SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wiers Opening? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47771)

TNP 09-17-2013 06:02 PM

CyberEGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those of you that gave feedback from the original post that was useful and helpful, I thank you for that. This Forum I am sure started out to be just that, a place to communicate with others of the same interest and share experiences, information to help each other.

Problem is alot of you have a CyberEgo that is rediculous.
Check your EGO at the keyboard fella's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goooh 09-17-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNP (Post 628242)
For those of you that gave feedback from the original post that was useful and helpful, I thank you for that. This Forum I am sure started out to be just that, a place to communicate with others of the same interest and share experiences, information to help each other.

Problem is alot of you have a CyberEgo that is rediculous.

Any time

Sent

SULPHITE 09-17-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNP (Post 628242)

Problem is ONE of you have a CyberEgo that is rediculous.

fixed it...

"W" 09-17-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SULPHITE (Post 628253)
fixed it...

Lets here your thoughts Mr. USL

slickfish 09-17-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 628208)

If God did not want saltwater to intrude lakes and bays he would of make the gulf freshwater

W= uses so many worthless responses he has to involve the the man upstairs for support. Keep on keeping on smalls!

"W" 09-17-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickfish (Post 628258)
W= uses so many worthless responses he has to involve the the man upstairs for support. Keep on keeping on smalls!

Lmao Post 1o2 about me

I have your club "w" start up kit in the mail!!

You will where your shirt proud!!

Keep on following

SULPHITE 09-17-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 628257)
Lets here your thoughts Mr. USL

Are you assuming you were the ONE?

my thoughts on this are as follows:

you don't know enough to know that you know enough to know what enough is errrr or something like that...

Your going to argue this point until your blue in face regardless...Until you quit your job. Pony up for a 4 year degree in whatever field would qualify you as an expert in land erosion I suggest you take a little of the knowledge being offered here and apply it your real word experience.

But hey I'm just a dumb UL grad so carry on...I'm just here to watch the world go by...

Andy C 09-17-2013 08:21 PM

I try and stay out the political side of it. I Will catch fish either way.

Big pond 09-17-2013 08:22 PM

Just some info for everybody to take as u want my family settled in big lake in the middle 1800s the lake was a large marsh lake withe average depth of 2 to 3 foot it was filled with lily pads and many bass there were cypress trees in the northern end if u go into the far reaches of turners where it is shallow and look hard and pole around u can still feel some of the old stumps.my great grandfather had told me it was filled with many tropical and colorful birds. Which is the reason they came here they made a living shooting these birds and sending the colored feathers back to new York to make women's hats and clothes the calc river was shallow and always flowed out. Then the ship channell changed everything

Andy C 09-17-2013 08:31 PM

And I have a 4 year degree, Ag, and wildlife!!! From mcneese!! So been studying the west marsh for 10 year's since I got out of school. but what do I know??

"W" 09-17-2013 08:33 PM

If our marsh grass guys would worry more about land loss along the ship channel than some saltwater in a saltwater marsh then we could get somewhere

Steam engine island will be gone in a few years, super cut islands are gone north and south west cove entrance are getting wider, long point island is smaller

Real things like this

"W" 09-17-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C (Post 628273)
I try and stay out the political side of it. I Will catch fish either way.

That is why the weirs are closed political not logical

Save duck grass= good hunting = $$$$$

Andy C 09-17-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big pond (Post 628275)
Just some info for everybody to take as u want my family settled in big lake in the middle 1800s the lake was a large marsh lake withe average depth of 2 to 3 foot it was filled with lily pads and many bass there were cypress trees in the northern end if u go into the far reaches of turners where it is shallow and look hard and pole around u can still feel some of the old stumps.my great grandfather had told me it was filled with many tropical and colorful birds. Which is the reason they came here they made a living shooting these birds and sending the colored feathers back to new York to make women's hats and clothes the calc river was shallow and always flowed out. Then the ship channell changed everything

You should ask them about duhon shell druge, cause in the 50-65' they took every bit of shell and mud out the lake and westcove !!

SULPHITE 09-17-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C (Post 628278)
And I have a 4 year degree, Ag, and wildlife!!! From mcneese!! So been studying the west marsh for 10 year's since I got out of school. but what do I know??

Way more than me on this topic...I assume...

What arguement can you present to Duckbutt regarding his theory other than are "Are we doing the right thing"? What is the right thing? Yes mother nature will rebuild but at what rate? Will it be significant enough to combat what is supposedly being lost?

I don't know.

Thats why a collective assement from all sources need to be considered.

Again what do i know.

Andy C 09-17-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SULPHITE (Post 628283)
Way more than me on this topic...I assume...

What arguement can you present to Duckbutt regarding his theory other than are "Are we doing the right thing"? What is the right thing? Yes mother nature will rebuild but at what rate? Will it be significant enough to combat what is supposedly being lost?

I don't know.

Thats why a collective assement from all sources need to be considered.

Again what do i know.

That's a hard one to answer too, me personally let nature do it's thing. But with all the leaves and dams and locks up the rivers, it's hard to say what's best, cause just like our grandparents and there parents didn't know what effect what they did on it...

SULPHITE 09-17-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C (Post 628287)
That's a hard one to answer too, me personally let nature do it's thing. But with all the leaves and dams and locks up the rivers, it's hard to say what's best, cause just like our grandparents and there parents didn't know what effect what they did on it...

Agreed. The channel is crucial for the survival of our economy in southwest LA.

I for one make a living based on industries which utilize the channel for shippng and recieving various products.

Our fore fathers made a critical error, now whats steps do we take to minimize the known issue?

Or is too far gone?

meaux fishing 09-17-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 628279)
If our marsh grass guys would worry more about land loss along the ship channel than some saltwater in a saltwater marsh then we could get somewhere

Steam engine island will be gone in a few years, super cut islands are gone north and south west cove entrance are getting wider, long point island is smaller

Real things like this

Only thing you can do to save those islands is put rocks around em

slickfish 09-17-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Real things like this

Hey smalls what does that tell ya? Things are changing an you can't do nothing about it. I'm going to laugh when you're the last one standing scratching your head while everyone else has accepted change an learned to adapt. A matter of fact it's already happening look at your catch totals lately an tourney results. So you call your self a guide? Ya outta see if you piggyback off jadams if your going to make it in the business short one.:eek:

"W" 09-17-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickfish (Post 628295)
Hey smalls what does that tell ya? Things are changing an you can't do nothing about it. I'm going to laugh when you're the last one standing scratching your head while everyone else has accepted change an learned to adapt. A matter of fact it's already happening look at your catch totals lately an tourney results. So you call your self a guide? Ya outta see if you piggyback off jadams if your going to make it in the business short one.:eek:

Look my duck ^^^^

O my guide business is doing fine!!! Booked 4 out of 7 days off for next 3 months @ $525 a pop!!

slickfish 09-17-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 628297)
Look my duck ^^^^

O my guide business is doing fine!!! Booked 4 out of 7 days off for next 3 months @ $525 a pop!!

That's fantastic!!! How about posting up honest daily pics an reports for the next three months on your charters? Seems like a fishing site would be a great place to promote your services.

"W" 09-17-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickfish (Post 628300)
That's fantastic!!! How about posting up honest daily pics an reports for the next three months on your charters? Seems like a fishing site would be a great place to promote your services.

Go to my facebook u can get them daily

slickfish 09-17-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 628301)
Go to my facebook u can get them daily

so you don't like promoting your GUIDE BUSINES on salty cajun? Jadams does.

mstulb 09-17-2013 09:22 PM

Exactly

[QUOTE="W";628280]That is why the weirs are closed political not logica

Save duck grass= good hunting = $$$$$[/QUOTE
:fireworks:

Nickt87 09-17-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntin fool (Post 628226)
Facts? What facts do I need to present to you about a river system that you know little about?
In fact (oh there's that word again) I'm looking at a marsh right now that has turned into nothing but a **** hole due to saltwater north of the Barrier

You said "Infact" and then stated nothing factual. I was honestly wondering what the fact was.

To make a legitimate fact based statement you must state something and then back it up with a supporting fact. For example, "In fact the saltwater barrier doesn't keep saltwater out like most people think. It is a structure engineered and designed primarily to control drastic tides and surges rather than the infamous everyday salt intrusion from the south. "

I have no idea if the above is true, but that is the type of response an educated person would give when trying to state a fact or make a point. Work on that before you go take your LEAP test this year little Johnny.

Seems like you know little about your own marsh other than when your daddy takes you fishing you catch saltwater fish.

"W" 09-17-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickfish (Post 628302)
so you don't like promoting your GUIDE BUSINES on salty cajun? Jadams does.

Im not JAdams am I??? I stay book with more trips than I can run!!

So next question?

Your shirt is coming

slickfish 09-17-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 628307)
Im not JAdams am I???

FAR FROM IT!! Keep up the good fight.

"W" 09-17-2013 09:37 PM

Stulb- they have know clue what we know

But we do know saltwater in a saltwater marsh is a horrible sin

huntin fool 09-17-2013 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickt87 (Post 628306)
You said "Infact" and then stated nothing factual. I was honestly wondering what the fact was.

To make a legitimate fact based statement you must state something and then back it up with a supporting fact. For example, "In fact the saltwater barrier doesn't keep saltwater out like most people think. It is a structure engineered and designed primarily to control drastic tides and surges rather than the infamous everyday salt intrusion from the south. "

I have no idea if the above is true, but that is the type of response an educated person would give when trying to state a fact or make a point. Work on that before you go take your LEAP test this year little Johnny.

Seems like you know little about your own marsh other than when your daddy takes you fishing you catch saltwater fish.

Don't get mad you can't slap up a limit of trout.. Got this today, darlin'
Funny how You switched to correcting grammatical errors due to your lack of knowledge on the subject. Take a seat Attachment 55908

SULPHITE 09-17-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 628309)
Stulb- they have know clue what we know

But we do know saltwater in a saltwater marsh is a horrible sin

Well dammit let everyone know...what are you afraid of? Maybe enough people pissed will make it change...

"W" 09-17-2013 09:47 PM

Lmao @ Hunting Fool

Dude tossed up a report card

huntin fool 09-17-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 628312)
Lmao @ Hunting Fool

Dude tossed up a report card

Transcrip dawg. Transcript.

By the way. Graduation is comin up. Get ya check book out

"W" 09-17-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SULPHITE (Post 628311)
Well dammit let everyone know...what are you afraid of? Maybe enough people pissed will make it change...

You cant change $$$$$$$$$$

Its has zero to do with erosion, save the marsh or salinity

It is all about who has the most $$$ = most power
Old politics

mriguy 09-17-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntin fool (Post 628313)
Transcrip dawg. Transcript.

By the way. Graduation is comin up. Get ya check book out

Very nice transcript Fool

Nickt87 09-17-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntin fool (Post 628310)
Don't get mad you can't slap up a limit of trout.. Got this today, darlin'
Funny how You switched to correcting grammatical errors due to your lack of knowledge on the subject. Take a seat Attachment 55908

Give us facts about what you say!!! We want facts boy!

SULPHITE 09-17-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 628315)
You cant change $$$$$$$$$$

Its has zero to do with erosion, save the marsh or salinity

It is all about who has the most $$$ = most power
Old politics

Understood. It's a problem that mankind has faced since the beginning (economics)

Now who specifically is the culprit...be it a group, individual, etc

Forgive me for not paying attention to the 12 other threads started about this topic (why I'm in this one I do not know) what was the original intent of the weir system?

huntin fool 09-17-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickt87 (Post 628317)
Give us facts about what you say!!! We want facts boy!

What do you want facts on Nicky? We are saving the barrier discussion for another thread.

Weren't you the scrub who said the marsh couldn't freeze previously in this thread?

Nickt87 09-17-2013 10:03 PM

[QUOTE=huntin fool;628319]What do you want facts on Nicky? We are saving the barrier discussion for another thread.

Weren't you the scrub who said the marsh couldn't freeze previously in this thread?[/

Did say that it happens very very seldom and won't happen anytime near when shrimp are in there. Been hunting longer than you have been alive and can count maybe a half dozen times I broke ice on salt marsh.

SULPHITE 09-17-2013 10:08 PM

W this the power of the Internet....social media and Internet forums...it gives the little man (no pun intended) the opportunity to voice their concern and quite possibly be heard.

Maybe your concern for the corruption involved with the weir system could open eyes of the many...

Hell Egypt used social media to oust a tyrannical leader (which brought in the Muslim brotherhood) by coordinating protest and voicing their agenda.

1. Understand factual problems associated with the weir system
2. Pinpoint the cause of the problem
3. Coordinate an effort to reverse the problem
4. Rape the lake.

4 simple steps to gain the power you so richly deserve

huntin fool 09-17-2013 10:08 PM

Did say that it happens very very seldom and won't happen anytime near when shrimp are in there. Been hunting longer than you have been alive and can count maybe a half dozen times I broke ice on salt marsh.[/QUOTE]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickt87 (Post 626611)
Last time I broke ice duck hunting in La anytime was......probaly 1998. It just doesn't happen in the marsh. Plus, the saltier the water the colder it has to be to freeze..........duh. Ain't gonna happen.

Oh. So in 1998 you broke ice with shrimp in the marsh? Damn break out the ziplocks, get to bagging some frozen shrimp.

"It ain't gonna happen" famous quote right there.

Nickt87 09-17-2013 10:09 PM

[quote=Nickt87;628322]
Quote:

Originally Posted by huntin fool (Post 628319)
What do you want facts on Nicky? We are saving the barrier discussion for another thread.

Weren't you the scrub who said the marsh couldn't freeze previously in this thread?[/

Did say that it happens very very seldom and won't happen anytime near when shrimp are in there. Been hunting longer than you have been alive and can count maybe a half dozen times I broke ice on salt marsh.

And even if it does freeze when your shrimp are caught behind the weirs no one gives a flying flag that shrimp boot billy didn't get to catch that year and make his drug money on selling 5 gallon buckets of shrimp. A shrimp kill is a fly on a bulls arse compared to saltwater intrusion.

Nickt87 09-17-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntin fool (Post 628324)

Oh. So in 1998 you broke ice with shrimp in the marsh? Damn break out the ziplocks, get to bagging some frozen shrimp.

"It ain't gonna happen" famous quote right there.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Shrimp were long gone at that time.

Nickt87 09-17-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SULPHITE (Post 628323)
W this the power of the Internet....social media and Internet forums...it gives the little man (no pun intended) the opportunity to voice their concern and quite possibly be heard.

Maybe your concern for the corruption involved with the weir system could open eyes of the many...

Hell Egypt used social media to oust a tyrannical leader (which brought in the Muslim brotherhood) by coordinating protest and voicing their agenda.

1. Understand factual problems associated with the weir system
2. Pinpoint the cause of the problem
3. Coordinate an effort to reverse the problem
4. Rape the lake.
4 simple steps to gain the power you so richly deserve

Amen. Go get a job where you are payed to think and call the shots or quit crying. Play the hand your dealt and deal with it. The man with the gold makes the rules, so get the gold or get to packing.

"W" 09-17-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SULPHITE (Post 628318)
Understood. It's a problem that mankind has faced since the beginning (economics)

Now who specifically is the culprit...be it a group, individual, etc

Forgive me for not paying attention to the 12 other threads started about this topic (why I'm in this one I do not know) what was the original intent of the weir system?

1st its a federal refuge funded by our tax dollars
Managed by $$$$$$

And the CCA will not touch this issue with a toe nail!!!

Im surprised none of those crabbers from Cameron have not sent those weirs up in powder

Lots of people losing money right now

SULPHITE 09-17-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 628330)
1st its a federal refuge funded by our tax dollars
Managed by $$$$$$

Here is your first arguement that needs to be presented....I along with everyone (hopefully) on this site pay taxes.

You need a solid arguement as to why our tax dollars are being used for political gain.

Raise this issue, hopefully someone reading this knows the correct avenue or someone who does in order to get the ball rolling.

M29ogie 09-18-2013 06:47 AM

When will they open the boat bay? I am assuming some time in October?

Duck Butter 09-18-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Real things like this

Good morning all!:rotfl:

That is the problem W and if you would 'except' the fact that you are wrong by calling it saltwater marsh we may get somewhere. Its brackish marsh. Brackish marsh does not = saltmarsh. That is the problem:)

"W" 09-18-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M29ogie (Post 628352)

Need 9 more inches of rain

Were trying to save the duck grass from getting salty!! Our saltwater marsh is not allowed saltwater

I dont see them opening up until we have a good flood rain for a few days

Duck Butter 09-18-2013 08:18 AM

Anyone that does not believe saltwater intrusion is bad in SW La, please just do the following:

1. Call or stop by the LDWF office in Lake Charles and 'axe' a biologist there about saltwater intrusion effects on the marshes of SW La

2. Head straight down 27 from there to Cameron Prairie NWR and axe someone there if saltwater intrusion is affecting them negatively

3. On the way there check out the marshes to the west and east side of the road and look at all that open water

4. At 82 head east to Rockefeller and stop in and talk to a biologist or manager there about saltwater intrusion and how its affecting management there

5. Keep heading west and look to the north side of the road and notice all those big old live oaks along the side of the road that saltwater killed

6. Keep heading east til you cross the Intracoastal and talk to a rice farmer in Vermilion Parish and see if saltwater is affecting them

7. Stop by in Lafayette and drink a beer with me:grinpimp:

Duck Butter 09-18-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 628377)
Need 9 more inches of rain

Were trying to save the duck grass from getting salty!! Our BRACKISH marsh is not allowed saltwater

I dont see them opening up until we have a good flood rain for a few days

:)

Nickt87 09-18-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M29ogie (Post 628352)

Idk, but as soon as they do I will be out there with 4 rods, a cast net, and a dozen crab lines hanging off my boat.....not kidding.:D