SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Crawfish boil prepration "purging" (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52310)

kenmore_mo1 04-02-2014 07:33 AM

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/news_arch...g-crawfish.htm

papap 04-02-2014 09:48 AM

Swamp. I think I'll keep using your plan B. loL

mudman03 04-02-2014 04:05 PM

nah Swamp you got it all wrong. You do not remove the poop vein if done correctly. This set up takes me literally 5 minutes to do. Take pool out of shed and place on ground near my pond (2 minutes) and dump crawfish, Put a few bricks in 1 foot of water in my pond to prevent sucking up grass/mud 1 minute, place bilge pump on top bricks with 6 foot hose going to pool (1 minute), hook old charged battery to bilge/live well pump and turn on (1 minute) and done. Battery last a good 24 hours if not I put another. Bilge/livewell pump shuts on and off every 10 minutes. Walk away for 2 hours and let it to do its thing while you live life doing what you do. Yea this may be hard for some but it is a fairly simple setup for me and the next day everyone including the females ask how come there is no poop in veins. I simply tell them I purged the crawfish. Seriously if it seems to difficult I would not try as you may hurt yourself.

AubreyLaHaye458 04-02-2014 05:51 PM

If you leave 2-3 sacks of crawfish in a pool with holes drilled in the top how do you not lose half your crawfish?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudman03 04-02-2014 05:58 PM

the hard plastic ones they cannot climb. drill a few 1/2 inch holes a few inches from top around the edge. if they can get out the 1/2 hole they to small to eat anyway right? and if the pool is to small for 3 sx just put a cover on top pool. Maybe a piece of plywood or turn a round table upside down and lay on top. Never had the issue of any getting out pool though.

cgoods17 04-02-2014 05:59 PM

who the hell would go through all that to boil crawfish? that is what i am trying to figure out.

mudman03 04-02-2014 06:09 PM

http://www.thetoolworkshop.com/genfo...db-gv242d.aspx

that's the pool... go through what? dump crawfish let water run for a day and boil. Damn its not an act of Congress to do. If you enjoy eating good clean crawfish I was just trying to help some people out. If you see this as work and to hard to do then you probably applied for Obamacare a few days ago on the last day. I like eating a clean crawfish and some people must like the crap in the vein, I don't. With the recent study showing that salt does not clean out a crawfish I figured I would attempt to help some people that like clean crawfish out and give a tip. No worries it will not happen again as it seems there is people here trying to figure out any way possible for something not to work that truly works.

mriguy 04-02-2014 06:29 PM

Thanks for the tip

swamp snorkler 04-02-2014 08:53 PM

I ain't saying it won't work.
Not everyone has an extra bilge pump, battery and pong laying around.

sugardad 04-02-2014 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgoods17 (Post 677282)
who the hell would go through all that to boil crawfish? that is what i am trying to figure out.

I get drunk just trying to boil a few sacks without cleaning them! Lol!

papap 04-02-2014 09:21 PM

Just pour them in a tub, change water out a few times, then cook them.. Of course while drinking beer the whole time. By the time they are cooked who cares. LOL

swampman46 04-02-2014 09:37 PM

A lot of people ragging on you, but it's probably a good concept...just on a smaller scale. Maybe like a #3 washtub with a drain plug changing the water out a few times a day like someone said. This idea may have merit yet! ;) I may get a patent and make millions!

SULPHITE 04-02-2014 09:43 PM

People may take ur concept and run with it...others...well it's not their bag
You've got a right to prepare your table fare in whatever way you see fit.

clay67 04-03-2014 02:49 AM

I've seen a couple large purging tanks that were set up with a large air pump. It worked very well to clean out the vein in 24 hrs. The advantages were no grit in the veins and the crawfish survived twice as long in a cooler.

swamp snorkler 04-03-2014 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampman46 (Post 677390)
A lot of people ragging on you, but it's probably a good concept...just on a smaller scale. Maybe like a #3 washtub with a drain plug changing the water out a few times a day like someone said. This idea may have merit yet! ;) I may get a patent and make millions!


This is what I do now, dump them in a number 3 tub as soon as I get home and put some water on them. Change it till it runs clear.

swampman46 04-03-2014 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 677430)
This is what I do now, dump them in a number 3 tub as soon as I get home and put some water on them. Change it till it runs clear.

Is that method purging them? And how many times do you change water?

swamp snorkler 04-03-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampman46 (Post 677457)
Is that method purging them? And how many times do you change water?


I'm more concerned with washing the mud and feed off of them than I am purging them. I change the water 2 or 3 times and it normally gets clear.

Samarai 04-03-2014 08:57 AM

thats just too much trouble. my bil has a big crawfish/seafood operation out of mobile any he doesnt go through that much trouble. He has a large tube that soaks it a little then goes through a conveyour that rinses them off and sorts out the dead ones.

Raymond 04-03-2014 10:05 AM

Pour them into a champagne and soak in a larger tub, you can agitate (W them) to get mud off. Large purge tanks are designed to hold enough graded crawfish so to be commercially marketable;Hawks or Texas processors cause they don't catch enough at one time to have enough to sell.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted