SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   DIY Forum (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   My new home (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32496)

fishinpox 06-12-2012 06:28 PM

My new home

2 Attachment(s)
Just got the finalized set of plans for my fiancé and I new home . Gonna break ground on this one and another spec home, about finished with another and 4 months out on another from completion. I'll post pics as we build. Once complete it will be featured in the 2013 parade of homes in baton rouge

calcutta37 06-12-2012 06:33 PM

Looks nice pox

Bluechip 06-12-2012 06:46 PM

Keep us updated. I know it will be a nice home.

fishinpox 06-12-2012 07:03 PM

im pretty pumped, we have been working with the ar****ect and designer for a few months , once i get a 2x3 set of plans ill post of some of the unique detail ect.

mr crab 06-13-2012 02:41 PM

When is the house warming party?

Red Devil 06-14-2012 07:11 AM

Where's the machine gun turret for the upcoming zombie apocolypse????:D

longcast 06-14-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr crab (Post 447317)

I'll bring the drinks.

mr crab 06-15-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longcast (Post 447586)
I'll bring the drinks.

That could be an expensive proposition

fishinpox 06-18-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr crab (Post 447317)

Quote:

Originally Posted by longcast (Post 447586)
I'll bring the drinks.

Y'all are welcome anytime! Once I get it done, come check it out next year during the parade of homes in April or may of 13' . Other than the parade y'all are welcome whenever we're gonna have plenty room if you have to many "pops" n can't drive

fishinpox 06-18-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Devil (Post 447563)
Where's the machine gun turret for the upcoming zombie apocolypse????:D

Don't have one ...but the foyer is going to be have all the walls raised panels and one I'm gonna install a push magnet latch so I can have a hidden door with the 12ga. Behind it for when someone wants to get stupid ....if they make it past my dogs

mriguy 06-18-2012 08:35 PM

Looks beautiful Pox, what part of Baton Rouge are you building it?

fishinpox 06-18-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriguy (Post 449440)

On Perkins road about a1/8-1/4 mile down from Perkins Rowe . The neighborhood is called The Settlement At Willow Grove

fishinpox 06-18-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriguy (Post 449440)

southern151 06-18-2012 08:47 PM

Can I send my wife and kids? I could call that their vacation!

Micah 06-18-2012 08:49 PM

Very nice place Pox!!!

mriguy 06-18-2012 08:51 PM

MTV CRIBS......Salty Cajun edition

latravcha 06-18-2012 08:55 PM

Nice man.
I love my house but will never build one myself again

fishinpox 06-18-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriguy (Post 449457)
MTV CRIBS......Salty Cajun edition

Lol I don't think the neighborhood is ready for my , front yard parking, ice chest left in the driveway for a week , dogs barking, me casting into a 5 gallon bucket , arse!!!

Salty 06-19-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 449450)

HOH = $10,000 month. :rolleyes:

Did I hear correctly? Building sites are available at a starting price of $92.000? :eek:

fishinpox 06-19-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 449721)
HOH = $10,000 month. :rolleyes:

Did I hear correctly? Building sites are available at a starting price of $92.000? :eek:

HOA is 900/year ... Very reasonable IMO

meaux fishing 06-19-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 449473)
Lol I don't think the neighborhood is ready for my , front yard parking, ice chest left in the driveway for a week , dogs barking, me casting into a 5 gallon bucket , arse!!!

Place sounds kinda like River Ranch in Lafayette. Better watch out people in River Ranch arent even allowed to keep boats at their own house...

fishinpox 06-19-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 449772)
Place sounds kinda like River Ranch in Lafayette. Better watch out people in River Ranch arent even allowed to keep boats at their own house...

This neighborhood was modeled after RR. I won't be able to have my boat here. Looking at warehouse space for all my toys

Salty 06-19-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 449770)
HOA is 900/year ... Very reasonable IMO

Yes, very reasonable. I was watchin' that Sellin' LA thing on HGTV and the HOA in this one neighborhood was over $150k a year. :eek:

meaux fishing 06-19-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 449779)
This neighborhood was modeled after RR. I won't be able to have my boat here. Looking at warehouse space for all my toys

That's what I figured... My parents rented a house in RR while they were remodeling. All I can say is F that place I would never want to live in a place like that

PUREBAY2200 06-19-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

That sucks; make sure the storage place for ur boat dont have restricted hours . Some only open 5/6 am thru 7-8 pm. Also remember to get one that has a electrical plug for ur charger.

Our HOA states that all recreational equipment must b kept inside the fence.

fishinpox 06-19-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PUREBAY2200 (Post 449861)
That sucks; make sure the storage place for ur boat dont have restricted hours . Some only open 5/6 am thru 7-8 pm. Also remember to get one that has a electrical plug for ur charger.

Our HOA states that all recreational equipment must b kept inside the fence.

IM GONNA BUY A WAREHOUSE ....MY PLACE , MY HOURS :cool:. JUST TRYING TO FIND A GOOD SPOT THAT HAS 1500 SQFT+ AND A OFFICE SPACE THAT IS NICE ENOUGH TO MEET WITH CUSTOMERS AND NOT IN THE HOOD

fishinpox 06-19-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 449858)
That's what I figured... My parents rented a house in RR while they were remodeling. All I can say is F that place I would never want to live in a place like that

I DONT MINE IT , I WONT HAVE THAT BIG OF A YARD TO CUT , IM BUILDING ALOT OF HOUSES IN THERE SO I CAN WAKE UP AND WALK THE DOGS WHILE CHECKING JOBS, KEEP MY HOUSE AS A MODEL HOME , APPRASIALS ARE VERY VERY GOOD IN THERE SO ONCE I FLIP HOMES 2-3 TIMES OVER THE NEXT 10 7-10 YEARS ILL MOVE SOMEWHERE WITH SOME LAND ...OR WHERE MY FIANCE WANTS TO GO .....1+ACRE ON HIGHLAND ROAD:help:

PUREBAY2200 06-19-2012 10:06 PM

Re

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 449865)
IM GONNA BUY A WAREHOUSE ....MY PLACE , MY HOURS :cool:. JUST TRYING TO FIND A GOOD SPOT THAT HAS 1500 SQFT+ AND A OFFICE SPACE THAT IS NICE ENOUGH TO MEET WITH CUSTOMERS AND NOT IN THE HOOD

Ooooooohhhhhhh ; I got ya.
Build ya a man cave in there so when u pizzzz off the lil lady u got a cool place to crash!!
:help:

fishinpox 07-14-2012 08:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Just went to new Orleans today and bought a bunch of pre civil war cypress doors for the house , some will be spilt down the center to make french doors, some with be turned into Dutch doors . The big ones are 10' tall

PaulMyers 07-14-2012 08:26 PM

I really like the doors. Were in N O is this place? Name, address?

fishinpox 07-14-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 462577)
I really like the doors. Were in N O is this place? Name, address?

There's 2
- "the bank" off of Felicity st
-" riccas ar****ectural salvage" off Carrollton .

I suggest going to Riccas first and putting the items you like on hold then go to the bank . I made the mistake of paying in full ....cash...at the bank before we went to riccas . Well I found doors I liked better at riccas but there was no refunds or exchanges . Both places will drip/ strip doors , repair them, square them up so you can jamb them up easier.

Both have doors, mantles, beams, hardware, claw foot tubs ect...

PaulMyers 07-14-2012 08:43 PM

Thanks for the info. All of our ornamental iron came from New Orleans on this last house. When it came time for all of our trim, New Orleans was out of business. We started this last house in July of 05'. We had to deal with the shortages from Katrina and Rita. It took us 17 months to get in it. I'm sure in the next couple of years we will be building another one. 8 to 10 years is about all I can stand to be in one house. :o

fishinpox 07-14-2012 08:52 PM

Even if you're not building now go check those places out ....very cool. Plus it will help plant ideas in your head for the future that you can build your house around these items instead of trying to figure how to make a item fit later

weedeater 07-14-2012 08:52 PM

Them doors are fine, how do prices on those compare to new ones...... I know there's no comparing but just curious

weedeater 07-14-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 462589)
Thanks for the info. All of our ornamental iron came from New Orleans on this last house. When it came time for all of our trim, New Orleans was out of business. We started this last house in July of 05'. We had to deal with the shortages from Katrina and Rita. It took us 17 months to get in it. I'm sure in the next couple of years we will be building another one. 8 to 10 years is about all I can stand to be in one house. :o

How did buying iron work in New Orleans compare to having custom made?

PaulMyers 07-14-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 462595)
Even if you're not building now go check those places out ....very cool. Plus it will help plant ideas in your head for the future that you can build your house around these items instead of trying to figure how to make a item fit later

Very good idea, I might have to take Carol on a little N O vacation soon.

Big Flounder 07-14-2012 08:56 PM

Thanks for that info. My wife has been dying to start looking at places like that for a front door. I think that is her main concern with our house is the front door!

fishinpox 07-14-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedeater (Post 462596)
Them doors are fine, how do prices on those compare to new ones...... I know there's no comparing but just curious

If its a 6'8" or 8/0 solid cypress in a regular 2,3,5,,6 panel a few hundred. But if it's tall , unique , has original hardware they are more . The one in the pic with the iron has everything original including the glass, hardware, jamb, keys ect...they wanted $5000.00 for it . If you budget an extra 1200-1500 you can get a few really cool doors and not have to spend 5 k on one ....unless your wife and decorator tell you u must :help:

MathGeek 07-14-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

The home I'm in now requires the boat be stored in the garage, but my next boat won't fit in the garage, so we need to be sure the next home will handle a bigger boat. Off site boat storage is possible, but it's way too much work picking up and dropping off a boat at another location every time we want to go fishing.

PaulMyers 07-14-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedeater (Post 462598)
How did buying iron work in New Orleans compare to having custom made?

Worked out great for us. Carol got exactly what she was looking for. We welded it up ourselves. Total savings was about 8 grand. I will say, ours is painted not powder coated. I have found that if it is prepared correctly and painted well, it will be forever before it will rust.

fishinpox 07-14-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 462611)
Worked out great for us. Carol got exactly what she was looking for. We welded it up ourselves. Total savings was about 8 grand. I will say, ours is painted not powder coated. I have found that if it is prepared correctly and painted well, it will be forever before it will rust.

Orleans ornamental? I have their catalog of 1000's of profiles. I always sandblast and powder coat vs paint .But if not in direct weather paint will hold up. The key is to not tack the hollow pcs but weld a continuous bead around it so no rain gets inside and rusts from inside out

PaulMyers 07-14-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 462617)
Orleans ornamental? I have their catalog of 1000's of profiles. I always sandblast and powder coat vs paint .

That's the place alright. Great people and very good pricing. In the Lake Charles area, the people that do ornamental iron wanted the whole job or none at all. They wanted the markup on the iron also. I already had a contractor account with Orleans Ornamental Ironworks.

I didn't have access to a sand blaster so we used Ospho (sp). Sand litely to get loose rust off, apply Ospho (sp) and paint well. The Ospho (sp) changes the chemical composition of the rust that is left back into metal. No rust yet after 7 years.

weedeater 07-14-2012 09:30 PM

Gonna have to go there to look because we have a lot of wood work and want some iron for our patio area.

fishinpox 07-14-2012 09:35 PM

My iron guy is 80/Lin ft on balc rails , going up stairs is 150/ ft and it goes up from there. I just don't have time to make that stuff myself , I wish I did cuz I could save tons!!! Paul next time bring it to BAton Rouge powder coat they will blast/ powder coat at a good price

PaulMyers 07-14-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 462633)
My iron guy is 80/Lin ft on balc rails , going up stairs is 150/ ft and it goes up from there. I just don't have time to make that stuff myself , I wish I did cuz I could save tons!!! Paul next time bring it to BAton Rouge powder coat they will blast/ powder coat at a good price

I sure will, thanks again for the info.

weedeater 07-14-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishinpox (Post 462633)

All of mine will be outside around a courtyard and will run from brick post to brick post so as long as its all matching I can buy used and cut to size...... I hope to have my plans Monday and will post them.

fishinpox 07-15-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedeater (Post 462660)
All of mine will be outside around a courtyard and will run from brick post to brick post so as long as its all matching I can buy used and cut to size...... I hope to have my plans Monday and will post them.

No Paul is talking about a supply house that 99% of the decorative iron guys use out of new Orleans . You can go buy all the pcs and weld it up yourself .

fishinpox 07-17-2012 07:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pouring the slab this morning , hoping to keep it under 130 yards but with all this rain we had to keep cleaning out footings which grew them by 6-8" in depth

PaulMyers 07-17-2012 07:34 AM

Congrats on the new slab! Looks like clear sailing today.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

fishinpox 07-18-2012 08:31 PM

thank god we poured tuesday , and i poured another one today because the skys just opened up for the past 3.5 hours in baton rouge , my footings would have been full of water. i love pouring a slab and having it rain is butt off that night espc. when its 100* outside . rain on a fresh pour slab is perfect combo for a crack free / strong slab. now putting a "dressing" on the lots with all this mud now that a whole diffrent story