SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Towing speed (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65124)

rk3 08-08-2016 10:56 AM

I've been towed in a few times and had to tow a few boats myself. The faster speeds my be faster, but also a faster way to get into trouble. Since I am not that experienced as a tow boat driver, lol, I tow like I bbq, slow and low. Between about 10-15 mph. It sure sucks, but never had issues stop the process.

CorkieB 08-08-2016 10:23 PM

I try to keep a tow rig in my boat for myself getting towed or towing another boat.
1. good 5/8 or larger rope to make Y harness to fasten to the tie down points on transom of boat doing the towing.
2. about 100 ft of 5/8 or larger rope to use as tow rope.

on smaller boats I have towed (duck boats and such) I can usually get them on plane and it makes for a much better experience for all parties involved. Its a long ride from the wax campground to the boat launch. Never towed or been towed in a bay boat very far so I just take it easy. But I think it can be done safely if the boats are similar size, weight ,and conditions allow.

alphaman 08-09-2016 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorkieB (Post 803408)
I try to keep a tow rig in my boat for myself getting towed or towing another boat.
1. good 5/8 or larger rope to make Y harness to fasten to the tie down points on transom of boat doing the towing.
2. about 100 ft of 5/8 or larger rope to use as tow rope.

on smaller boats I have towed (duck boats and such) I can usually get them on plane and it makes for a much better experience for all parties involved. Its a long ride from the wax campground to the boat launch. Never towed or been towed in a bay boat very far so I just take it easy. But I think it can be done safely if the boats are similar size, weight ,and conditions allow.

I need a big rope to keep on the boat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

swamp snorkler 08-09-2016 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaman (Post 803416)
I need a big rope to keep on the boat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk




Not really 1/4" Spectec 12 is stronger than 1/4" handrail cable. I have a few buddies who trawl for a living. They take the cable off the winches and use Spectec. I've seen 3/4" used on tug boats to move barges.
http://www.novabraid.com/rope/spectec.html


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted