SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Trading Floor (Investing, Stocks, Bonds) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Out of the Market? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21662)

ckinchen 08-04-2011 12:46 PM

Out of the Market?
 
How many of you got out early last week before what has been 10 out of 11 days of pain?

I got into bonds in one of my accounts and out of equities, and into a gold ETF in another account last Tuesday.

I know, W's buying right now and will make a fortune later, I get it. Buy low sell high, I get that as well. Just a general question.

I am in the process of buying two foreclosed homes that I plan to rent here in the Spring/Houston market. Earning a 6-8% return is the play I am making at this juncture.

I plan to get back in equities, just not right now. Economic news the past two weeks has been horrible.

PaulMyers 08-04-2011 12:55 PM

I moved my 401k into fixed income about 3 weeks ago. I'm now getting ready to put it back in play, probably sometime next week it looks like.

jchief 08-04-2011 01:09 PM

I don't have enought investments to worry about, unfortuately

cmdrost 08-04-2011 01:41 PM

holding tight. BUT it is gonna be a bumpy ride.

Most people don't fathom the billions of dollars than flow in & out of the market on a daily basis, and the fact with SO much more money going in & out, than even 10 years ago, that it will create much higher volitility. Just a sign of the times.

Case in point. Around this same time last year we experienced a sell off of -16% peak to trough and the market finished out 2010 up +15%.

With today's actions, we are at about -10% from peak to today.

Zachary Boy 08-04-2011 01:53 PM

Held like a dumb arse. Looking for a bottom...-350 and counting

yak'em-n-stack'em 08-04-2011 02:03 PM

What stocks you guys looking to buy in the next month. I'm gonna pull some savings and buy


---
I am here:

simplepeddler 08-04-2011 03:12 PM

Considering that many are not moving and pulling out to liquidity (taking profits) could this be considered part of a conspiracy to get folks to take gains and pay taxes on them??

Just my mind wondering.

I am standing pat, was pretty conservative any way.
I have stopped funding my 401K past matching by the company and putting that towards a rental condo in Orange Beach that we picked up considerably lower than appraisal. I am confident it will cash flow and grow in value over the next five years.

Shawn Braquet 08-04-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplepeddler (Post 299966)
Considering that many are not moving and pulling out to liquidity (taking profits) could this be considered part of a conspiracy to get folks to take gains and pay taxes on them??

Just my mind wondering.

I am standing pat, was pretty conservative any way.
I have stopped funding my 401K past matching by the company and putting that towards a rental condo in Orange Beach that we picked up considerably lower than appraisal. I am confident it will cash flow and grow in value over the next five years.

My grandmaw has a beach condo in Gulf Shores, she bought it 15 years ago or so now appraises for 10x what she paid for it. Thats not counting what she rents it out to friends for (which is half of what you pay through the condo itself so it's a win win for her friends and her)

simplepeddler 08-04-2011 03:25 PM

AND I get to look at scatily glad wimmins at the pool for the mullet toss off my OWN balcony..........how cool is that.

Shawn Braquet 08-04-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplepeddler (Post 299978)
AND I get to look at scatily glad wimmins at the pool for the mullet toss off my OWN balcony..........how cool is that.

It's definitely a plus, have yet to make it to the mullet toss. I always go the week of or before Memorial Day.

"W" 08-04-2011 03:46 PM

Well... I did two things... I sold off a bunch of profit stocks that some I was up 200% to 88%...then I got out of most stocks that move with Obama....then today.. My broker bought into some stocks that are faring good...ill have more info today.... But all in all... I haven't lost a dime....I'm actually made good...

ckinchen 08-04-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 299998)
Well... I did two things... I sold off a bunch of profit stocks that some I was up 200% to 88%...then I got out of most stocks that move with Obama....then today.. My broker bought into some stocks that are faring good...ill have more info today.... But all in all... I haven't lost a dime....I'm actually made good...

I knew you would, why did I waste 5 years of my life in college and another year studying for the CPA exam. All I ever really need to do was meet you and I would have been rich. ;)

ckinchen 08-04-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplepeddler (Post 299966)
Considering that many are not moving and pulling out to liquidity (taking profits) could this be considered part of a conspiracy to get folks to take gains and pay taxes on them??

Just my mind wondering.

I am standing pat, was pretty conservative any way.
I have stopped funding my 401K past matching by the company and putting that towards a rental condo in Orange Beach that we picked up considerably lower than appraisal. I am confident it will cash flow and grow in value over the next five years.

I like that play, I'm long real estate investing right now at least as it relates to income producing properties purchased subsequent to the subprime bubble.

Dink 08-04-2011 03:54 PM

I sold out on the day of the "sell off?" Thread. Ill buy full force on the day after the market makes its first + gain.

Dink 08-04-2011 03:56 PM

I think ill do better than the tax hit I took

eman 08-04-2011 04:00 PM

Only stocks i still own were left to me and are a BIG pain inthe butt to sell.
went into gold about 5 years ago.

"W" 08-04-2011 04:07 PM

Here is how I look at something... Right now I'm in a oil stock and it hangs around 14-18dollars....52weeks...yesterday..fell to 10 52 low..... Guess what...boom..all in..why...because I don't care how much lower it goes....it will be back at 14-18 in a few months....pow pow

"W" 08-04-2011 04:11 PM

And let a hurricane hit....ill be all up in home depot and lowes

ckinchen 08-04-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 300019)
Here is how I look at something... Right now I'm in a oil stock and it hangs around 14-18dollars....52weeks...yesterday..fell to 10 52 low..... Guess what...boom..all in..why...because I don't care how much lower it goes....it will be back at 14-18 in a few months....pow pow

I did keep one mid cap oil company that has performed well. I do not trust where our economy is headed so I'm out of everything else for now. Gold, bonds, MMKT and income producing real estate bought out of foreclosure is where I am at.

"W" 08-04-2011 04:39 PM

Yall keep buying that Gold..... I buy brass in my favorite rounds!!! That gold is going fall like Obamas in a redneck. Pig roast

ckinchen 08-04-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 300043)
Yall keep buying that Gold..... I buy brass in my favorite rounds!!! That gold is going fall like Obamas in a redneck. Pig roast

Gold is a staple in any balance portfolio, if your investment guy tells you otherwise, I question his abilities. No balance portfolio should EVER be in all equity positions investing 101.

"W" 08-04-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 300046)
Gold is a staple in any balance portfolio, if your investment guy tells you otherwise, I question his abilities. No balance portfolio should EVER be in all equity positions investing 101.


If you bought gold 5 years ago........Im not touching it at all......Its a snake...Im telling you........

ckinchen 08-04-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 300053)
If you bought gold 5 years ago........Im not touching it at all......Its a snake...Im telling you........

I'm not in 100% gold, but some is not a bad play. The value of the dollar long term is questionable at best right now.

fishinpox 08-04-2011 05:43 PM

Invest with me:) build a spec house in the highest appraisal neighborhood in Br. Excellent returns

ShadMan 08-04-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dink (Post 300008)
I sold out on the day of the "sell off?" Thread. Ill buy full force on the day after the market makes its first + gain.

Smart man! :cool: Personally, I'm not going to jump back in for a while, even if it starts trending upwards again. Several European countries are about to be in trouble, and it will affect our market as well. And we are about to go through all of this again when Congress faces another shutdown next month because they still have failed to draft a budget all year and the next deadline is looming. :rolleyes: I'll probably buy back in on November 5, 2012. :D :p

Y'all can read again what I said about fools in this thread. :D

http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/show...ighlight=fools

Anyone who heeded my "non-advice", you're welcome. :)

southern151 08-04-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 300072)
Invest with me:) build a spec house in the highest appraisal neighborhood in Br. Excellent returns

Hey man, get off my turf! They need to invest in a greater oppurtunity...MY collision center!:rotfl:

Man, all you guys talkin bout stocks and sell-offs has me a little jealous...Every dime I am making right now, that doesn't go into life functions, goes back to my business...I mean EVERY DIME!!! I hope to see a rising trend over the course of the next few years with my investment though! You can each help by wrecking a car and trusting my company to make the repairs! Cash donations also help!:rotfl:

In all sincerity, I hope we can bounce back from what is looming overhead. European markets are not faring well right now nor, is Asian markets(as of yesterday). Some of the smarter people I know speculate that the dance they have been doing in DC has much to do with other markets flattening out and even falling by multiple percents.

"W" 08-04-2011 06:07 PM

VXX
DPK

simplepeddler 08-04-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern151 (Post 300078)
Hey man, get off my turf! They need to invest in a greater oppurtunity...MY collision center!:rotfl:

Man, all you guys talkin bout stocks and sell-offs has me a little jealous...Every dime I am making right now, that doesn't go into life functions, goes back to my business...I mean EVERY DIME!!! I hope to see a rising trend over the course of the next few years with my investment though! You can each help by wrecking a car and trusting my company to make the repairs! Cash donations also help!:rotfl:

In all sincerity, I hope we can bounce back from what is looming overhead. European markets are not faring well right now nor, is Asian markets(as of yesterday). Some of the smarter people I know speculate that the dance they have been doing in DC has much to do with other markets flattening out and even falling by multiple percents.


You are right Corey, not much for us to complain about.
Investing in yourself right now is the best thing anyone can do.
Keep pushing dude! You are your best investment.

ckinchen 08-04-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplepeddler (Post 300086)
You are right Corey, not much for us to complain about.
Investing in yourself right now is the best thing anyone can do.
Keep pushing dude! You are your best investment.

Well said, I have seen it over and over again. One of my clients started a business with 2K 9 years ago that he sold a couple of years ago for 20 million dollars. Not bad my friend.

ShadMan 08-04-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 300084)
VXX DPK

I'm confused what you're trying to say. VXX is down 80% in 1-year and DPK is down 50%. :confused: Casey, I think your skills and mine are still in demand...W invests in stocks that crash way harder than the indices, but still gets rich. :D

ckinchen 08-04-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadMan (Post 300092)
I'm confused what you're trying to say. VXX is down 80% in 1-year and DPK is down 50%. :confused: Casey, I think your skills and mine are still in demand...W invests in stocks that crash way harder than the indices, but still gets rich. :D

No kidding, as an auditor I'm am trying to understand how he is making money without shorting these stocks but hey, maybe he is just that much smarter than us.

ShadMan 08-04-2011 06:32 PM

LOL...you said "short"ing. :D

"W" 08-04-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadMan (Post 300092)
I'm confused what you're trying to say. VXX is down 80% in 1-year and DPK is down 50%. :confused: Casey, I think your skills and mine are still in demand...W invests in stocks that crash way harder than the indices, but still gets rich. :D

both these stocks moved two days in a row.....I have been in them 3...told ya.. Stay away from Obama Stocks

Sold both with positive %%%%%%%

southern151 08-04-2011 07:41 PM

Thanks Chicken and Peddler for the kind and supportive words! It's tough to see the bottom line sometimes...Almost as tough as seeing a return on an investment. As a stock market uneducated man, it's hard to see if I'm doing right but, I feel like I am. Some say I should have stuck with welding... I did make a lot more money then but, with the way our area is growing, I see this industry doing great because growth will outrun infrastructure. I sure hope I'm right!

fishinpox 08-04-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern151 (Post 300078)
Hey man, get off my turf! They need to invest in a greater oppurtunity...MY collision center!:rotfl:

Man, all you guys talkin bout stocks and sell-offs has me a little jealous...Every dime I am making right now, that doesn't go into life functions, goes back to my business...I mean EVERY DIME!!! I hope to see a rising trend over the course of the next few years with my investment though! You can each help by wrecking a car and trusting my company to make the repairs! Cash donations also help!:rotfl:

In all sincerity, I hope we can bounce back from what is looming overhead. European markets are not faring well right now nor, is Asian markets(as of yesterday). Some of the smarter people I know speculate that the dance they have been doing in DC has much to do with other markets flattening out and even falling by multiple percents.

corey keep putting $ back in that business , all i did for a number of years was pump $ back in and work 50-60 hours/week. now its paying off for me. if you do honest work , dont get greedy, keep projects on time , and treat your customers like you would want someone to treat your grandmother you cant go wrong just stick with it your time is right around the corner dude . im busier now in a crappy building market than i was after katrina , people who would not give me the time of day during the boom are now beating down my door for us to do thier projects because of the good reputation ive build for the business.

simplepeddler 08-04-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 300199)
corey keep putting $ back in that business , all i did for a number of years was pump $ back in and work 50-60 hours/week. now its paying off for me. if you do honest work , dont get greedy, keep projects on time , and treat your customers like you would want someone to treat your grandmother you cant go wrong just stick with it your time is right around the corner dude . im busier now in a crappy building market than i was after katrina , people who would not give me the time of day during the boom are now beating down my door for us to do thier projects because of the good reputation ive build for the business.


Like to hear a good success story!

eman 08-04-2011 11:31 PM

I like gold and silver . If (when) the world or the USA crashes all them paper stocks you are holding will be good for wiping your butt.
Look at the rise in gold prices in the last 5 years? aint a stock that i know of that made that much profit. Just because the investment gurus won't tell you to invest in it don't put it down.
i am not talking futures (paper) ,but actual gold and silver bullion ,bars ,rounds or coins.

ShadMan 08-05-2011 06:58 AM

I know a ton of stocks that have made more than silver and gold by 10x-100x. Check out the recommendation I made a couple years ago in the thread I linked above. Any commodity is typically a risky investment and gold and silver are no different. I remember them regularly gaining and losing 50 percent in a short time span. However, if you got into either a couple years ago, your risk was worth it. Get in now and I'm not so sure. My USAA precious metals fund has done very well recently, but I bought it for diversification reasons.

"W" 08-05-2011 07:07 AM

Watch LNG today...if it drops in the 7,s...I will put All my holding cash into it.......and when the market levels off...ill sell at 10....

ckinchen 08-05-2011 08:25 AM

The jobs number looked good this morning, futures are up.

Dink 08-05-2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 300361)
The jobs number looked good this morning, futures are up.

Not sure I'm gonna listen to you.......only investment I've seen you make is buying this site......yeah, that was smart???? Hahahaha!!!

simplepeddler 08-05-2011 09:36 AM

The market will likely gain back 250-300 points today...........Just on 'W"'s buys alone..........

"W" 08-05-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplepeddler (Post 300407)
The market will likely gain back 250-300 points today...........Just on 'W"'s buys alone..........

ha..Funny...but i do day trade and invest aggressive and it has paid off 100 over..Here is my weeks % on Stock Trades only....

Mon 8/1/11 22.01% 22 Stocks

Tues 8/2/11 (-44.85%) 22 Stocks

Wed 8/3/11 12.11% rolled into 9 stocks

Thurs 8/4/11 14.89% 14 stocks

Fri 8/5/11 live time 12.25% 17 stocks

ShadMan 08-05-2011 11:08 AM

So you're bragging that you've lost money this week? I told you to get out of the market two weeks ago. :shaking:

Shawn Braquet 08-05-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadMan (Post 300484)
So you're bragging that you've lost money this week? I told you to get out of the market two weeks ago. :shaking:

my math shows a 16% gain as of the current time he posted, and a 4% gain as of yesterday closing, just saying

"W" 08-05-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadMan (Post 300484)
So you're bragging that you've lost money this week? I told you to get out of the market two weeks ago. :shaking:


Thats why your not a financial adviser any more...:rolleyes:

Do the math and @ 11:10 im up 14.99%

"W" 08-05-2011 11:20 AM

Here ya ago

KOG

Just brought....5.86.....watch ...

"W" 08-05-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "W" (Post 300493)
Here ya ago

KOG

Just brought....5.86.....watch ...



BOOM over $6 right now....:eek:

ShadMan 08-05-2011 11:51 AM

KOG is a good company and a good long-term investment. Be careful with trying to day-trade it, though. You can get burned easily due to the low number of outstanding shares. There's not always a buyer when you're looking to sell and vice-versa. ;)

"W" 08-05-2011 11:54 AM

I will sell KOG @ 6.25 with $7 fee and bank money ......


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted