SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Big thanks to salty shaw (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25403)

longcast 11-21-2011 10:22 AM

Big thanks to salty shaw
 
Well after fixing all the little things the Yamaha shop told to fix me and Mcjaredsandwich decided to hit the lake for a little wadding. We launched the boat and the motor was working great. We heade to the s side of west cove and when we arrived the motor just shut down. The motor will not start and I have changed fuel filter and the water seperator filter. It will start if I put it in neautral and give it gas. Once I put it back Ito gear it dies instantly. Well long story short we were stuck like chuck. Well after several phone calls mr shaw came to our rescue. He actualy missed a friends wedding to come get our butts. Kade we can't tell u thanks enough. You are the man. Shaw towed us to dugas landing to drop the boat and then gave us a ride to cal point to get my truck and trailer. After a long day we only ended up with 3 flounder. Boat will be going back to the shop and I have a few choice words for them. They charged me 100 bucks to not fix my boat. Motor is still under warranty so they will be fixing it. Any of you outboard guys have any thoughts on this. It's a 90 Yamaha four stroke. Thanks kade for saving us. I owe you big time.

jchief 11-21-2011 10:38 AM

Figured Kade was ok.

Good job Kade. LOL

alex.tallman 11-21-2011 11:02 AM

sounds like a fuel issue to me i of course dont like 4 stroke outboards. to many problems need a 2 stroke!

PaulMyers 11-21-2011 11:09 AM

My guess would be fuel pump or fuel filter.

EVO

longcast 11-21-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 352788)
My guess would be fuel pump or fuel filter.

EVO

I changed the fuel filter. I did a complete service. New everything. Lol. That's my luck. Short work week and no boat. Yeah I'm pissed.

PaulMyers 11-21-2011 11:15 AM

The fuel pump would not be something they would normally change unless it was bad. It's not a tune-up part.

EVO

Montauk17 11-21-2011 11:22 AM

Did you do a fuel sample to check for water in the gas? Just a heads up,if it is a fuel problem that is not covered under warranty. You need to drain the VST tank under the cowl,I can guide you through it on the phone.

longcast 11-21-2011 11:43 AM

I just got off the phone with my buddy that works at the Yamaha. He told me they were closed all week and might not be opening back up. I guess it's up to me and the sc crew to get me back on the water. Ryan I'm gonna call u after work. I'm gonna put some seafoam in the gas and see if that helps.

Montauk17 11-21-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longcast (Post 352804)
I just got off the phone with my buddy that works at the Yamaha. He told me they were closed all week and might not be opening back up. I guess it's up to me and the sc crew to get me back on the water. Ryan I'm gonna call u after work. I'm gonna put some seafoam in the gas and see if that helps.

If you have water in your tank seafoam won't help,gotta pump it out. Wish I lived closer to help you out.

longcast 11-21-2011 11:54 AM

So will I lose the 30 gallons of fuel I have in the boat.

Montauk17 11-21-2011 11:58 AM

Not usually,water is heavier than gas it will sit on the bottom. If you do have water in the tank you gotta pump it out till you start getting gas with no water in it. After that put a double dose of marine grade stabil in it.

Pole_benda 11-21-2011 12:34 PM

Montauk17 is right. I had the same issue last year, dumped out 40 gals of gas, and had to rebuild thecarbs. Ethanol sucks! After you got it dumped out, yamaha ring free and fuel stabilizer when you fill up is a must

alex.tallman 11-21-2011 03:28 PM

What grade of gas do you run in your boat?

longcast 11-21-2011 03:36 PM

I run reg in it from cormies or Jimbos. Suppose to be e free.

Armand16 11-21-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longcast (Post 352882)
I run reg in it from cormies or Jimbos. Suppose to be e free.


test it.. if its not, make em buy u a new motor

Montauk17 11-21-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armand16 (Post 352883)
test it.. if its not, make em buy u a new motor

Tried that already,it's a battle you will not win. Crooked azz feds force us to use junk fuel.

Raymond 11-21-2011 04:04 PM

Back on topic guys, hoorah for helping out SS.
One of us could be the difference between someone coming home safe or in a black sled. We all take risks and push the envelope, SC is always my plan B.

alex.tallman 11-21-2011 08:09 PM

I know everyone had there opinions about fuel but when I worked at cycles and more and a Harley shop I can't tell you how many carbs I had to rebuild due to ethanol I recommend running mid to high grade fuel in any small engine guys it'll help you out in the long run put try to get no ethanol if you can

Montauk17 11-21-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex.tallman (Post 352978)
I know everyone had there opinions about fuel but when I worked at cycles and more and a Harley shop I can't tell you how many carbs I had to rebuild due to ethanol I recommend running mid to high grade fuel in any small engine guys it'll help you out in the long run put try to get no ethanol if you can

I agree....ethanol blended fuels can lower the octane. Therefor your engine runs better on the higher octane in ethanol blended fuels. But running higher octane won't stop the fact that ethanol is a water magnet and can cause phase separation. Best to keep your tank full at all times so there is less room for water buildup and use the ethanol sta-bil treatment with every fill up.

alex.tallman 11-21-2011 08:18 PM

Yes sir I agree

Raymond 11-21-2011 08:28 PM

Leave boats n water under shed and out in open at lease. IYO, should we invest in stabil stock and start treating every gallon? Probably burn 200-300 gallons per season and gas does not sit long

Montauk17 11-21-2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 352987)
Leave boats n water under shed and out in open at lease. IYO, should we invest in stabil stock and start treating every gallon? Probably burn 200-300 gallons per season and gas does not sit long

I agree with D,the more you use it the less problems you will have.

alex.tallman 11-22-2011 07:28 PM

Or shut your fuel off and run motor out of gas and your carbs will be saved


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted