SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What do yall think (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26775)

Sea-Trac Offshore 01-07-2012 07:17 PM

So many people these days that build rods. Do your homework and look at rods they build before you buy. Many people get the same blanks, eyes, and such throw it together in their garage and call it a custom rod for double the price.

Do your homework. Some custom companies are great and others are junk.

I have been using Matthews Custom Rods. He will walk you through what you want and the ones I have are great. They are top quality, great finish, and best of all catch fish! haha

bjhooper82 01-07-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG RED 1983 (Post 372963)
I don't even want the rod just giving my opinion if I want it I buy it I'm not going to wait around for it if they don't respond in 2-3 days max I would go somewhears else

So go boom it up your know what

LMAO, take it easy fella, just messing with you.

Bluechip 01-07-2012 07:43 PM

Lol....simmer down Big Red. It's all good.

BIG RED 1983 01-07-2012 08:26 PM

I know you have to take it as good as you can dish it out on this site that's why it is the best you guys do a realy good job of helping out rookies as my self

huntin fool 01-07-2012 08:36 PM

I say just buy a castaway and be done with the argument.

LPfishnTIM 01-07-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southshore Marine (Post 373014)
So many people these days that build rods. Do your homework and look at rods they build before you buy. Many people get the same blanks, eyes, and such throw it together in their garage and call it a custom rod for double the price.

Do your homework. Some custom companies are great and others are junk.

I have been using Matthews Custom Rods. He will walk you through what you want and the ones I have are great. They are top quality, great finish, and best of all catch fish! haha

I think the only reason to get a custom rod is for the placement of guides and which type you want. I get spiral rods made with 12-14 guides on a rod. there isn't a mass produced rod that is spiral with that many guides. and if there is I bet it cost way more then what I pay for a rod.

1fastmerc 01-07-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPfishnTIM (Post 373188)
I think the only reason to get a custom rod is for the placement of guides and which type you want. I get spiral rods made with 12-14 guides on a rod. there isn't a mass produced rod that is spiral with that many guides. and if there is I bet it cost way more then what I pay for a rod.

Why do you get so many guides?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iron man 01-07-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntin fool (Post 373070)
I say just buy a castaway and be done with the argument.

x18,980,764

LPfishnTIM 01-07-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1fastmerc (Post 373195)
Why do you get so many guides?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more guides the more sensitivity, and the more distribution of weight down the rod, less chance of a rod breaking,

bayouchub 01-07-2012 11:03 PM

The more guides on a rod actually dampen sensitivity.

huntin fool 01-07-2012 11:10 PM

And adds weight.

bayouchub 01-07-2012 11:15 PM

Thats the reason it dampens sensitivity. Extra unneeded guides actually put more friction on your line during a cast and decrease casting distance. You want the minimal amount of guides on a rod just as long as when the rod is under a full load with an all on top casting rod that your line does not go below the blank.

Shawn Braquet 01-07-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntin fool (Post 373248)
And adds weight.

Lift weights!

LPfishnTIM 01-07-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayouchub (Post 373236)
The more guides on a rod actually dampen sensitivity.

with the micro guides you can place more guides on a rod without altering the action. I wouldn't want that many with regular guides that are wrapped on the top and bottom.

bayouchub 01-07-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPfishnTIM (Post 373256)
with the micro guides you can place more guides on a rod without altering the action. I wouldn't want that many with regular guides that are wrapped on the top and bottom.

Tha is true but why not take advantage of why the micro was designed and save significant weight by not adding so many extra micros.

LPfishnTIM 01-07-2012 11:27 PM

I flip and pitch a lot, all my custom rods are heavy action, or med heavy. my saltwater rods aren't custom rods, there shimano and if they break, I swap them out at no cost!

LPfishnTIM 01-07-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayouchub (Post 373260)
Tha is true but why not take advantage of why the micro was designed and save significant weight by not adding so many extra micros.

most rods with micros have at least 10 guides, my rods are close to what a boyd duckett rod is but they are spiral rods. the extra guides are closer to the tip. and one rod has 13 guides and one has 12. 7ft and 7.5 ft.

PUREBAY2200 01-07-2012 11:40 PM

Stacking all those guides towards the tip don't mes with the balance or " bend" in rod??

bayouchub 01-07-2012 11:45 PM

It adds weight to the tip for no reason therefore it effects balance

LPfishnTIM 01-07-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PUREBAY2200 (Post 373280)
Stacking all those guides towards the tip don't mes with the balance or " bend" in rod??

the guides help distribute the weight along the rod, if the guides aren't place right you can stress an area in the rod and have a greater chance of breaking.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted