Jindal:
1. Does anyone think Jindal's handling of Gustav was not markedly better than Blanco's handling of Katrina? 2. Jindal is the most pro-RKBA governor in the US. In addition to supporting the Constitutional amendment in 2012, he has signed numerous laws benefitting gun owners. 3. Lower taxes. 4. Opposition to Common Core. 5. Under Jindal, the Louisiana Department of Education allows home schools to operate as registered non-public schools, thus completely exempting them from Common Core requirements and giving home schooling parents greater freedom to choose their children's curricula, instructional methods, and assessment methods than in any other state in the US. 6. We all have quibbles about wildlife issues, but I see the extension of the state boundary out to 10.357 miles and the Louisiana state snapper season as a very positive effort to improve use of an abundant natural resource and well-considered resistance to an over reach of federal authority in poorly managing the fishery. 7. Small things, but I also appreciate the fact that boat trailers no longer need to be inspected and driver's licenses will last for five years. Fewer trips to the DMV is a sign of less intrusion and smaller government! |
He won't have my vote. I liked him at first, but too much has gone downhill for me to vote for him now. He doesn't stand a chance anyway.
|
Quote:
Everyone but Jeb is something of a long shot to get the nomination, and I think it's premature to talk about "electability" until there is more of a campaign track record and a couple of debates. If the primary were today, I'd likely vote for Perry or Walker over Jindal, but they (along with Carson and Huckabee) all have 5+ months to convince me. Given my strong belief in the separation of powers and federalism, I don't take actions as a conservative governor as a strong indication of how one would govern as POTUS. A good conservative president should have strong convictions about the different roles of state and federal government, so I would not look for conservative candidates to necessarily take the same approach to federal issues as POTUS as they took to state issues as governors. |
Quote:
|
Quote:
|
Quote:
|
Quote:
But I hope he doesn't even make it that far. The guy raided every Dedicated Fund he could, and allowed the state budget to slip into this piss-poor state that it is now. Is he solely responsible? No. But he didn't do much to help it either. And his bouncing around to other states instead of taking care of business here has won him no votes in Louisiana either. And honestly, I'm not quite sure how you can take anything else from what he's done. I have no idea how he would be as president, so I'm going to look at what he has done at Governor. He couldn't manage a state for 8 years, a state that, for the most part, supported him in his first term. How is he going to run a country that will be much more divided on what he does? I look at the things he's done in the past several months, and see a man driven by public opinion. There may have been several people that turned on Common Core, but Jindal was a very vocal supporter of Common Core. Isn't his wife a teacher? Shouldn't he have known better? He went with what seemed like the majority from the start. Then more and more people turned on it, and he saw it as an opportunity to garner support by turning on it and fighting it. At that point he was screwed because BESE was not going to allow him to get rid of it. Then the religious freedom issue. After everything that happened with that Bakery, he decides it would be a good move to try and pass a similar bill in Louisiana, and then when it doesn't, he uses his power to push it through (which he could not, according to the Louisiana Constitution). All he is doing is bantering to people that will support those conservative moves. For what it's worth, I'm all for the abolishment of Common Core (because its a bad system) and the Freedom of a business owner to run his business as he sees fit. But Jindal didn't push for those things for those reasons. He pushed for them because he saw it as a way to gain favor with the voters. |
Quote:
The reality of LA politics is you need a few years of piss-poor budgets to shrink the size of government to a level that will sustain lower taxes in the long run. The idea that one needs to "reduce the size of government" to "pay for" tax cuts is inherently liberal thinking. Jindal has taken the approach of reducing taxes to more reasonable levels and then forcing the government to shrink to match the available funds. It's turned out to be unpopular with many, but it is in line with conservative principles. I'm no fan of raiding dedicated funds either, and would list these actions as my least favorite things Jindal has done. But I would raid our family's dedicated new car fund if a child was sick and we needed to cover medical bills. No candidate is perfect. I'm interested in hearing what Jindal, Walker, Huckabee, Perry, and Carson have to say in the next five months as the process plays out. |
Quote:
Did you just contradict yourself, or am I not reading this right? In the first statement, you say reducing the size of the government pays for tax cuts, and this is a liberal concept; then you follow this with "Jindal has reduced taxes and forced the government to shrink" and called it a Conservative Idea. I fail to see how either is different. So a liberal suggesting that the government should shrink to pay for tax cuts is different from a conservative suggesting that reducing tax cuts forces the government to shrink? I don't see the difference. It all results in the same thing: smaller government and lower taxes. I've never heard any liberal suggest that the government needs to be smaller. Hell, they think it needs to support everyone that can't support themselves. I work with one, I would know. I hear it all the time. Why did he have to raid the dedicated funds in the first place? What happened to that "surplus" that existed when he came into office? I'm just not a fan of Jindal anymore. He's a puppet. Show him the hot topic and he will jump on it. He doesn't think for himself (then again, most of this country doesn't). |
Quote:
I encourage my wife to read the menu left to right (without regard for cost) when I take her to dinner, because we don't get to go out much, we earn a good living, and the money we're spending is our own. But in government, every tax dollar that gets spent gets taken from a hard working citizen under threat of imprisonment. This FACT necessitates that those governing should read the menu right to left. Elected officials should first consider how much in tax dollars it is reasonable to take from their citizens at the barrel of a gun. Then they should decide how to most reasonably spend those tax dollars to provide the best government to their citizens. Reading the menu left to right is inherently different: First liberals decide how much government they need. Then they calculate how much to take from hard working citizens (at the barrel of a gun) to pay for it. This approach inevitably leads to bigger government and higher taxes. Money gets taken from hard working citizens at the barrel of a gun to pay for every government program. Jindal recognizes this and worked hard to cut taxes knowing that limited cash would provide more leverage for the hard work of actually shrinking government (or at least growing it more slowly). Yes, there was pain and disagreement. But without this approach, we'd have a much bigger, more expensive, and more intrusive LA state government than we have now. |
1 Attachment(s)
Anybody that shoots coots is alright in my book
|
Quote:
That's not to say all liberals are on welfare, but you get my point. I understand that Jindal had to reduce the government by means of reducing taxes, but why do you keep ignoring my other comments about Jindal being a "Yes Man" and bowing to public opinion at every chance he gets? Hell, even Obama doesn't do that; I can at least respect him for that, if nothing else. You've made it a point to state all the things you think Jindal has done well, but have failed to address anything that I've stated against him. How anyone can believe that his actions as of late are in anyone's interest but his own is beyond me. Look no further than his moves to veto the vote on his security spending and the cost of living raise for Louisiana government retirees. I think its bull that our state is footing the bill for his security detail when he is not even doing work for the state, and as far as I'm concerned, most trips out of the state by the Governor are not state-related, and should not be paid for by the state. I understand that the State Police is tasked with protecting the Governor, but if it isn't for State business, it should not come out of the State Police's budget. So how is that "reducing the size of the government" when you're spending more of the state's money on your own damn travel? |
Quote:
|
Quote:
|
I would not mind Louisiana having a presidential library. It wouldn't hurt as much as obama.
|
I thought my views were most aligned with Rand Paul, but after taking an extensive look into all of the candidates, sans Trump, my views were 89% aligned with Ted Cruz and only 87% with Rand Paul...I am a former republican, but current Libertarian.
|
Quote:
I try to consistently judge actions rather than motives. Quote:
Second, I've explained why I prefer not to speculate regarding motives. Third, I think the executive order regarding religious freedom is in the interests of people of faith throughout Louisiana, especially people of faith who have an objection of conscience regarding participation in homosexual weddings. It hasn't gotten much press, but since the Constitutional amendment in 2012, Jindal has taken a number of additional steps to protect RKBA, including a new law in 2015 to make it much harder for local governments to leverage zoning restrictions to limit hunting and shooting on private property. Quote:
I'm more eager to hear the candidates ideas on federal policy than I am to debate the details of their security expenses. Ultimately, I believe that a true conservative president will benefit Louisiana and our citizens in much greater proportion than the negatives that have been mentioned in Jindal's years as governor. Jindal's efforts to that end may be better spent than closer focus on Louisiana's present issues. This is the nature of a federal government bloated and out of control. The jobs of governor and president are not 40 hr a week type of deals. I am sure both Jindal and Obama have spent much more than that giving attention to governing. I won't begrudge either their travel. One need not take a vow of poverty to serve as governor or president. |
See, this is where we disagree again. He is CURRENTLY the Governor of Louisiana. The balance being off is not a minor issue. He has not been doing his duty to Louisiana. Wasn't there a report earlier this year that showed he traveled nearly half the year in 2014? What for? No way it was all for state business.
If I go off on a "business trip", but all I do is sell myself to try and benefit me, am I doing the job I was hired to do by my current employer? I'm not saying he shouldn't campaign at all, but he's been in campaign mode for nearly 2 years now. That's a disservice to Louisiana. To think that Jindal is going to turn around and be a good, conservative President when he's been mailing it in Louisiana seems to be shortsighted and misinformed. Do your job at home first, and let that speak for itself. He will get ripped apart in any debate he participates in. Too many problems here for him to have a shot. |
The last legislative session , Jindal made the opening address then he showed up on the last day to try to get the votes he wanted. only 2 times he was on the floor.
Seems to me with our budget shortfall he should have been there leading the way |
|
I would vote for any of the republican nominees before a dem but Perry would be way down on the list
|
He gone
What is Jindal's next career move? |
#Darn
|
Quote:
|
Heard wants something in the cabinet of the next president dealing with insurance ...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk |
| All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted