SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Black panther sightings/discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40055)

Top Dawg 01-02-2013 05:08 PM

Black panther sightings/discussion

So today at work we got on the topic of black panthers. I was amazed at the fact that I was the minority that doesn't believe they exist. Several peoe I work with claimed to have witnessed these elusive creatures. Some have even seen them on several occasions! I was just curious as to what the salty Cajuns opinions were on this topic. Beings it's been a while since we had this debat. :smokin:

"W" 01-02-2013 05:09 PM

Pics or didn't happen!!!!

Like Big Foot!!!

SULPHITE 01-02-2013 05:10 PM

talked to a guy from Texas (deer hunter) just the other day... He has seen them...lol

speck-chaser 01-02-2013 05:19 PM

they had some hanging around the polling boothes a couple of months ago.

Duck Butter 01-02-2013 05:23 PM

You are definitely the minority! I can listen to people when they say they saw a panther, but once 'black panther' is said, I can not listen any more. Most of my relatives have at least heard a panther but ALL of my in-laws that hunt have heard BLACK PANTHERS:rotfl: How in the heck do you know if its black?:spineyes: They say 'it sounded like a woman screaming', well maybe it was a woman screaming:D

I did hear that Obama is secretly placing more out in the south in order to keep the pro-gun crowd inside and be scared of the woods

Top Dawg 01-02-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Butter (Post 533146)
You are definitely the minority! I can listen to people when they say they saw a panther, but once 'black panther' is said, I can not listen any more. Most of my relatives have at least heard a panther but ALL of my in-laws that hunt have heard BLACK PANTHERS:rotfl: How in the heck do you know if its black?:spineyes: They say 'it sounded like a woman screaming', well maybe it was a woman screaming:D

I did hear that Obama is secretly placing more out in the south in order to keep the pro-gun crowd inside and be scared of the woods

Lol. I don't know who started the whole woman screaming thing. But apparently that's a tell tell sign it's a BLACK panther lol. Not being prejudice but most of the sightings are by deer hunters. We all know how the mind can start playing tricks on you in a deer stand in Louisiana!

Smalls 01-02-2013 05:29 PM

Yep, bunch of kooks if you ask me. Black panthers!?!? Got a better chance of running into Sasquatch. My future father-in-law believes they exist. Seen one his coworker supposedly killed. I'm not saying I don't think they exist, just isn't proof of any. Give me proof, and I'll believe. I'm a religious man (you know, believing without seeing), but I'm also a biologist, so show me the MONEY!!!! I mean evidence......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

meaux fishing 01-02-2013 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I seent em
Attachment 44649

CAMP CANARD 01-02-2013 05:33 PM

I saw one when I was 18 crossing a road in Sour Lake, TX.
They exist !

1fastmerc 01-02-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speck-chaser (Post 533145)
they had some hanging around the polling boothes a couple of months ago.

LMBO.

Sent from my stupid iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Dawg 01-02-2013 05:35 PM

With the millions of game cameras in all the woods across the united states. How come no one has a pic?

speck-chaser 01-02-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 533156)
With the millions of game cameras in all the woods across the united states. How come no one has a pic?

they stealthy like that!!

Top Dawg 01-02-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speck-chaser (Post 533157)
they stealthy like that!!

Lol. Not really. Just about every deer hunter I know has seen one.

jldsc 01-02-2013 05:48 PM

the common bobcat is what makes that women/baby screaming noise...have witnessed that personally..so says black panthers dont exist...what i think people are seeing are just a very dark coloration of the common cougar/mountain lion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marshrunner757 01-02-2013 06:22 PM

Panthers/cougars/mountain lions... all one in the same. Do black ones exist? Yes. Do they exist in the wild? Don't know. I've seen them in zoo's. According to LADWF agents I've talked to, they do exist though rare and come from Mexico. Fact or fiction I can't say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Top Dawg 01-02-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshrunner757 (Post 533172)
Panthers/cougars/mountain lions... all one in the same. Do black ones exist? Yes. Do they exist in the wild? Don't know. I've seen them in zoo's. According to LADWF agents I've talked to, they do exist though rare and come from Mexico. Fact or fiction I can't say.

It is a fact that black cougars/mountain lions have never been confirmed to exist. Not even in zoos. The ones you see in zoos are jaguars or leopards. Not cougars/mountain lions.

Feesherman 01-02-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 533173)
It is a fact that black cougars/mountain lions have never been confirmed to exist. Not even in zoos. The ones you see in zoos are jaguars or leopards. Not cougars/mountain lions.

God they don't even carry a melanistic gene! What do your "witnesses" say to this info and the fact that there has never ever been a shred of evidence that they exist? Just like bigfoot and wompas cats!

Ragin_Cajun 01-02-2013 06:51 PM

Wish i had a mount of a mountain lion.....i would paint it black and stick it infront of a game camera! Maybe a squatch too......could be on Discovery Channel! Whooooo

RickLafayette 01-02-2013 06:53 PM

To the best of my knowledge, panthers are all black leopards and exist only in Africa. You can actually see the outline of the spots on a lot of them. The same holds true for jaguars in South and Central America. That includes Mexico and border crossings into the US. The rings around the spots on the black jaguars are more visible than the ones on the leopards.
Now, as a matter of semantics, a lot of people call our mountain lions / pumas 'panthers'. They have been called 'panthers' as far back as the mid 1800's. Lewis and Clark had referred to eating 'panther' meat.
As for black mountain lions, pictures please.

Feesherman 01-02-2013 06:53 PM

And how come no one even sees a regular old panther or has any trail cam pics of one? We just don't have em. And don't go there with the pet that got killed in Louisiana a few years back.

Top Dawg 01-02-2013 06:59 PM

They got mountain lions in oberlin. Just ask the guys I work with. They saw game cam pics from their friends neighbors brother n laws stepsons feeder.

Feesherman 01-02-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Dawg (Post 533185)
They got mountain lions in oberlin. Just ask the guys I work with. They saw game cam pics from their friends neighbors brother n laws stepsons feeder.

That's what you got voting!!

Country Boy 01-02-2013 07:12 PM

not sure about black panthers but neighbors of my lease up north got a pic on his trail camera of what looks to be a cougar also he had sent the pic to Las magizine,it was about 3yrs ago and locals had also seen it cross the road at night while driving.

Top Dawg 01-02-2013 07:16 PM

It is possible that there may be a couple cougars in LA. But I guarantee u there ain't no black ones lol

Spunt Drag 01-02-2013 07:31 PM

I done seen a black panther, Sasquatch, Loch Ness, a chupacabra, a wampus cat, UFO, and a silver lab!

marshrunner757 01-02-2013 07:46 PM

Like I said smarta$$es. Can't say its fact or fiction. Zoos say they are panthers. I have no idea. Just stating what I've heard.

Top Dawg 01-02-2013 07:50 PM

Wasn't trying to be a smarta$$. But it is fact that the cougar doesn't carry the gene it takes for the coat to be black.

Feesherman 01-02-2013 07:53 PM

A black panther, puma, cougar, mountain lion, et all is in the same fictional realm as Bigfoot. Does not exist

huntin fool 01-02-2013 07:55 PM

Cougars, yes. Had a guy who deer hunts with us claim he seen on and hasn't returned since.

SULPHITE 01-02-2013 07:59 PM

i used to love cougars in lafayette

Raymond 01-02-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMP CANARD (Post 533154)
I saw one when I was 18 crossing a road in Sour Lake, TX.
They exist !

Horse and buggy days don't count in this tread Scooter.:D
Gotta be 21 st sentry

Bluechip 01-02-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SULPHITE (Post 533199)

Did you ever pet a black cougar?:smokin:

huntin fool 01-02-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SULPHITE (Post 533199)

I'm still. Cougar fan.. Seen some in grand Cheniere this weekend walking the marsh line

Country Boy 01-02-2013 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found the pic from neighbors of my lease, he had wardens come out and was confirmed that it was a young cougar also there was another one spotted 100 miles away a short time laterAttachment 44658

1fastmerc 01-02-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntin fool (Post 533198)
Cougars, yes. Had a guy who deer hunts with us claim he seen on and hasn't returned since.

Are you talking about y'all's land in Ragley?

Jabeaux 01-02-2013 08:50 PM

There was a pic of a cougar in Allen parish about 3 years ago that was confirmed by LDWF. Louisiana sportsmen had a story on it.

Jabeaux 01-02-2013 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 44659

Country Boy 01-02-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabeaux (Post 533223)

Yeah , that's the other one that was 100 miles away , about 3 weeks later.

huntin fool 01-02-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1fastmerc (Post 533220)
Are you talking about y'all's land in Ragley?

Yea. Had another guy say the electric company seen one on the railroad tracks right there in Ragley in daylight

1fastmerc 01-02-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntin fool (Post 533233)
Yea. Had another guy say the electric company seen one on the railroad tracks right there in Ragley in daylight

I saw one when they opened up Andrew Mouhot Rd and my friend saw tracks by his deer stand several times.

cajunforeman 01-02-2013 09:18 PM

I've seen a lot of cougars in my days both 2 legged and 4. The 2 legged are seen all across the country the 4 legged I've only seen and hunted in colorado. It is a rush tracking a cat in 12 inches of snow but I've never seen one in lousiana. FYI... Just a duck hunter so who knows they could be out there but in black, I'm not convinced.

1fastmerc 01-02-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1fastmerc (Post 533236)
I saw one when they opened up Andrew Mouhot Rd and my friend saw tracks by his deer stand several times.

Let me clarify that this was NOT a black panther but a cougar. It was at night but you could see it was tan not black.

Goooh 01-02-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntin fool (Post 533198)

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/news/34503

mallardhead 01-02-2013 09:44 PM

I like them tan long legged cougars lol

swamp snorkler 01-03-2013 07:26 AM

I can tell you why you don't see them often.

I've been living in my house for 8 years. I know my way around pretty good. My wife has a cat. If that cat doesn't want to be seen you not going to find her. A wild cat in their element is very elusive, you talking about a 100lb animal in square mileage of forest. They can hide very well.

Captain Mike P. 01-03-2013 07:44 AM

They've been seen 60% of the time every time

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55534169,d.b2I

jpeff31787 01-03-2013 07:48 AM

they for surely have one in church point.. hard to say if it was black or not, it was at night

Lake Chuck Duck 01-03-2013 08:09 AM

"Sorry I had a fight at your Black Panther party"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6hgSmco4R9...s400/gump2.jpg

Lil Silver 01-03-2013 08:14 AM

My nephew has pics of tracks that look like were made by a "BIG" cat a few years ago. A couple weeks later it crossed the gravel road in front of his truck late at night. He said there was no mistaking what it was. This is in the old Sulphur mines area.

Year's ago, farmer friends of mine saw one a couple of times on their farm. This is about 3 miles from my nephew's place.

This past fall, sitting on my front steps smoking a cig before heading to work, way before daylight, something let out a scream with a roar mixed in, that's the best I can describe it, across the road in the woods. It sounded like a frickin loud speaker out in the woods. People say it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. It felt like every hair on my legs stood up. LOL. My first tought to myself was, *T* was that? I grew up hunting in the woods ever since I was a little boy and never heard nothing like that. It was very LOUD. Talked to a neighbor that him and his family have hunted those woods for years and explained what I heard. He kind of laughed and said, yeah junior has a few pics of a big cat on one of his trail cams. This is about 2 miles from the place the farmers saw it years ago.

Black, no, I don't think so at all. Maybe they look black late in the evening or early morning. Brown, definitely yes. They be out there. BTW, this one sounded brown. Think it gave me a brown streak too! :*****:

T-TOP 01-03-2013 10:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 44674Attachment 44675Attachment 44676
jaguarundi
Have listened to this debate before, about 10 of us saw what appeared to be a large dark colored cat 20 years ago... After canoeing the whiskey ****to river, drinking beer all day...I must add... So it probably seemed a lot larger than it was... These cats are what people say we saw.... Only 20 pounds or so, but with the heavy coat and thick long tail and total length of 60 inches... Very easily mistaken for a BIG CAT... Lol