Fishing in the Lafitte area!
Maybe we can start a Lafitte area fishing discussion:
Anybody willing to share a little info. they might have? I live in Marrero and fish Lake Salvador,Lake Cataouatche.Been fishing bass,catfish,sacalait,goggleye and been doing pretty good...well enough for a fry here and there. Would love to do some saltwater fishing. Tried around the Bayou Dupont area and Texaco Canal not having luck. I'm not looking to catch a limit of any fish,just got me a new rod and would love to see it in action on a few reds(just legal size are the ones I like). Any help will be appreciated. Heck come on over and jump in the boat and we'll go fishing. I'm up for being shown and learning my way around. Thanks, Nathan |
about a month ago I heard they were thick around hackberry bay/ north barataria area dont know if they are still there
|
btw welcome to the Cajun and feel free to post some reports from the east side.
|
Meaux fishing: Thanks for the welcome. I've been (ok I'm a shame,been lurking awhile) and though I should register so I can be part if a cool site about fishing.
Hope to get a few tips and in turn may be able to help any one coming to the Westbank,just give me a halla. Good Fishing Everybody. Nate |
If you're looking for the smaller, eating sized reds, work the grass beds in Lake Salvador with a 1/2oz gold spoon. Can't go wrong. Dupont and Texaco have been dead since the spring.
The trout have been farther south, from Bassa Bassa to Grand Isle. Find some good points and old shell reefs with some tide movement and you'll find a bunch of trout. |
Ton of reds on the banks of little lake. Just run around till you find the schools cruising the banks.
|
hell feel free to post always lookin to go fishing on that end
|
Quote:
I fished lafitte last weekend and did pretty bad. I fished west side of little lake, a small strech of bank in coffee bay (did she jack crap) and the went over to my little spot around the texaco canals. Anyone else have any luck anywhere in that area? I use the staple lure for that area... Black and chartruese cockahoe.. or Spot Remover with Black and Chart cockahoe. |
And look for schooling red by the Dry Cypress on the S end of Salvador. Can be hot. Watch for cypress stumps though!
Texaco canals, spoons around the grass and Gulp under a cork should produce some fish. Look at a Google earth map of area and plan your day - spots 1 - 12 - run and gun, hitting points and cuts. |
Quote:
Oh you have no idea how I've study this area.. haha It's the only area I fish. I've imported all my trips from my HumminBird into my google earth. I just can't seem to get a good routine. However I've only fished out of my new boat around 10 times, so Im learning the area and learning my boat. :*****: I try to hit points and cuts in texaco canals, but it seems I have better luck sneaking back up in the shallow areas. Also I can't seem to get ahold of fishing the bigger waters. little lake to be exact. Hey, I'm a Georgia transplant so cut me some slack..... :spineyes: |
Dry Year
SuperDave,
Next time you're your out, try to keep in mind that we're in a drought. The fish aren't where they "should" be right now. Redfish "should" be stacked up in Little Lake and trout "should" be on the south end of the bay and on beaches. With little rain and almost no flow through the diversion, the salt water line has pushed way up. The bulk of the redfish have been in Bayou Rigolets, Bayou Perot and Lake Salvador. We've caught a handful of trout as far north as the Pen, of all places. Most are in the northern part of Barataria Bay. 1/2oz gold spoons for the reds and clear/chart. tail sparkle beetles under a cork for the specks. |
Thanks for the tips!
Yeah I've been watching the Salinity too. Two weeks ago it was around 12 to 15 or so at Bay Dosgris... But now its sitting at 2 to 4 depending on the tide. |
Any one been lately? Found some bull reds in one of "my" spots, but couldn't get one to the boat. They were all over the place though and had been for the past 2 weekends in a row. My plan was to go this weekend with a few new ideas to hook one, but this weather has kept me on land...
Anyone else been lately? |
I havnt been all the way down to lafitte recently, but we usually do alright in the texaco canals. I did pretty well in the tank ponds off of lake cataouatche recently. We caught decent numbers, but the bass were smaller.
|
Lake Wahington near Port Sulphur is on fiya w the specs when the weather cooperates. Fish the structures on south ends.
|
I'll hopefully be able to go next weekend, but I think work may change my plans... no fun.
After next weekend I wont be out there for 2 more weeks. |
Quote:
The reds are still all over from Lake Salvador, Bayou Perot on down to Little Lake. |
Quote:
I should have some friends and family coming over here in September and October so hopefully I can put them on some fish! Any particular areas in Bayou Perot that I should look for? I plan on going out next weekend, but like I said, work my stand in the way. :work: |
Work the marsh north of the wall. Spoons, spinnerbaits and black/chart minnows on the bottom.
|
Yella, any updates on Lafitte? I went last Sunday for a short period and as usual didn't catch but only a couple...
I should be back out there is weekend. |
Winter time is your friend in lafitte. The river is usually low and the trout and reds move into that area.
|
Quote:
Trout are slowly making their way in, but they are spread out all over. Little Lake, Bay Cray, Lake Laurier... Just look for the white shrimp popping. There have been a few birds working on the east side, but 1 in 10 trout are keepers. Lately, 30-40 has been a good day. |
Heading to lafitte in the morning and goin to try to find some fish to bring back home to my parents back in Georgia on Friday.
Reds still in the Pen? Does anyone have any coordinates for the obstructions in the pen? |
Yella, were you fishing around the mouth of bayou dupont this morning?
|
Anybody been lately? Seems like the thread died...
|
Been fishing for the past 3 days. It's been a mixed bag.
Some days, it's an easy limits of reds. Others, you have to work your butt off just to put a few in the box. Specks have been spotty. You'd catch 70 one day and go back the next and only catch 30. They haven't 100% set up in their fall spots yet. We need some cool weather to really kick things off. |
1 Attachment(s)
Today was one of those easy redfish days. 50 trout to go along with 20 reds.
|
I believe me and my girlfriend rode past yall when I was pulling up to the ramp. I was in a sea foam green flats boat with a poling platform on the back.
I did ok, but didn't catch any where near 50 trout. Fished with market bait under a cork, spinner bait with a marsh works mud minnow with a chart tail, and also carolina rigged some market shrimp. |
My boat is hard to miss. You can see that bright yellow from a mile away.
We did best with plastics under a cork for both reds and trout. They were chasing schools of pogies. Anything that looked like a minnow got destroyed. I'll be back out there again this weekend. If you see the boat, come stop in and say hello. |
Yeah, my little boat is a kinda different but doesn't POP like that yella. Haha
If I go this weekend it will be Saturday. |
I'll be out there all weekend.
|
Blast from the past!
Anyone fished the Lafitte/Barataria areas in the past few weeks? |
| All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted