SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sheriff Department theives (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21370)

Flatfishfreak 07-28-2011 03:36 AM

Sheriff Department theives
 
I got pulled over at a Sheriff Dept check point last Friday night on my way home from work at Saint Johns Elementary School.First they asked if I had been drinking then if I had been smoking Marijuana or incense whatever that is when I said no "which i had nothing to drink or smoke" they asked if they could search my vehicle.I replied have a ball but you ain't gonna find nothing which they did not.Anyway the officers asked if I had any weapons and I told them I had a pocket knife.The officer reached in my pocket and took it out "Cuz I'm a big criminal" I have no prior arrest or DWI's anywho when they get done searching threw all my tackle boxes and wal mart bags of tackle and camping gear and find nothing they let me go and I realise the next day the S.O.B. stole my pocket knife.What do you guys think I should do about this I have no idea of the officers name and have no paper work like a ticket or something beacause I didn't do anything wrong.I feel like I was harrassed and my property was stolen by someone I pay to uphold the law!!!!!

"W" 07-28-2011 03:41 AM

I would call ...they have it recorded when they stopped u..and can tell u what officer made the stop....get your knife back!!!!

evis102 07-28-2011 04:26 AM

I recommend to everyone to do your research and know your rights. That is the only way to not be bullied by law enforcement.

booyagasha 07-28-2011 05:28 AM

You have rights man..in the right or in the wrong,never ever consent to a search.

Dink 07-28-2011 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booyagasha (Post 295014)
You have rights man..in the right or in the wrong,never ever consent to a search.

Last time I was pulled over he asked to search my truck. I said no. He said "I think you have drugs n there" and called a k9 unit. Dog did a few laps around my truck and didn't signal so the handler put his hand near the glass on my door and snapped his fingers. Well, the dog stands up and touched the handlers fingers with his nose. Officer said "he's signalling on your door, I'm going in". Got me for open container. Was B.S. but didnt really have to time to fight it. That was 3yrs ago and I'm still dealing with it.........its been horrible!!

DONT DRINK AND DRIVE!!!!

IF THEY CAN SMELL IT ON YOUR BREATH, YOU ARE GOING TO JAIL WHETHER YOU PASS THE FIELD TEST OR NOT!!!!

longcast 07-28-2011 07:35 AM

The sheriif dept pulled my brother-on-law over about a year ago. Asked to search his vehicle and he said no. Got the dog out and it made it's rounds. No alert so the officer tool out a ball and bounced it of the door. Dog runs up and points. Officer says dog is hitting at the door and they begin to search. That is total bs. Had lcpd last week on 12 street pulling everyone over snd writing tickets. His car number was 40. Pulled at least 15 people over in about 4 hours. That's harassment not protect and serve. How does that guy sleep at night.

fishinpox 07-28-2011 07:40 AM

Man if the knife was just a knife I say leave it Alone, not telling u to be a punk but I had a problem b4 with a cop and reported him next thing u know if I blinked either him or one of his buddies was pulling me over

Finfeatherfur 07-28-2011 08:38 AM

As a former sheriff's deputy, I can say I have accidentally forgotten to give a driver's license back on numerous occasions. It is usually pretty comical, hauling buttt down the road to stop a driver you just wrote a ticket to. They usually go - "What now?" or, "did you forget to give me another ticket". I would, in my most polite voice, hang my head and say "sorry, I forgot to return your license". Most of the time they would laugh, sometimes they would curse me, but whatever.

Their is a good chance the guy just forgot to return it to you and since he did not write a ticket, he doesn't know who you are. Guys, I am not going into any debate again over drug searches, rights, and so on. I will tell you if you call the department, and ask to speak to the patrol supervisor, explain what happen, they will probably track down your knife and gladly return it to you. Things happen, I don't see what the big deal is about just picking up the phone and making a call. "Hey, I was checked at a DWI detail last night and the officer took my knife while they searched my truck". "Can I get it back please". It may have even been filmed which is what most departments do.

evidrine 07-28-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur (Post 295065)
As a former sheriff's deputy, I can say I have accidentally forgotten to give a driver's license back on numerous occasions. It is usually pretty comical, hauling buttt down the road to stop a driver you just wrote a ticket to. They usually go - "What now?" or, "did you forget to give me another ticket". I would, in my most polite voice, hang my head and say "sorry, I forgot to return your license". Most of the time they would laugh, sometimes they would curse me, but whatever.

Their is a good chance the guy just forgot to return it to you and since he did not write a ticket, he doesn't know who you are. Guys, I am not going into any debate again over drug searches, rights, and so on. I will tell you if you call the department, and ask to speak to the patrol supervisor, explain what happen, they will probably track down your knife and gladly return it to you. Things happen, I don't see what the big deal is about just picking up the phone and making a call. "Hey, I was checked at a DWI detail last night and the officer took my knife while they searched my truck". "Can I get it back please". It may have even been filmed which is what most departments do.

2nd that!

Finfeatherfur 07-28-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corkyfatboy (Post 295080)
Sounds like the typical, harassing, crooked Louisiana smokey... Try driving around with Texas plates - it's even worse!


Yep, that's all they have to do!!!!!! Pick on people w/ Texas plates. No crime fighting, no answering 911 calls, no responding to traffic accidents, just look for vehicles with Texas plates.

Finfeatherfur 07-28-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booyagasha (Post 295014)
You have rights man..in the right or in the wrong,never ever consent to a search.

Spoken like a true immature male that thinks he knows the law!!!:*****:

DUCKGOGETTER 07-28-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finfeatherfur (Post 295065)
as a former sheriff's deputy, i can say i have accidentally forgotten to give a driver's license back on numerous occasions. It is usually pretty comical, hauling buttt down the road to stop a driver you just wrote a ticket to. They usually go - "what now?" or, "did you forget to give me another ticket". I would, in my most polite voice, hang my head and say "sorry, i forgot to return your license". Most of the time they would laugh, sometimes they would curse me, but whatever.

Their is a good chance the guy just forgot to return it to you and since he did not write a ticket, he doesn't know who you are. Guys, i am not going into any debate again over drug searches, rights, and so on. I will tell you if you call the department, and ask to speak to the patrol supervisor, explain what happen, they will probably track down your knife and gladly return it to you. Things happen, i don't see what the big deal is about just picking up the phone and making a call. "hey, i was checked at a dwi detail last night and the officer took my knife while they searched my truck". "can i get it back please". It may have even been filmed which is what most departments do.


great reply all it takes is a simple call

LaAngler 07-28-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur (Post 295095)
Spoken like a true immature male that thinks he knows the law!!!:*****:

What if I don't want a complete stranger rifling through my vehicle? They may also scatter or lose my belongings, not to mention the fact that they can even go to pulling dash/door panels, ceiling liner, fuel tank, and so on. If it’s an aircraft they can completely disassemble it and choose not to reassemble. What if it’s a crooked cop with a reason to plant false evidence? There are plenty of reasons to refuse a search, even with nothing to hide.

Marshrat 07-28-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corkyfatboy (Post 295080)
Sounds like the typical, harassing, crooked Louisiana smokey... Try driving around with Texas plates - it's even worse!


I drive all over for my job and my company truck has Texas plates and have yet to get stopped. I guess the reason is that I obey the laws to the best of my ability. Maybe you should try it.



Warren

Raymond 07-28-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaAngler (Post 295120)
What if I don't want a complete stranger rifling through my vehicle? They may also scatter or lose my belongings, not to mention the fact that they can even go to pulling dash/door panels, ceiling liner, fuel tank, and so on. If it’s an aircraft they can completely disassemble it and choose not to reassemble. What if it’s a crooked cop with a reason to plant false evidence? There are plenty of reasons to refuse a search, even with nothing to hide.

Bruce, I have only knowledge of this happening one time and it was at Brownsville Tx airport back in the 70's. The pilot copped an attitude with customs flying back into the states and they called his hand. The breakdown of society started with a lack of respect for authority which began with the Peace movement of the 60's. Last time I checked, the right to drive was not in the Constitution. It is a priviledge guarded by law enforcement. Give respect get respect, it is and has always been a two way street but act like a turd and the LEO's will respond accordingly.

Finfeatherfur 07-28-2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaAngler (Post 295120)
What if I don't want a complete stranger rifling through my vehicle? They may also scatter or lose my belongings, not to mention the fact that they can even go to pulling dash/door panels, ceiling liner, fuel tank, and so on. If it’s an aircraft they can completely disassemble it and choose not to reassemble. What if it’s a crooked cop with a reason to plant false evidence? There are plenty of reasons to refuse a search, even with nothing to hide.

Grasping at straws!!!!! If I smelled Maryjane, and they refused a search, I got the dog out. If the dog alerted, I searched until I found it - plain and simple! It may have only been a roach in the ashtray, or a couple of pieces that fell on the floor while he rolled his last joint from a nickle bag. If that was the case, that car got taken apart! Dashboard, headliner, door panels, hell- I even got a socket set out and took out the seats of a Camaro once over some "residue"!!! When I was finished, I laughed, wrote him a simple possesion ticket and left him on the side of the road. I told him next time he refused a search, over a simple possesion charge he may want to rethink his "jailhouse lawyer" thinking! If he would have come clean and said "hey, I got a doobie in my cigarettes, he had a ticket and was on his way. I worked interstate patrol and was looking for large amounts of drugs, cash, stolen cars and fugitives. If he wanted to waste my time over something as small as that, I was going to waste his. If I would not have wrote him the ticket, I could have been charged with damages to his vehicle. Since I found the residue, tested positive for THC, and it was filmed - he got to drive off and go fix his car, then come to court and see the judge.

Guys, you will not win when you go to battle w/ the law. No matter how you slice it, you will lose! Get that in your head. Even if you are clean, and refuse a search, you can be on the side of the road for a very long time. I had the right to let the driver leave the scene, but that vehicle has no rights and was staying right there! Do you know how long it takes to get a search warrant on a weekend, and at night! Those judges are hard to track down sometimes, and they will issue a search warrant - EVERYTIME! But, we have to find them. If the judge is at his camp, or out to supper with his wife, or visiting his grandkids, your vehicle is stuck on the side of the road until it is done. I use to always get the runaround from people just like you guys here saying, "I don't have anything, but your not searching". Well, you may be right about not having anything, but if my dog told me it was there, than that car was staying right there until I let you go or made an arrest. Call me a douche, call me a Ahole, but at the end of the day it was my job that supported my family and I was paid to find dope.

Hah! Just remembered a guy that was DWI and I was being called to assist Jeff Davis with a search when they need a dog on I-10. I opened the guys trunk, threw his keys in, and closed it. Figured by the time he got them out he would be sober! They have ways of getting justice without the court, and sometimes it's a lot better than the court justice anyway!

Have a nice day and remember to support your local law enforcement!:)

Finfeatherfur 07-28-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corkyfatboy (Post 295128)
Great post Bruce! Afterall, Louisiana's per capita rate of crooked cops is very well known, only way my vehicle is getting searched is incident to arrest...

Wanna bet!:*****::*****:

gonzalesdave 07-28-2011 10:01 AM

This thread is sweet! Only thing missing is IRONMAN.

Finfeatherfur 07-28-2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzalesdave (Post 295151)
This thread is sweet! Only thing missing is IRONMAN.

Dude, I just spit diet coke everywhere!!!! Too funny!

all star rod 07-28-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur (Post 295145)
Grasping at straws!!!!! If I smelled Maryjane, and they refused a search, I got the dog out. If the dog alerted, I searched until I found it - plain and simple! It may have only been a roach in the ashtray, or a couple of pieces that fell on the floor while he rolled his last joint from a nickle bag. If that was the case, that car got taken apart! Dashboard, headliner, door panels, hell- I even got a socket set out and took out the seats of a Camaro once over some "residue"!!! When I was finished, I laughed, wrote him a simple possesion ticket and left him on the side of the road. I told him next time he refused a search, over a simple possesion charge he may want to rethink his "jailhouse lawyer" thinking! If he would have come clean and said "hey, I got a doobie in my cigarettes, he had a ticket and was on his way. I worked interstate patrol and was looking for large amounts of drugs, cash, stolen cars and fugitives. If he wanted to waste my time over something as small as that, I was going to waste his. If I would not have wrote him the ticket, I could have been charged with damages to his vehicle. Since I found the residue, tested positive for THC, and it was filmed - he got to drive off and go fix his car, then come to court and see the judge.

Guys, you will not win when you go to battle w/ the law. No matter how you slice it, you will lose! Get that in your head. Even if you are clean, and refuse a search, you can be on the side of the road for a very long time. I had the right to let the driver leave the scene, but that vehicle has no rights and was staying right there! Do you know how long it takes to get a search warrant on a weekend, and at night! Those judges are hard to track down sometimes, and they will issue a search warrant - EVERYTIME! But, we have to find them. If the judge is at his camp, or out to supper with his wife, or visiting his grandkids, your vehicle is stuck on the side of the road until it is done. I use to always get the runaround from people just like you guys here saying, "I don't have anything, but your not searching". Well, you may be right about not having anything, but if my dog told me it was there, than that car was staying right there until I let you go or made an arrest. Call me a douche, call me a Ahole, but at the end of the day it was my job that supported my family and I was paid to find dope.

Hah! Just remembered a guy that was DWI and I was being called to assist Jeff Davis with a search when they need a dog on I-10. I opened the guys trunk, threw his keys in, and closed it. Figured by the time he got them out he would be sober! They have ways of getting justice without the court, and sometimes it's a lot better than the court justice anyway!

Have a nice day and remember to support your local law enforcement!:)

One of my older brothers is a Alexandria City cop. Trust me, what FIN is saying is 100% correct. The harder you make it on the cops they will make it 1,000X harder on you!

Finfeatherfur 07-28-2011 10:06 AM

And on a serious note!!!! - Maryjane is no longer the problem..........you guys better watch out for ICE. It's bad, and gonna get worse. Our kids will be affected by this crap, in one form or another.

wtretrievers 07-28-2011 10:12 AM

How many people do you know have gotten out of a ticket in Cameron Parish? I was stopped on hwy 27 south of Hackberry, I was speeding 15 mph over, I was polite & so was the cop, took my license called it in & came back & said thank you & please slow down, he said let me go because I was polite, yes sir & no sir go a long way!

Finfeatherfur 07-28-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corkyfatboy (Post 295157)
Thank god you're a FORMER LEO, it these kind of ******* moves that gives all LEO's a bad name. Hopefully you got your "complex" figured out and you don't abuse your authority anymore.

yep, I all fixed........but I trained alot of young ones to insure that they did the job right for people like you!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!! Happy travels!!!!!!!:)

LaAngler 07-28-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur (Post 295154)
And on a serious note!!!!

I guess I should save my "LEO = Anti-freedom/MJ is harmless" spiel for next months cop bashing thread :rotfl:

Hopedale Hustler 07-28-2011 10:23 AM

i can tell you right now im never gonna give a cop consent to search my vehicle..no matter what...my daddy raised me to respect the police but only give them so much power...they gonna have to get a warrant or a dog to try to get a reason to search my truck...im no criminal...and i wont be treated like one..im law abiding for when it comes to most all things and refuse to let a cop search my vehicle without cause...in fact if i was at that checkpoint i wouldnt have got out my truck i woulda just said you have no reason to search my vehicle you can shine in here with your lights all youd like and if you want to take this further you may contact my lawyer...i respect cops and know some and they do do a great job but alot of them do believe themselves to be higher than the rest of society and can do what they want....like when im driving down the interstate and everybody in front of me starts slamming on breaks cause theres a state boy getting on the interstate doing 65...well thats awsome if they want to get on there knees but i drive 75 on the interstate and never been stopped for doing 75...so im not gonna slam on my breaks and do 65 for this guy...ima go pass him and if hes a sensible human being he will know that hes going a lil slower and no wrong doing is taking place...

ckinchen 07-28-2011 10:27 AM

This one is getting a beat heated and very close to be moved over to premium. Just an FYI.

joshdomingue 07-28-2011 10:41 AM

I say treat others they way you want to be treated..... that being said ...... if you are a cop and on your off days you drink a few at a buddy's house then drive home..... don't bring the next guy to jail for it.........

Frank Buck 07-28-2011 10:42 AM

I wish I had a nickel for everytime I have heard this same crap....Over and over again....Like FFF, I did my time on the road as well and I can tell you....If the officer has a reason that he wants to search your vehicle....IT WILL HAPPEN....You will consent OR the dog will be brought in OR a warrant will be cut....If you buck, you will find out exactly what is going to happen....You don't control what is going on out there, he does....You can argue about dirty cops...there are those and dirty politicians and people who work at McDonalds....It doesn't mean they all are...ANYONE HERE CAN SEARCH MY VEHICLE ANYTIME THEY WANT! Know why? I don't drink and drive because I have put too many people in body bags and I don't do drugs or have drugs....So therefor, I could care less if a man wants to stop me and search my vehicle. Is it inconvenient? YES Am I traumatized by the experience? NO Do I suffer personal loss due to it? NO The way I look at it is this....Me getting stopped and searched for whatever reason, makes me a little more confident that someone is trying to make a difference and hinder the fesces missle that may kill or mame my wife and kids on the road because of their own personal choice to use intoxicants and drive a vehicle...PERIOD...Its a little collateral damage that I suffered for the greater scheme of things....

Shawn Braquet 07-28-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshdomingue (Post 295182)
I say treat others they way you want to be treated..... that being said ...... if you are a cop and on your off days you drink a few at a buddy's house then drive home..... don't bring the next guy to jail for it.........

I was at a buddies house a while back(volunteer CPSO) and he had 4 fulltime officer buddies there. Every one of them drank a 6 pack or better than got in there vehicles and drove their families home instead of letting their sober wives drive. When I questioned them they had no delay saying that they could easily get that taken care of. Just curious if that would have included a wreck causing injury as well on top of a DWI. I'm all about respecting law enforcement as I do not want to be "haggled" with anymore than they fill necessary, but can also see where a few "crooked" officers can give a lot of good officers a bad name. I am personally thankful for our areas law enforcement as they truthfully saved my wife and I's life as most of you know. If not for them my 22 month old son would have lost both his parents at 3 months old. Thats my .02 on this subject.

Frank Buck 07-28-2011 10:48 AM

and on the Texas plates in Louisiana....I have been on that side of things as well....But, I chose to speed, so i got a ticket....Most law enforcement agencies, when doing criminal patrol have been trained to spot certain things....Doesn't mean a law is being broken, just that you should pay more attention to this or that...and guess what, that is one....No officer that I have ever worked with has ever said, "look, that's an out of state plate, lets go write him a fist full of tickets" It don't work that way...Never has...
However I must issue my disclaimer: There are some bad cops out there....but most of them definately wouldn't be dirty by writing out of state tickets to get his kicks...

Armand16 07-28-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Buck (Post 295184)
Its a little collateral damage that I suffered for the greater scheme of things....


well said and nice pernt

Frank Buck 07-28-2011 10:52 AM

Who opened this thread anyways....I would have lost less time buying this cat another knife....I just can't help myself sometimes....In response to your initial topic, a simple phone call would likely remedy the problem....My wife has washed a few peoples drivers licenses in my top shirt pocket FFF....At least you realized you had thier license, I didn't!

Ray 07-28-2011 10:55 AM

There should be no reason to search a vehicle at a DWI check point.

In my opinion, it is unprofessional to not return anything to an innocent driver after a search. The officer shouldn't have put the knife in his pocket. I have been searched in Kenner at 3:30 am, just cause they thought I was drinking, but I was on my way to work in Venice. The officer asked if I was drinking, I said no. He asked if I had weapons on me and I said a pocket knife. He asked which pocket, I told him, he took it out and put it on the hood of the truck. After realizing I was not drinking, he returned the knife and I asked why he stopped me. He said I was weaving all over the interstate. I mentioned that I was not, I made sure I was folllowing the speed limit and driving as well as I could, after seeing a state police car coming on the interstate. He bowed up and said I was weaving, I said O.K., didn't want a ticket and didn't want to get arrested. They can stop you for what they want. You have no choice but to stop and comply with *** they want. But they are professionals, they get paid to do what they do. If they take your knife, they should return it. Do you think it is O.K. for a doctor to leave any medical tools in you after surgery???
Paid professionals should do their job correctly.

Ray 07-28-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wtretrievers (Post 295158)
How many people do you know have gotten out of a ticket in Cameron Parish? I was stopped on hwy 27 south of Hackberry, I was speeding 15 mph over, I was polite & so was the cop, took my license called it in & came back & said thank you & please slow down, he said let me go because I was polite, yes sir & no sir go a long way!


Me. I have been pulled over several times and pulled away with no ticket.
The few times I got a ticket, I talked to the Sheriff and it was torn up.
If you get a ticket in any parish, just talk to the DA's office, they will work a deal with you. You might pay court cost, but you don't have to have it go in your record. Just be nice.

LaAngler 07-28-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 295205)
Me. I have been pulled over several times and pulled away with no ticket.

x 2 catch more flies with honey

i had one chase me (literally) in my vette years ago. he just bs'd about the car, laughed, and then cruised down the road

Frank Buck 07-28-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopedale Hustler (Post 295193)
im not disrespecting you ex law officials..just saying some of yall are dirty ex high school nerds who never gotso yall decided to get power by becomeing a law officer...

really FFF and Frank no disrespect im just telling yall like it is...my next door neighbor is a state boy and hes a great guy and he tells me the same thing i just stated...

Hustler, I am sorry for your friends situation and if it happened the way you say it did, then it is wrong...Period...and the civil process with rectify the situation. There are always two sides to a story then the truth somewhere in the middle.

As far as your quoted comment, allow me to retort....I was not a nerd in school, in fact, I was a little bad azz that knew everything about everything...knew my roadside rights to search and seizure and even told a few cops what was going and not going to happen....THEN, I GREW UP! and like FFF I wanted to do something that made me feel good about making positive changes....THEN....Life showed me that when you are in law enforcement or any other public service...You are damned if you do and damned if you don't....and you starve like a church mouse because of what they pay....So I left that....but what never left me was the respect for them...knowing what they have to deal with day in and day out and work thier guts out just to make ends meet....and are rarely received well by society....Because most people think just like what is on this board...This happened to me so I hate them all...they are ALL crooked....That is why...But no, I didn't take it as disrespect, just fun conversation.

Hopedale Hustler 07-28-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Buck (Post 295213)
Hustler, I am sorry for your friends situation and if it happened the way you say it did, then it is wrong...Period...and the civil process with rectify the situation. There are always two sides to a story then the truth somewhere in the middle.

As far as your quoted comment, allow me to retort....I was not a nerd in school, in fact, I was a little bad azz that knew everything about everything...knew my roadside rights to search and seizure and even told a few cops what was going and not going to happen....THEN, I GREW UP! and like FFF I wanted to do something that made me feel good about making positive changes....THEN....Life showed me that when you are in law enforcement or any other public service...You are damned if you do and damned if you don't....and you starve like a church mouse because of what they pay....So I left that....but what never left me was the respect for them...knowing what they have to deal with day in and day out and work thier guts out just to make ends meet....and are rarely received well by society....Because most people think just like what is on this board...This happened to me so I hate them all...they are ALL crooked....That is why...But no, I didn't take it as disrespect, just fun conversation.


you and FFF are obviously the good eggs in the bunch...i only said some of yall were brotha...no doubt yall two are great guys...and thanks for yalls time as officers..i honestly would be a cop but the pay just dont cut it from what i understand...

Slidellkid 07-28-2011 11:30 AM

A search cannot be conducted without consent or probable cause, or in some cases a search of the immediate area to look for weapons that could be used against an officer. Refusal to give consent does not create probable cause. That does not mean an officer can't call in and request a dog to sniff your vehicle. A sniffing drug dog is not considered a search. Once the dog alerts, probable cause is then established. It is perfectly acceptable to not consent to a search, but you run the risk of having the officer call a dog team and have you sitting on the side of the road for some time.

The same goes for your house, if an officer wants to search he needs probable cause or your consent unless he is in the process of apprehending you and you run into the house. There is also an expection to the search of the home rule when officers are aware a dangerous crime is being committed that puts someone life in danger.

Ray 07-28-2011 11:33 AM

Worst thing to do is "NOT" give them consent.

joshdomingue 07-28-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet;295189[COLOR=red
]I was at a buddies house a while back(volunteer CPSO) and he had 4 fulltime officer buddies there. Every one of them drank a 6 pack or better than got in there vehicles and drove their families home instead of letting their sober wives drive. When I questioned them they had no delay saying that they could easily get that taken care of.[/COLOR] Just curious if that would have included a wreck causing injury as well on top of a DWI. I'm all about respecting law enforcement as I do not want to be "haggled" with anymore than they fill necessary, but can also see where a few "crooked" officers can give a lot of good officers a bad name. I am personally thankful for our areas law enforcement as they truthfully saved my wife and I's life as most of you know. If not for them my 22 month old son would have lost both his parents at 3 months old. Thats my .02 on this subject.

Exactly what i'm talking about, but it was me or you = going to jail.

Jordan 07-28-2011 11:56 AM

Me and a buddy (current cop) were pulled over a while back (few months ago) going to lake charles to fish with Jacon (longcast). This happened right outside of DeRidder. I always carry and so does Josh. I was in right hand lane doing 56 in a 55. Cop right beside me in my "blind spot". I needed to get in the left hand lane to go to a gas station or something. When I sped up to get in the left hand lane, he matched me. I tryed the slow down approach and he matched me again. I slowed all the way down to 42 in a 55 and he slammed on his brakes and pulled behind me to where I couldnt see his headlights. I thought it was some punk and I pulled a punk move myself by "washing his windwhield" with my windshield washer fluid to get him off of me. He hit the blues and pulled me over. He approached my window and before he even introduced himself, I told him that there were 2 pistols in holsters under the flip-up center console. He asked to see them and I took my index finger and lifted the console. He asked my buddy Josh which department he worked for (after Josh told him he was a cop) and Josh told him. He then told me that he pulled me over because I was riding left of center (white line). He asked me where we were going, and I told him fishing in Calcasieu lake. He said, catch enough for everyone and be safe and have a good day. He even thanked me for letting him know I had weapons int he truck. He seemed kind of "scared or shy" after i told him. I used yes sir and no sir and thank you, and I got a warning. I got the officers name and badge # and called the BPSO and let them know that he was very professional and treated me with respect.

southern151 07-28-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 295253)
Me and a buddy (current cop) were pulled over a while back (few months ago) going to lake charles to fish with Jacon (longcast). This happened right outside of DeRidder. I always carry and so does Josh. I was in right hand lane doing 56 in a 55. Cop right beside me in my "blind spot". I needed to get in the left hand lane to go to a gas station or something. When I sped up to get in the left hand lane, he matched me. I tryed the slow down approach and he matched me again. I slowed all the way down to 42 in a 55 and he slammed on his brakes and pulled behind me to where I couldnt see his headlights. I thought it was some punk and I pulled a punk move myself by "washing his windwhield" with my windshield washer fluid to get him off of me. He hit the blues and pulled me over. He approached my window and before he even introduced himself, I told him that there were 2 pistols in holsters under the flip-up center console. He asked to see them and I took my index finger and lifted the console. He asked my buddy Josh which department he worked for (after Josh told him he was a cop) and Josh told him. He then told me that he pulled me over because I was riding left of center (white line). He asked me where we were going, and I told him fishing in Calcasieu lake. He said, catch enough for everyone and be safe and have a good day. He even thanked me for letting him know I had weapons int he truck. He seemed kind of "scared or shy" after i told him. I used yes sir and no sir and thank you, and I got a warning. I got the officers name and badge # and called the BPSO and let them know that he was very professional and treated me with respect.

Pics or it didn't happen!:work:

BIRD DOG 07-28-2011 12:02 PM

I didnt have time to read all 3 pages of comments on this but I did read the first one so Im gonna add my 2cents and this is coming from someone who DOES fight the law and WINS!!(I even had one terminated from the sheriffs dept) Just b/c they have a badge it doesnt give them the right to not respect your rights,but if you dont know your rights they will walk all over you!
First of all you do not have to allow them to search your vehicle!They will tell you that they can search anything within arms reach blah blah blah!IF your vehicle is open and they find something within "arms reach" it can be used in court and not thrown out b/c the vehicles door was open.The best thing you can do when they ask you to step out is to lock the door behind you!!If there is no probable cause then they have no right!Probable cause does no mean b/c he has a suspision!As far as weapons are concerned as long as you are not a felon you can have any kind of gun you would like in your vehicle and no it does not have to be in plain sight! Your vehicle is an extension of your home.
When I was younger some of these local cops thought they could harass me b/c I was always out at all hours of the night.(froggin,runnin trot lines,etc.)I have never done drugs but yet they felt like they could stop me and just search whenever they wanted.After the second time I got tired of it and learned my rights and have not had a problem since! When I was 18 I had one ask why I needed a gun in my truck.Then he proceeded to make up some bs about it not bein legal to ride around with a pistol.I guess sometimes some rookie cops may not know any better but I believe that they try and spill this crap on people who are just to dumb to know or find out the truth!!
Now I walk around and open carry and the same cops who tried to tell me I couldnt stay clear of me.Some of you will ask why I do it and its really simple...b/c ITS MY RIGHT and a right not excercised it a right lost!!
As far as the cop "stealing your knife",I think he just forgot to give it back.Contact them and Im sure you will get it.I had one forget to give my license back and I saw him in Academy the next day,he was extremely corteous and sorry and told me to follow him out to his car to get it.

