch smaller reds compared to market bait or live

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Montauk17 02-19-2014 07:34 PM

Try a manns mid minus 1....I think the rattles piss them off or possibly sound like a crab. I like the bone with orange throat or the black/chartruse.

Quackhead62 02-19-2014 07:44 PM

I fish a lot of the shallow marsh ponds plan on trying some top water this year. I have had good sucess on bayou chubs and gulp just seem to catch larger fish on market and live bait.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Montauk17 02-19-2014 07:46 PM

I hear ya....for some reason the bigger reds nail that crankbait....it only dives 1 foot deep. If you reel it slow it will wake just under the surface like a mullet. Make sure you use a light action rod if you use braid or a medium action with mono or you will loose alot of fish.

Quackhead62 02-19-2014 07:50 PM

10-4 I have a duce rod right now and I have a Calcasieu Extreme Rod in the making.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Quackhead62 02-19-2014 07:51 PM

What u think about she dogs for reds I don't see why they wouldn't work in the shallows

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Montauk17 02-19-2014 09:17 PM

I don't have any comments about a duce rod,never owned one. Cal extreme are nice still have not found mine that some POS stole. Any bait with treble hooks I find a soft tip rod works best. When you catch bigger fish and they pull drag you can rip the hooks easier. Braid makes it even worse cause of no stretch. IMO medium-moderate works good for mono and medium light or light-moderate for braid. She dog is my favorite top water. They are loud and easy to walk. I have caught plenty of reds on them but sometimes they just won't commit to them and rather a bait just under the surface.

Quackhead62 02-19-2014 09:28 PM

Yea all of that makes perfect sense. It might be a combo of the areas I fish and maybe the wrong type of artificial baits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

T and F fishing 02-20-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montauk17 (Post 666511)
The bayous off shark bayou are also good for catfish. My grandpaw and I used to run lines out of intracoastal city by little bay and 4 mile. We would load the boat this time of the year with cut mullet. We always did best baiting late in the afternoon and let it soak overnight and check the next morning.

Where do you catch the mullet this time of year to have fresh bait ?

Anth0ny 02-20-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T and F fishing (Post 666814)
Where do you catch the mullet this time of year to have fresh bait ?

If you live close to the port of iberia I heard a few reports saying there stacked in any open bulkhead you go to.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk now Free

Montauk17 02-20-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T and F fishing (Post 666814)
Where do you catch the mullet this time of year to have fresh bait ?

Back then my grandpaw made some kind of net that he would hold on the side of the boat and idle along small canals off the intracoastal.

cajunfisher 02-20-2014 09:33 PM

Where can I go to get the most accurate tide report?

Quackhead62 02-20-2014 09:34 PM

I use Acadiana fishing or Rod n Reel.com they always seem to be right on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted