SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What say we sponsor a family for Christmas? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15161)

ShadMan 12-02-2010 08:51 PM

What say we sponsor a family for Christmas?

What do y'all think about SaltyCajun sponsoring a deserving family or two that has fallen on hard times for Christmas? It would entail collecting some gifts for children and/or funds to present to the parents to help with gifts and expenses. There are a lot of folks going through some serious hardships what with the economy being what it has for the last few years. Does anybody know of a family that can really use some help? Feel free to send me a PM with info if you don't want to post it publicly.

Also, please post up if you are willing to step up and help out in some capacity. If there is enough interest in doing this, we'll get it going.

Bluechip 12-02-2010 08:53 PM

My plate is pretty full this month but I am willing to donate some cash for the cause.....

SaltyShaw 12-02-2010 08:58 PM

Just let me know what you have in mind and I would be more than happy to help if I'm not offshore and or I'll pitch in anyway I can, this is a great idea for a great cause!

DUCKGOGETTER 12-02-2010 09:06 PM

I'm in. Just let me know

meaux fishing 12-02-2010 09:21 PM

how about sponsor a college student for christmas..;)

j/k Ill help out if i can

fishinpox 12-02-2010 09:43 PM

Just let me know

PaulMyers 12-02-2010 10:01 PM

I'm in, let me know what I can do.

Matt D 12-02-2010 10:24 PM

I am willing to help in some kind of way.

ShadMan 12-02-2010 10:47 PM

For those who wish to donate cash, you can send a PayPal to admin@saltycajun.com . I'll post up a total amount collected each day that I receive a donation (assuming I get online that evening). Anyone who donates $25 or more will get a free month of premium membership, $50 or more will get the same plus a sticker when we get the new ones printed, and $100 or more also gets you a SC t-shirt when they are available.

Now I just need y'all's help to find a couple deserving families. ;)

Ray 12-02-2010 11:17 PM

The Buccaneers went to raid a Christmas party for the special needs people in Calcasieu Parish tonight to hand out beads and dabloons. We were surprised, there were around 800 to 1000 of them in the Habibi Temple tonight.
I gave out 2 gross' of beads and several hundred dbloons. My wife cried almost the whole time we were in there. She couldn't believe how many special needs people there were in this parish. There were probably several that were not there either.

simplepeddler 12-02-2010 11:20 PM

Let's make it so number 1!
i'm in

Salty 12-03-2010 11:38 AM

cOUnt me in

Deerfarmer 12-03-2010 07:34 PM

Poor Man's

Are you the same Paul Myers that hunted Poor Man's Hunting Club a few years back.
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 210134)
I'm in, let me know what I can do.

fishinpox 12-03-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadMan (Post 210146)
For those who wish to donate cash, you can send a PayPal to admin@saltycajun.com . I'll post up a total amount collected each day that I receive a donation (assuming I get online that evening). Anyone who donates $25 or more will get a free month of premium membership, $50 or more will get the same plus a sticker when we get the new ones printed, and $100 or more also gets you a SC t-shirt when they are available.

Now I just need y'all's help to find a couple deserving families. ;)

are we planning on giving the families cash to buy presents with, pay bills ect?? or are we gonnna use thecash and shad buy the gifts for the kids ect... IMO i think we need to give actual gifts for the kids to make sure thry have a memorable xmass.

jchief 12-04-2010 08:15 AM

How will the families be chosen and where are they at?

The fire departmetn is getting with a local church and putting food/gift baskets together.

PaulMyers 12-04-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deerfarmer (Post 210286)
Are you the same Paul Myers that hunted Poor Man's Hunting Club a few years back.

Not that I know of. Where is Poor Man's Hunting Club?

southern151 12-04-2010 05:05 PM

As far as sponsoring a family, I think it's a great idea but don't believe cash is not the way to go. We had a deal back home where we brought them a hot meal with presents on Christmas Eve. It made me cry on more than one occasion. We once showed up at a house, the name given by our home county and, the man was heating up hot dogs on the stove for the Christmas dinner. There was no tree. There was no presents. A teacher across the street had told us of the situation of a single father raising his three kids. Times get tight.... The look on those 3 kids faces when we showed up, Santa in tow, with everything they needed for a REAL Christmas, was irreplacable!(SP?)

My wife and I are already sponsoring a senior citizen through the church this year but, if there is anything I can do, you know I'm on board! It's a little tight now, but, what you gonna take with ya when you're gone?...Not a dime!

God Bless and I hope we can get on board with donations enough to cater to more than one family's needs! I don't care where the families are located. There are families all across our great nation that deserve a great Christmas that won't have one if it's not for people like us that can provide it!

Donation sent.

Deerfarmer 12-04-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 210356)
Not that I know of. Where is Poor Man's Hunting Club?

Jackson Louisiana. If you don't know where it is, it must be a different Paul Myers. Hunted with him years ago.

PaulMyers 12-04-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deerfarmer (Post 210360)
Jackson Louisiana. If you don't know where it is, it must be a different Paul Myers. Hunted with him years ago.

Nope, Wasn't me especially if the hunting was any good! The last deer I kilt was near Fort McKavett, Tx. like 25~30 years ago. I've been hunting since then, just haven't kilt nothing.

ShadMan 12-04-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 210287)
are we planning on giving the families cash to buy presents with, pay bills ect?? or are we gonnna use thecash and shad buy the gifts for the kids ect... IMO i think we need to give actual gifts for the kids to make sure thry have a memorable xmass.

I would lean towards buying gifts instead of giving cash, but I'm open to whatever we all decide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchief (Post 210316)
How will the families be chosen and where are they at?

The fire departmetn is getting with a local church and putting food/gift baskets together.

This is also up to y'all. Let me know if you know of any families in need. It'll be a LA family, but where depends on your suggestions. If we gey enough money pooled up, we may be able to help 2 or 3 families.

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern151 (Post 210357)
As far as sponsoring a family, I think it's a great idea but don't believe cash is not the way to go. We had a deal back home where we brought them a hot meal with presents on Christmas Eve. It made me cry on more than one occasion. We once showed up at a house, the name given by our home county and, the man was heating up hot dogs on the stove for the Christmas dinner. There was no tree. There was no presents. A teacher across the street had told us of the situation of a single father raising his three kids. Times get tight.... The look on those 3 kids faces when we showed up, Santa in tow, with everything they needed for a REAL Christmas, was irreplacable!(SP?)

Donation sent.

That sounds really cool! I'd definitely be interested in doing something similar...bringing Christmas to a family that wouldn't otherwise have one. Thanks for the donation!

So far I've received $75 to go towards this and Billy has offered up a rod to auction off. When I have pictures and more info I'll post it up and we'll get the auction started. :cheers:

SaltyShaw 12-04-2010 07:35 PM

ill be sending a donation soon . . . . and what southern did is a great idea! There is nothing that can top that! I would love to do something like that!

billystix custom rods 12-04-2010 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadMan (Post 210368)
I would lean towards buying gifts instead of giving cash, but I'm open to whatever we all decide.

This is also up to y'all. Let me know if you know of any families in need. It'll be a LA family, but where depends on your suggestions. If we gey enough money pooled up, we may be able to help 2 or 3 families.

That sounds really cool! I'd definitely be interested in doing something similar...bringing Christmas to a family that wouldn't otherwise have one. Thanks for the donation!

So far I've received $75 to go towards this and Billy has offered up a rod to auction off. When I have pictures and more info I'll post it up and we'll get the auction started. :cheers:

i was going to get the photo tonight but they killed me at work today and i have a full plate for christmas and just wore out today, perhaps tomorrow mon for sure.
what i have is a cajun themed 7ft6 spiralstix and a 6ft 10 i think off shore spiral, i believe it's #30--#50 and what i am thinking the bid could go for the one that you want.
i will try to take some really good shot's so that you will be able to see what you are biding on.
if you have any coment's please post them up.
stix

PaulMyers 12-04-2010 09:13 PM

Billy, That's fantastic of you to make a donation so far away from home. Thanks:)

southern151 12-04-2010 09:17 PM

If it's made to this side of the state, I'll also pitch in a turkey and fry it. I'll have Eman come help with the event! I know he loves to cook so, I know he'd be willing to help me with that. He'd even make a good Santa! Lol

PaulMyers 12-04-2010 09:47 PM

Maybe if we collect enough we can do both sides of the state.

southern151 12-04-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 210406)
Maybe if we collect enough we can do both sides of the state.

That would be awesome!;)

PaulMyers 12-13-2010 07:19 PM

Donation has just been made. :)

Do we have an updated total?

Just wondering how we are doing.

BellPepperHead 12-13-2010 07:25 PM

Count me in as well let me know what is needed.

ShadMan 12-13-2010 08:00 PM

Thanks, Paul! With your donation we are up to $125.

Has anyone located a family in need?

ShadMan 12-13-2010 08:06 PM

I haven't received the pics from Billy yet, but we need to go ahead and get the auction going. Essentially it is for your choice on one of the rods listed:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billystix
what i have is a cajun themed 7ft6 spiralstix and a 6ft 10 i think off shore spiral, i believe it's #30--#50 and what i am thinking the bid could go for the one that you want.

Billy wants at least $200 to go to the family from this, so let's start the bidding at $200...any takers? This is about a $50 discount from his normal price, and you're helping a family for Christmas at the same time. Either would make a terrific Christmas gift! :cheers:

PaulMyers 12-13-2010 08:21 PM

ShadMan can you maybe sticky this thread. I'm sure more people would jump in and help out. I had forgotten about it until today and had to hunt for it.

ShadMan 12-13-2010 08:32 PM

Paul, it's been a sticky since the day I posted it. ;)

PaulMyers 12-13-2010 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadMan (Post 212112)
Paul, it's been a sticky since the day I posted it. ;)

Must have been the view I was using. :o

Reverend Redfish 12-14-2010 10:46 PM

I am definitely in for helping a needy family.

Someone, please keep me posted on what the plan is.

Rev

billystix custom rods 12-15-2010 07:05 AM

Billystix raffle rods

6 Attachment(s)
hi guy's
sorry for the delay but my candle is burning at both ends.
what i think is a great idea is to raffle off your choice of the following ,a completed rod or a rod that you can bid on and call me to have it completed to your spec's, both rods are 7ft med action 1 rod has a 7 in grip and one has a 9 in grip, you can see by the phot's, both have no trigger and no foregrip, do not let the deal with no trigger fool you the comfort hump is by far a way cool design and i have had no one complain after trying it out "even a doubter":*****: trust me on this it is way cool.
also both rods have low profile titanium guides ,the retail on these guides are close to $150 now yes that is retail only add that to the cost of the rod itself and a rod builder would ask at least $450 for either rod, blank's are by american tackle made in the usa.
let's start the raffle at $160 and i would like to see the rod go for $250.
now winner pay's me postage on his rod .
ok let the bidding start and remember it is for someone that need's the money.
stix
ps
rod #2 which ever one is not sold can be had for a decent price.

wise1 12-15-2010 09:21 AM

Donation made. Please let me know if I can help out in any other way.

Andy C 12-15-2010 10:02 AM

i am in

ShadMan 12-15-2010 10:58 AM

Thanks for the very generous donations! With the two donations I received this morning from the folks above, we are up to $325 now. Let's keep the donations coming!

Billy - That's an awesome deal for that rod, bro! I'll jump in and place the first bid of $160. Let's get it going, guys! :cheers:

We still need to identify a family to help, so post up or send me a PM if you know of anyone, or if you know of a group that is sponsoring a bunch of families with meals, gifts, etc. that our donations can go to if we don't find a specific family to help out.

ShadMan 12-19-2010 11:41 PM

No bids for the Billystix rod? It has a $200 minimum, so we need some bids for Billy to donate it!

Also, we still haven't identified a family. Does anyone know of a church group, fire station, etc that is helping families for Christmas that we can donate the money to? I want it to go where it will be best used to help the greatest number of people. Post up any ideas, as we need to find something in the next couple days.

southern151 12-20-2010 08:59 AM

I know my church, St. Teresa is doing drives for Christmas families. I can get you in touch with their office if you'd like.

PaulMyers 12-20-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern151 (Post 212987)
I know my church, St. Teresa is doing drives for Christmas families. I can get you in touch with their office if you'd like.

Sounds like a winner to me Corey:D

wise1 12-20-2010 10:13 AM

200.00 on the rod

ShadMan 12-20-2010 10:23 AM

Awesome, thanks for the bid!

We'll close the bidding at 5PM today, so if anyone else wants to bid, now's the time!

Corey, please PM me their info and if you have any specifics about what they are doing, etc. Thanks!

eman 12-20-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern151 (Post 210392)
If it's made to this side of the state, I'll also pitch in a turkey and fry it. I'll have Eman come help with the event! I know he loves to cook so, I know he'd be willing to help me with that. He'd even make a good Santa! Lol

Yep i like playing sandy claws and cooking.

ShadMan 12-20-2010 06:26 PM

OK, it looks like we have a winner on the rod! Please send a PayPal to admin@saltycajun.com and a PM to Billystix about the rod. Thanks!

ShadMan 12-21-2010 11:25 PM

I received Jamie's money for the rod, so we are up to $525 now.

Corey - Would you mind getting me the options available at your church. I received your PM but I'm up in the mountains near Taos right now and my cell doesn't work and I can only occasionally get internet access. If you can get me a PayPal address for them, that would be awesome. If they don't have one, I can send you the PayPal and you can present them a check on behalf of SaltyCajun if you don't mind. Thanks!

southern151 12-21-2010 11:43 PM

From what they told me, they are much like many other churches. They have needs for families year-round. What Ms. Cybil told me is that they pretty much had all of their Christmas families tended to for the year but have an on-going food bank and services similar to that. From what she said, it sounds like unless we specifically asked for it to wait for the year, the funds would be distributed to families in need, beit diapers, food, clothing, etc.

I really have no bias in this matter. Whatever the folks here want to do is great by me. I will GLADLY take a check there tomorrow on behalf of the fine members of SaltyCajun! In regards to a Christmas family, I feel we waited too long this year for it to develop into what I feel could truly benefit any one family or perhaps more. That is at no one individual's fault. I'd love to be involved more in it next year, schedule permitting.

Shad, I'll leave it up to you and the other contributors for this cause as to what happens with the funds that have been raised. No matter what is done with it, I applaud everyone who contributed!

Shad, I'll PM you my number and you can let me know what you want to do.

I was reminded of a saying the other day; Give and you shall recieve. Thanks to everyone who contributed and to a great site owner Shadman and an equally great sponsor, BillyStix!

Thanks to All and Merry Christmas,
Corey Fisher

Andy C 12-22-2010 10:01 AM

[QUOTE=southern151;213322]From what they told me, they are much like many other churches. They have needs for families year-round. What Ms. Cybil told me is that they pretty much had all of their Christmas families tended to for the year but have an on-going food bank and services similar to that. From what she said, it sounds like unless we specifically asked for it to wait for the year, the funds would be distributed to families in need, beit diapers, food, clothing, etc.

Thats fine with me. The hole point was to help a family/familys in need

ShadMan 12-22-2010 11:05 AM

Corey - I agree, I waited too long to get this going this year. Next time we'll kick it off earlier and directly help a couple families. I am perfectly happy with the funds going to your church since they were sponsoring families for Christmas and will continue to do so throughout the year. Please PM me your PayPal address and I'll send you the funds next time I can get online. Thanks!

southern151 12-22-2010 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is friends! I'm waiting on a call back from the church right now and will be heading down there as soon as I hear from them.

Thanks to everyone for participating in this! A special thanks goes out to Mr. BillyStix for his generous donation!

Hopefully next year we can put something together a little more individual family specified. This is still a wonderful gift that will help many through the Christmas season!

I am humbled and proud to be a part of this site!

Attachment 16726