SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   I'm thinking an I-pilot is in my future (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54677)

I make oil 07-08-2014 01:16 AM

The remote is easy to get used to. Make sure you have extra batteries for it or you will have a bad trip.

Clampy 07-08-2014 08:27 AM

I would think it would be worse with the ram. It just bounces right now freely with the ram you will get the jolt from the deck. I dunno just thinking. I've been in rough stuff with mine and it didn't move around too bad.

cajun bill 07-08-2014 05:00 PM

hope you're right cuz.........
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clampy (Post 704995)
I would think it would be worse with the ram. It just bounces right now freely with the ram you will get the jolt from the deck. I dunno just thinking. I've been in rough stuff with mine and it didn't move around too bad.

I'm planning on ordering it without the ram mount. We'll see how it does. Best source I've found is Amazon and Rothwell Marine in Ark. for $1,475 with free shipping and no taxes. Anyone have a better source? Also gonna get the quick mount, looks like that's about $80. Looks like I'm gonna have a 24V, 74 lb. Riptide 3X for sale once this one comes in if anyone is interested. Just listed it on La. Sportsman for $200 obo with the quick mount disconnect. About 6 yrs. old and works fine.

I make oil 07-08-2014 05:25 PM

I ordered my motorguide from Cabelas and Amazon. Both where on back order. Ended up getting it from Bass Pro for an excellent price. Cheaper than the other two plus received a rebate for $100

cajun bill 07-10-2014 09:14 PM

Well, finally bit the bullet today and ordered the Ipilot from Rothwell Marine. Best price I could find, he even beat Amazon and no taxes or shipping. Also ordered the quick disconnect mount. Sold the old TM this evening so awaiting my newest gadget. Thanks to all for your advice.

juicegoose 07-11-2014 07:50 AM

You'll love it. I promise you that you will find that you really only remember to use the following modes
1. Anchor lock
2. Rabbit mode(kick it quickly up to 10)
3. Advanced autopilot mode


Don't forget though that it can save routes and spots. I've tested the route feature and it is bad arse I just always forget to use it.

kb7722 07-11-2014 09:38 AM

How did you order with Rothwell? Online or phone?

alphaman 07-11-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clampy (Post 704995)
I would think it would be worse with the ram. It just bounces right now freely with the ram you will get the jolt from the deck. I dunno just thinking. I've been in rough stuff with mine and it didn't move around too bad.

I felt the same way no ram for me either. Now you can put a bungee cord around the shaft and hook it to your cleat. I also though about going that route too.

cajun bill 07-11-2014 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb7722 (Post 705915)
How did you order with Rothwell? Online or phone?

email mostly until time to pay. the pilot is not on their website.

cajun bill 07-23-2014 09:00 PM

WOW!
 
Tried it out yesterday. Wow! I'm hooked even tho the bolt holding the head onto the shaft was missing. Found this out when I tried to lower it out into the water and the head came off in my hands. Recovered nicely by just grabbing the shaft after that. Still WOW! I'm gonna love this thing! Called MK Tech Support and they are overnighting the missing bolt to me. Not a biggie as far as I am concerned. Love the Spot Lock and the track back feature.

BTW, decided to get the Ram Mount anyway. With the rubber balls on the ram mount and the fact that I mounted the Ram at an angle, I think there is plenty play to help absorb any blows from wave pounding. And, if I forget to tighten down the collar, the Ram Mount will keep the MK from deploying and ruining my day. Thanks to all for their advice.

Tonka337 09-08-2014 01:51 PM

For those who believe the ram mount isn't necessary. I had my I pilot for over two years without it and never had a problem. Then about 4 weeks ago I hit some bad weather just outside of southwest pass and the trolling motor somehow deployed on its own and never stopped until it disappeared completely. It all happened in about three seconds my my $2,000 I pilot was gone! I contemplated jumping in after it but I was alone in 3-4ft seas, I'm no fool! Haha. Needless to say, I purchased a new Ipilot and also a ram mount!

Also, when trailering or cruising make sure to keep the black clamp adjusted all the way down and you might not share the fate I did.

Crawl79 09-08-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonka337 (Post 718921)
For those who believe the ram mount isn't necessary. I had my I pilot for over two years without it and never had a problem. Then about 4 weeks ago I hit some bad weather just outside of southwest pass and the trolling motor somehow deployed on its own and never stopped until it disappeared completely. It all happened in about three seconds my my $2,000 I pilot was gone! I contemplated jumping in after it but I was alone in 3-4ft seas, I'm no fool! Haha. Needless to say, I purchased a new Ipilot and also a ram mount!

Also, when trailering or cruising make sure to keep the black clamp adjusted all the way down and you might not share the fate I did.

Wow, sorry to hear that. I have the ram mount installed but don't use it throughout the day when fishing in calm weather. I WILL NOW!

alphaman 09-08-2014 02:13 PM

yep same thing happen to me. my new boat wasn't even a month old yet! If that clamp is all the way down IT WILL DEPLOY! I crossed a invisible wake from a boat in slick calm waters going 40-45 mph. In my case, Minnkota paid for my new ipilot.

Tonka337 09-08-2014 02:21 PM

Guys, anyone looking to purchase any kind of trolling motor should call Keith or Nelson at Superior trolling motors in Lafayette. Get a quote from them before buying one from anywhere online. And the best thing about them is their outstanding customer service. I have been dealing with them for a few years now and when I purchased my new Ipilot they beat everyone hands down, even cheaper than eBay, Amazon etc...

Montauk17 09-08-2014 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonka337 (Post 718933)
Guys, anyone looking to purchase any kind of trolling motor should call Keith or Nelson at Superior trolling motors in Lafayette. Get a quote from them before buying one from anywhere online. And the best thing about them is their outstanding customer service. I have been dealing with them for a few years now and when I purchased my new Ipilot they beat everyone hands down, even cheaper than eBay, Amazon etc...

X2 they are good people to deal with. There is damn near zero money to be made in a new trolling motor. I don't see how they do it. Guess they make it with repairs.

juicegoose 09-12-2014 12:46 PM

As of late I've been having wicked trouble with the remote just turning off. It'll flash then just turn off and literally have to crazily hit buttons to make it come back on.

meaux fishing 09-12-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juicegoose (Post 719847)
As of late I've been having wicked trouble with the remote just turning off. It'll flash then just turn off and literally have to crazily hit buttons to make it come back on.

call minn kota

herohunts 09-13-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juicegoose (Post 719847)
As of late I've been having wicked trouble with the remote just turning off. It'll flash then just turn off and literally have to crazily hit buttons to make it come back on.

Seen the same issue the battery is not making contact when that happens

alphaman 09-13-2014 12:47 PM

If you don't have the right battery it will do that. I cant remember the exact numbers but the correct ones are thicker and there is a letter at the beginning and at the end.

juicegoose 09-14-2014 09:44 PM

Im still on the original battery.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted