SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Planting for dove season (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30675)

DUCKGOGETTER 05-03-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salteredneck (Post 427470)
well that changes things. Just give me the heads up and i will make arrangements.... If that s.o.b chris meche is invited i aint going!!! Dcikgogetter. Pahahahhaaha just kidding chris!

lol!!!!!!!!! Touche!!!

Micah 05-03-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUCKGOGETTER (Post 427469)
me personally have never done good on doves in the morning. Now mid-late afternoon look out!

That's right. The reason I love to dove hunt is the cooking and drinking/hanging out afterwards.

SaltERedneck 05-03-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micah (Post 427472)
That's right. The reason I love to dove hunt is the cooking and drinking/hanging out afterwards.

well bro I can help with the hunting and cooking.... cant help u with the drinking unless you talking bout H2O. when we going fishing? i just got a side scan 798 hummingbird... cant wait to play in toledo with it!

DUCKGOGETTER 05-03-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micah (Post 427472)
that's right. The reason i love to dove hunt is the cooking and drinking/hanging out afterwards.

I don't even need to hunt i'll cook and laugh at Eddies shooting skills! Well on second thought i'll bring my gun to help him out. Boom!!!!!!!!!! Lol!!

Micah 05-03-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltERedneck (Post 427482)
well bro I can help with the hunting and cooking.... cant help u with the drinking unless you talking bout H2O. when we going fishing? i just got a side scan 798 hummingbird... cant wait to play in toledo with it!

I'll have water for you. When's the Toledo trip?

SaltERedneck 05-03-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micah (Post 427506)
I'll have water for you. When's the Toledo trip?

dont know... talk to keith and get it set up. hopefully may 19th or so. the 12th might be hard to pull off. When are you off????

Micah 05-03-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltERedneck (Post 427521)
dont know... talk to keith and get it set up. hopefully may 19th or so. the 12th might be hard to pull off. When are you off????

Weekend of the 12th and 19th are my two weekends off. 12th is most likely a no go for me.

SaltERedneck 05-03-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micah (Post 427522)
Weekend of the 12th and 19th are my two weekends off. 12th is most likely a no go for me.

call keith and tell him the 19th is the time to go. Chris wants to go also. me, u, keith, quin, chris.... sounds good to me.

Micah 05-03-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltERedneck (Post 427523)
call keith and tell him the 19th is the time to go. Chris wants to go also. me, u, keith, quin, chris.... sounds good to me.

I only know one Chris and there aint no way that guys gettin invited :rolleyes:;)

DUCKGOGETTER 05-03-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micah (Post 427530)
i only know one chris and there aint no way that guys gettin invited :rolleyes:;)

lol!!!!!! Let me know as soon as ya'll can on a date, and i'll see what i can do. I work on saturdays and we have to have any vacation request in 3 weeks in advance, but i'll sure try.

Micah 06-27-2012 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well didn't end up planting but I got this growing like wild fire!!! This spot hasn't been cut in a couple months.

Micah 06-27-2012 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This spot was cut about 3 weeks ago.

Reefman 06-28-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micah (Post 453400)
Well didn't end up planting but I got this growing like wild fire!!! This spot hasn't been cut in a couple months.

I'm having dove dreams over that pic! DON'T cut that until a week before the season....In fact, don't cut it at all! Let those seeds start popping out. Those plants will produce until first frost. Dove do like a clean patch but will go into that without hesitation. At the end of Oct. bush hog it real good, windrow then burn the windrow.... Will attract another bunch of birds after you burn. You could possibly shoot through all three seasons if managed properly! Looks great...good luck!

By chance do you have any birds hanging around your field right now?????

Micah 06-28-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefman (Post 454060)
I'm having dove dreams over that pic! DON'T cut that until a week before the season....In fact, don't cut it at all! Let those seeds start popping out. Those plants will produce until first frost. Dove do like a clean patch but will go into that without hesitation. At the end of Oct. bush hog it real good, windrow then burn the windrow.... Will attract another bunch of birds after you burn. You could possibly shoot through all three seasons if managed properly! Looks great...good luck!

By chance do you have any birds hanging around your field right now?????

Thanks for the additional info.

Doves stay pretty thick year round out here, I see quite a few when I'm outside.

I've noticed the last couple weeks that the bobwhite quail are thick out here too. I had to stop my truck in the road the other day to let a few cross.

Smalls 06-28-2012 12:33 PM

Oh man that's awesome that you have some bobwhite. I love those little guys. Wish we had more around, cause I would love to hunt them, but the population just isn't there, or on any of the public land I hunt. lol. And reefman is right on with what he said. Dove will jump in that thick stuff in a heart beat. They love croton (pretty sure that's what that is). OOooooh, can't wait for the season, already gettin the itch (must.....not.....shoot.....birds on bird feeder....haha).

Micah 06-28-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smalls (Post 454083)
Oh man that's awesome that you have some bobwhite. I love those little guys. Wish we had more around, cause I would love to hunt them, but the population just isn't there, or on any of the public land I hunt. lol. And reefman is right on with what he said. Dove will jump in that thick stuff in a heart beat. They love croton (pretty sure that's what that is). OOooooh, can't wait for the season, already gettin the itch (must.....not.....shoot.....birds on bird feeder....haha).

Yes, its woolly croton.

Micah 06-28-2012 12:40 PM

Is there even a quail season down here?

SaltERedneck 06-28-2012 12:41 PM

micah i better get a call....

DUCKGOGETTER 06-28-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salteredneck (Post 454090)
micah i better get a call....

x2!!! Somebodies got to kill his limit for him! Lol!!!!!

Smalls 06-28-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micah (Post 454088)
Is there even a quail season down here?

Yeah, very limited, think it opens up around the same time as woodcock. Just isn't as much habitat for them anymore. Very particular birds, being that they are ground dwellers, they have to have ground coverage but also room to run underneath that cover. That croton might provide them with the coverage they need. If you managed that in a particular way, if you were interested in quail, I bet you could have a bunch of birds.

And after I looked back at the pic I knew it was Wooly Croton.