SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Planting for dove season (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30675)

Reefman 07-19-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluewing (Post 464577)
Do ya'll ever cut the sunflower seeds in the field during the season, or let them just drop seeds naturally

The hunt master allows to fall naturally for the first season. The second season he shreds several rows at a time, windrows then burns. He manages the crop to have fresh cut all season long. With the short 3rd split any sunflower/birdeye/brown top is cut and burned one week before. Last year the brown top that was cut and burned at the beginning of the 2nd came back up for the 3rd split headed with no freeze to kill it.

Top Dawg 07-19-2012 10:11 AM

I bet is was a mass murder.

Reefman 07-19-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 464816)
I bet is was a mass murder.

Surprisingly, the third season was un-eventful. Birds in our area by December are smarter than us! Hard to get them to work when you're hunting. They become blind shy, truck shy just plain hard to get them to work into the fields. They all come in one big flock at the same time...first gun shot and they hit the road. I can't figure with all the feed we have and most other fields in the area barren of any feed, why we struggle the 3rd split. Seems we're working over the same birds that been here since Oct. Most of the migration of new doves that come through our area seem to have come and gone by December. Just don't know.:confused:

Gerald 07-19-2012 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a sun flower grow here at the house that had 6 "flowers" on it.

Reefman 04-09-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micah (Post 425084)
I plan on planting my back couple of acres for dove season this year. Thinking about sunflower but haven't decided yet. When should i start prepping and planting? I might even just disk up whats there already(goatweed)....what yall think?

It's about time to start preparing those dove fields! What, if any, are you going to do this year? We're waiting for fields to dry up some more...just too wet to plow. Boss man already laid down herbicide.

Finfeatherfur 04-09-2013 01:45 PM

I have all the seed purchased, but too wet to plant in MS. I am planting about 2 acres of sunflower which is ideal to plant April 15th, but don't think I will make that one. Also have 50 lbs of White millet to plant along the edges which will go in May 15th. To keep the deer off of it, I will also plant 25 lbs of Cow Peas to go on a plot 1/2 mile away to use as a sacrifical food source in hopes they do not impact the sunflowers. May not work, but worth a try!!!

Micah 04-09-2013 02:23 PM

I wish I could but I doubt that I have time to do it.

SaltERedneck 04-09-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micah (Post 568964)
I wish I could but I doubt that I have time to do it.

either way we gonna smoke em again!!!! just plant a little plot right in da middle of your field lol.