Lake Chuck Duck 07-28-2011 12:04 PM

Just like a breathalizer, either way you goin to jail. Blow above go to jail. Dont blow still go to jail. Even if you are fine and you pass field sobriety test, blow over go to jail.

jpeff31787 07-28-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur (Post 295145)
Grasping at straws!!!!! If I smelled Maryjane, and they refused a search, I got the dog out. If the dog alerted, I searched until I found it - plain and simple! It may have only been a roach in the ashtray, or a couple of pieces that fell on the floor while he rolled his last joint from a nickle bag. If that was the case, that car got taken apart! Dashboard, headliner, door panels, hell- I even got a socket set out and took out the seats of a Camaro once over some "residue"!!! When I was finished, I laughed, wrote him a simple possesion ticket and left him on the side of the road. I told him next time he refused a search, over a simple possesion charge he may want to rethink his "jailhouse lawyer" thinking! If he would have come clean and said "hey, I got a doobie in my cigarettes, he had a ticket and was on his way. I worked interstate patrol and was looking for large amounts of drugs, cash, stolen cars and fugitives. If he wanted to waste my time over something as small as that, I was going to waste his. If I would not have wrote him the ticket, I could have been charged with damages to his vehicle. Since I found the residue, tested positive for THC, and it was filmed - he got to drive off and go fix his car, then come to court and see the judge.

Guys, you will not win when you go to battle w/ the law. No matter how you slice it, you will lose! Get that in your head. Even if you are clean, and refuse a search, you can be on the side of the road for a very long time. I had the right to let the driver leave the scene, but that vehicle has no rights and was staying right there! Do you know how long it takes to get a search warrant on a weekend, and at night! Those judges are hard to track down sometimes, and they will issue a search warrant - EVERYTIME! But, we have to find them. If the judge is at his camp, or out to supper with his wife, or visiting his grandkids, your vehicle is stuck on the side of the road until it is done. I use to always get the runaround from people just like you guys here saying, "I don't have anything, but your not searching". Well, you may be right about not having anything, but if my dog told me it was there, than that car was staying right there until I let you go or made an arrest. Call me a douche, call me a Ahole, but at the end of the day it was my job that supported my family and I was paid to find dope.

Hah! Just remembered a guy that was DWI and I was being called to assist Jeff Davis with a search when they need a dog on I-10. I opened the guys trunk, threw his keys in, and closed it. Figured by the time he got them out he would be sober! They have ways of getting justice without the court, and sometimes it's a lot better than the court justice anyway!

Have a nice day and remember to support your local law enforcement!:)


Ok so I don't drink/smoke and if some cop would ask to search my car and I say no, but he does it anyway and he doesn't find anything. I can laugh at him while he has to pay to fix up my disassembled car? Completely worth it if you ask me. And you proved that cops are Aholes, maybe not you, but you definitely made all other cops look that way lol

On a side note thanks for the advice ;)

Jordan 07-28-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern151 (Post 295257)
Pics or it didn't happen!:work:


pics of what ??

BIRD DOG 07-28-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpeff31787 (Post 295260)
Ok so I don't drink/smoke and if some cop would ask to search my car and I say no, but he does it anyway and he doesn't find anything. I can laugh at him while he has to pay to fix up my disassembled car? Completely worth it if you ask me. And you proved that cops are Aholes, maybe not you, but you definitely made all other cops look that way lol

On a side note thanks for the advice ;)


I hope you dont really think they will have to fix your car...:shaking:

BIRD DOG 07-28-2011 12:22 PM

Somebody else stated that they let them search thier car b/c they have nothing to hide and they want that stuff off the street so they dont hurt anyone.
If someone is completely sober I would say thats obvious right?and if someone is drunk or high thats pretty obvious too right? so if somebodys sober they should be harassed?I agree that is your drunk or high then they SHOULD search your car even if you decline but If your sober and theres no probable cause they need to move on!

BIRD DOG 07-28-2011 12:25 PM

and just for the record I dont hate cops or think they are all crooked,I actually have some good friends who are cops and they agree with everything Im saying. A cops job is to protect and serve,not harass! They are public servants paid by the people .

evidrine 07-28-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshdomingue (Post 295182)
I say treat others they way you want to be treated..... that being said ...... if you are a cop and on your off days you drink a few at a buddy's house then drive home..... don't bring the next guy to jail for it.........

Amen!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted