SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   15 Trout Limit Discussion PUBLIC (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32102)

ckinchen 06-06-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ski (Post 444010)
Ya'll might want to discourage this guy from speaking to the commision. If he pisses em off like he's done to a lot folks on here, you'll probably end up with a five fish limit like south Texas.

:rotfl::rotfl: Nice post.

Salty 06-06-2012 11:47 PM

Parts of Tejas is five?

"W" 06-07-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ski (Post 444010)
Ya'll might want to discourage this guy from speaking to the commision. If he pisses em off like he's done to a lot folks on here, you'll probably end up with a five fish limit like south Texas.

See your from Texas hoss .... Only two things come out of Texas steers and ?????

U feeling luck today

ckinchen 06-07-2012 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 444041)
See your from Texas hoss .... Only two things come out of Texas steers and ?????

U feeling luck today

Is this you being angry about Texas having bigger trout than us?

You work for a Texas company right?

"W" 06-07-2012 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 444043)

Wrong..we have a Houston office but my company is based out of London

And Texas don't have bigger nothing ..but drum fisherman

weedeater 06-07-2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 444043)

The woman are taller then him there too

MathGeek 06-07-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 444044)

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...31135951_n.jpg

And what's wrong with fishing for big drum? My sons had a lot of fun catching big drum.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...72928283_n.jpg

My daughters have also had a lot of fun catching big drum.

And when I was a child, we had a lot of fun catching big drum.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1921416_n.jpg

And just the other night, my wife prepared a great meal of big drum.

ckinchen 06-07-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 444044)

Two words one big trout fishery...... Baffin Bay

"W" 06-07-2012 06:26 AM

MathGeek...no drum in my boat....lol ....don't even think about it.....

jdm4x43732 06-07-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 444058)
MathGeek...no drum in my boat....lol ....don't even think about it WE TARGET GAFF TOP EXCLUSIVELY, WITH THE OCCASIONAL SHEEP HEAD.....

MathGeek 06-07-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 444058)
MathGeek...no drum in my boat....lol ....don't even think about it.....

Our focus will be on specks this trip, as I am hoping to learn a lot and come up the learning curve on the more practical aspects of the spotted seatrout in the Calcasieu estuary. I don't see fishing a lot of crab on the bottom, especially when a guest on a boat with other priorities.

However, if a boat wants to chase bull redfish and drum, I'll bring the crab. My wife has talked me into leaving the boat in Colorado to save on trip expenses, because she overspent a tad on plane tickets to get our children to their grandparents' home in NC, who they haven't seen much in several years.

If anyone is willing to take the MathGeek fishing, I'm available from 12 June until the week of 24 June. Of course, I'll pitch in for gas and bait and work hard to be the best guest who has ever stepped foot on your boat.

Last year, we caught all our drum in Leeville and Belle Pass. The drum in Calcasieu skunked us, but the redfish treated us well.

MathGeek 06-07-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdm4x43732 (Post 444064)
Originally Posted by "W" http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/imag...e/viewpost.gif
MathGeek...no drum in my boat....lol ....don't even think about it WE TARGET GAFF TOP EXCLUSIVELY, WITH THE OCCASIONAL SHEEP HEAD.....

Great, I love gafftops. And I hope you have a big ice chest because I catch a lot of hardheads too.:spineyes::spineyes::spineyes::spineyes:

RedXCross 06-07-2012 06:59 AM

Hey wee man, Texans really? Jeremy, I don't know you and to be honest I really don't care to. Your passion is definitely noted, but you let your complex over rule most everything you stand for.(bruh, cuz , mudda) I mean who wants to hear BS from someone as caustic.

Think about this for one minute, it really doesn't matter now, because if you go in front of the commission or whatever agency and make your stand, they are going to be privy to all this BS talk on here and scramble all your comments on facebook and etc. especially this site and they are going to see in a glance who you are.Yep, I am in the Prof. world, but I fish as much as you do or very close to it(I promise) and I am quite a bit older. I don't facebook or toot, tweet, or whatever else there is, I really don't feel compelled to let the world know when I go to the bathroom.If you are going to run a guiding business and keep it going, an attitude adjustment is DRASTICALLY needed, or even your buddies who guide will not offer granny and paw paw and their 2 grandkids. Just as the Baton Rouge folks would expect.

Note: you are a great fisherman, I am not gonna ever take that away from you(on your own waters) just as I am comfortable where I am at.Try to have a lil more tact and reasoning, I realize you catch a bunch of Sh@t , but you are caustic in nature and most people don't react well to that.I wish you luck in whatever you do, being a new Dad is great, and it should be the priority of your life moving forward.I have a feeling these speckled variety fish will still be here when you and I are long gone.

Continue, I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 444041)

U feeling luck today

Salty 06-07-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 444056)
Two words one big trout fishery...... Baffin Bay

The state record top tens should prove which has the most big trout. Tejas' state record is 3 lbs heavier than ours. That don't sound like much if you say it fast.

MathGeek 06-07-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 444123)
The state record top tens should prove which has the most big trout. Tejas' state record is 3 lbs heavier than ours. That don't sound like much if you say it fast.

State records are one in a million fish. Tournament winners are one in a few hundred. The top ten in a tournament are the top ten from a few hundred or perhaps a few thousand.

Annual tournament top tens are much more useful for studying year to year changes in the larger fish available a single estuaries where the tournament held. State records are more of a glimpse at the biggest fish in the best waters in the best year ever in a state.

BIG RED 1983 06-07-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 444133)
State records are one in a million fish. Tournament winners are one in a few hundred. The top ten in a tournament are the top ten from a few hundred or perhaps a few thousand.

Annual tournament top tens are much more useful for studying year to year changes in the larger fish available a single estuaries where the tournament held. State records are more of a glimpse at the biggest fish in the best waters in the best year ever in a state.

So what you are saying is that top ten fish in the state are useless. Except in the eye of the beholder because they have no significant effect in doing a big trout study? What if all of the top ten fish were caught in the same area would that help with a study, or would it just be coincidence?

Salty 06-07-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 444133)

The year that the Texas state record was caught is not considered their best year.

MathGeek 06-07-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG RED 1983 (Post 444136)
So what you are saying is that top ten fish in the state are useless. Except in the eye of the beholder because they have no significant effect in doing a big trout study? What if all of the top ten fish were caught in the same area would that help with a study, or would it just be coincidence?

It is hard to say. Smaller windows of time and more quantifiable levels of effort make it easier to interpret the significance of the top ten trout, especially if the top ten trout weights are also available from other years in the same month with comparable windows of time and levels of effort.

The meaning of the top ten fish ever in a state are much harder to interpret, because they are likely spread over a period of 50 years or more, and it is unlikely to have more than one or two measurements from the same year.

State records are outliers, far out on the tail of the "normal distribution." They also depend on a combination of optimal conditions to produce the fish and an angler being at the right place at the right time to catch it.

Salty 06-07-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 444146)
It is hard to say. Smaller windows of time and more quantifiable levels of effort make it easier to interpret the significance of the top ten trout, especially if the top ten trout weights are also available from other years in the same month with comparable windows of time and levels of effort.

The meaning of the top ten fish ever in a state are much harder to interpret, because they are likely spread over a period of 50 years or more, and it is unlikely to have more than one or two measurements from the same year.

State records are outliers, far out on the tail of the "normal distribution." They also depend on a combination of optimal conditions to produce the fish and an angler being at the right place at the right time to catch it.

If you compare estuary to estuary, Big Lake can not hold a light to Baffin Bay for big trout. By big, I mean trout 9 lbs plus. All the studies in the world won't dispute that.

MathGeek 06-07-2012 10:07 AM

http://warnercnr.colostate.edu/%7Ebr...dition_002.jpg

The figure shows that the longer lake trout in Blue Mesa Reservoir were very, very fat in 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2006 when their primary food sources were plentiful. Yet the fatness bottomed out in 2009 when they were overpopulated and decimated their food sources. Efforts to thin the herd are starting to be successful and the longer fish were fatter in 2010 and 2011, because their food sources are rebounding in response to reduced predation.

A similar analysis for species in the Calcasieu Estuary would be tremendously informative.