SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   big ice, anyone use this yet??? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46278)

T-TOP 07-24-2013 10:27 AM

big ice, anyone use this yet???
 
http://www.bigice.com/Home.html

4inch ice cubes would think 12 of them would last a good while in the fish box!!

SaltERedneck 07-24-2013 10:28 AM

Here we go LOL!!!

Lake Chuck Duck 07-24-2013 10:31 AM

Does it freeze from outside in or inside out?

AubreyLaHaye458 07-24-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck (Post 609096)
Does it freeze from outside in or inside out?

Left to right

swamp snorkler 07-24-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 (Post 609097)
Left to right


You had to go and do it????:confused:

We've been over inside out frozen ice and outside in frozen ice now we have this to deal with????




































j/k, check out this thread http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/show...light=question to see what I'm talking about if you haven't already.

SaltERedneck 07-24-2013 10:38 AM

Glad i could be part of SC history!!!!

meaux fishing 07-24-2013 10:40 AM

I bet you could put some custard and those in a yeti and get ice cream in 30 minutes

T-TOP 07-24-2013 10:43 AM

speaking of yetis, just picked up a new 35qt yesterday... to put some big ice in....

swamp snorkler 07-24-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-TOP (Post 609103)
speaking of yetis, just picked up a new 35qt yesterday... to put some big ice in....


Make sure you precool it.

Lake Chuck Duck 07-24-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 609104)
Make sure you precool it.

Yeah, I had to buy a bigger chest freezer to fit my yeti in.

Goooh 07-24-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck (Post 609110)
Yeah, I had to buy a bigger just freezer to fit my yeti in.

Lmao, just bring the freezer with you. It's lighter than the yeti, and will hold ice just as long once it's unplugged.

mriguy 07-24-2013 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Once more... Inside-out on top, Outside-in on top

AubreyLaHaye458 07-24-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 609098)
You had to go and do it????:confused:

We've been over inside out frozen ice and outside in frozen ice now we have this to deal with????




































j/k, check out this thread http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/show...light=question to see what I'm talking about if you haven't already.

Oh wow....had no idea what I just walked into. lol

Duck Butter 07-24-2013 11:50 AM

I just bought a Yeti hat and put it on and I am now frozen

MarshRat89 07-24-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp snorkler (Post 609104)
Make sure you precool it.

Make sure you chain it down!

nimbus73 07-24-2013 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my big ice makers. Been using them for years. They come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. They even come preloaded with colored ready to make ice, but I prefer to drain them and use the good old fashioned clear ice. Sometimes I use a different shape that has on the outside of it something about Blue Bell or the miniature ones. There is also a store in Lake Charles and Sulphur that sells orange leaves (although I've never seen any) that has some.

bjhooper82 07-24-2013 01:03 PM

Some of you guys crack me up. Don't you think it's common sense that a cooler with 3" of insulation should be cooled off in an air conditioned area before using it??? Think about it for a second. Once all that insulation gets hot, a yeti is pretty much like a frickin oven.

SaltERedneck 07-24-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjhooper82 (Post 609156)
Some of you guys crack me up. Don't you think it's common sense that a cooler with 3" of insulation should be cooled off in an air conditioned area before using it??? Think about it for a second. Once all that insulation gets hot, a yeti is pretty much like a frickin oven.

Had you read the entire thread you would realize that the cooler continued to lose ice rapidly even after cooling it off. IDK if that was a shot at me.... I aint mad atcha.

Ragin_Cajun 07-24-2013 01:40 PM

I make fresh brewed tea in mine during the summer!

elebouef 07-24-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 (Post 609097)
Left to right

Last year when I was running jugs and catching all that fish, I had to throw
away at least 50 pounds of ice, because it froze from right to left using some big jugs. Knew it was suppose to be left to right, so I didn't want to chance it. ;)

BIGV 07-24-2013 01:47 PM

My cheap igloo's from Walmart cost a fraction of a yeti and do just the same thing. I like my money to much to buy expensive stuff just to say I have it knowing it isn't any better. Hinges are my issue but they cheap also. As for ice, I freeze gallon jugs for free. Now I can afford a tank of gas!

T-TOP 07-24-2013 01:51 PM

Can't compare no igloo or coleman to a yeti..... Yeti is the ticket!

Ducktrickster 07-24-2013 02:11 PM

Tupperware is much cheaper

bjhooper82 07-24-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltERedneck (Post 609163)
Had you read the entire thread you would realize that the cooler continued to lose ice rapidly even after cooling it off. IDK if that was a shot at me.... I aint mad atcha.

It wasn't a shot at anybody in particular, that's why I started my sentence with"you guys"

bjhooper82 07-24-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGV (Post 609166)
My cheap igloo's from Walmart cost a fraction of a yeti and do just the same thing. I like my money to much to buy expensive stuff just to say I have it knowing it isn't any better. Hinges are my issue but they cheap also. As for ice, I freeze gallon jugs for free. Now I can afford a tank of gas!

Really?? Yeti is in the same class as a cheap igloo??? That's gotta be a joke because I sure am laughing my *** off!

BIGV 07-24-2013 04:40 PM

Kinda, I have zero experience with a yeti so I don't know. I never had a issue with a igloo so never looked at them. I would defend them also if I paid a few hundred for a ice chest!

"W" 07-24-2013 04:41 PM

Put ice in a yeti 6 months ago....still has ice!!

southern151 07-24-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGV (Post 609183)
Kinda, I have zero experience with a yeti so I don't know. I never had a issue with a igloo so never looked at them. I would defend them also if I paid a few hundred for a ice chest!

A Yeti is heavy enough to sink the Titanic, I know that much about em. I've got one of those Igloo Extremes (I think that's what they call it) and, I'm pretty happy with it. I couldn't pay $300 + for a cooler either...Everyone borrows my dang coolers and, never bring em back!:rotfl:

Goooh 07-24-2013 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I use to make my ice cube, one will make an ice cube ~80lbs. I still have one in my Coleman extreme that I put in during mardi gras (been keepin it out the sun).
Attachment 53638

AubreyLaHaye458 07-24-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 609216)
This is what I use to make my ice cube, one will make an ice cube ~80lbs. I still have one in my Coleman extreme that I put in during mardi gras (been keepin it out the sun).
Attachment 53638

You got one of them forklifts that hangs on the back of your truck like Doug Ashy? 80 lbs of just ice. Geez.

Sightwindow 07-24-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducktrickster (Post 609172)
Tupperware is much cheaper

Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Before we got the ice machine at the camp, we used tupperware to make block ice. Just need a deep freeze and a little lead time. :cool:

wtretrievers 07-24-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sightwindow (Post 609219)
Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Before we got the ice machine at the camp, we used tupperware to make block ice. Just need a deep freeze and a little lead time. :cool:

How many milk cartons were ever used to make block ice:confused: We used to have a freezer full!!!

swamp snorkler 07-24-2013 06:35 PM

If yall know somebody that runs a paper route or if you tight with the paper delivey person get them to give you or buy from them a stack of them bags they put the paper in when its raining. Fill em with water tie them tight and freeze them.

Pull n Pray 07-24-2013 08:24 PM

Balloons work good too, if you have room in your freezer.

Goooh 07-24-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pull n Pray (Post 609257)
Balloons work good too, if you have room in your freezer.

Man, when you post it is valuable stuff!! Awesome idea.

Bdub 07-24-2013 09:02 PM

On another note...those 20$ colored igloos don't hold ice for ****, if you gonna buy a cheap cooler at least get the marine grade. They hold ice a lot longer than them island breeze's...Bought a cheapo cooler for water at work and I'm spending more on ice than water...even with the inside out ice...Actually thought about upgrading to a high end cooler for this purpose...they are way too heavy for my boat though.

bjhooper82 07-24-2013 09:17 PM

I was buying a 120qt igloo every year and in no time the hinges would break, the drain plug would leak or break, the latches would break or the handels would break. Then the inside would start cracking and start stinking like crazy!! At $50 a pop and only getting one yer out of them I sad screw it and bought 3 yetis. Not 1 problem in over 3 years. You do the math. I don't buys yetis to "keep ice longer" I buy them for the "wildly stronger". The new k2's seem a lot better than the old ones also

BIGV 07-24-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjhooper82 (Post 609283)
I was buying a 120qt igloo every year and in no time the hinges would break, the drain plug would leak or break the latches would break or the handels would break. Then the inside would start cracking and start stinking like crazy!! At $50 a pop and only getting one yer out of them I sad screw it and bought 3 yetis. Not 1 problem in over 3 years. You do the math. I don't buys yetis to "keep ice longer" I buy them for the "wildly stronger". The new k2's seem a lot better than the old ones also

So you saying that your done with disposable ice chests?!

bjhooper82 07-24-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGV (Post 609285)
So you saying that your done with disposable ice chests?!

Lol!! Yes sir!

Goooh 07-25-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdub (Post 609269)
On another note...those 20$ colored igloos don't hold ice for ****, if you gonna buy a cheap cooler at least get the marine grade. They hold ice a lot longer than them island breeze's...Bought a cheapo cooler for water at work and I'm spending more on ice than water...even with the inside out ice...Actually thought about upgrading to a high end cooler for this purpose...they are way too heavy for my boat though.

I just got a K2 for work, it stays in the bed of the truck under a tonneau. The less I have to buy ice the happier I am, I keep ice in a cooler almost 365 days a year so I get tired of stopping to top off!

swampman46 07-25-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjhooper82 (Post 609156)
Some of you guys crack me up. Don't you think it's common sense that a cooler with 3" of insulation should be cooled off in an air conditioned area before using it??? Think about it for a second. Once all that insulation gets hot, a yeti is pretty much like a frickin oven.

Personally, I never could see being able to justify the "premium" cost of the Yeti. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, is the Yeti worth paying upwards of 10 times the price of an equal sized regular cooler? Throw into the mix, the fear of theft. :(

T-TOP 07-25-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 609388)
I just got a K2 for work, it stays in the bed of the truck under a tonneau. The less I have to buy ice the happier I am, I keep ice in a cooler almost 365 days a year so I get tired of stopping to top off!

never used a k2, but if its as tuff as the yeti like i hear you'll get your moneys worth. my 65 has lived outside and in the back of my truck for 6yrs. Very seldom has it been inside the garage. gets thrown around used for evey thing. It does keep ice a little better than any cooler ive had, but the durability is the big deal for me. I would have spent well over the cost of the yeti, buying coolers in the past 6yrs..... and will probably have the same cooler for another 6yrs or more, absolutely nothing wrong with it now.

Goooh 07-25-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampman46 (Post 609394)
Personally, I never could see being able to justify the "premium" cost of the Yeti. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, is the Yeti worth paying upwards of 10 times the price of an equal sized regular cooler? Throw into the mix, the fear of theft. :(

10x is pretty far off, I paid triple for my K2 as a comparable Coleman extreme. And it will last triple the time, don't leave it where it can get stolen - do you leave your guns in the back of your truck?

bjhooper82 07-25-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampman46 (Post 609394)
Personally, I never could see being able to justify the "premium" cost of the Yeti. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, is the Yeti worth paying upwards of 10 times the price of an equal sized regular cooler? Throw into the mix, the fear of theft. :(

I bought 4, 120qt igloos at over $50 per cooler in less than 4 years. Now I have a 110qt yeti that was around $490 after taxes, a 65 qt yeti that I got a great deal on brand new for $210 and 20qt for $190 and I guarantee you I will have these yetis for 20+ years. So for someone like me who uses ice chests all the time, they are more than worth it.

Ray 07-25-2013 04:51 PM

Gerald uses butter dishes. He has ice like that for free.

specktator 07-25-2013 06:03 PM

There are lots of people around that can get Yeti's for alot cheaper than normal price. Got a guy I go through that can get em for about 30% off. Like others say, they weigh entirely too much for fishing though. Once you fill one with fish and ice, you need a forklift to get it out your boat. I just use them for deer hunting and hunting trips/road trips.

There is no comparison on how long they hold ice compared to an Igloo though. Igloos are junk.

T-TOP 07-25-2013 06:11 PM

I think I've posted on here before. Anyone with a tax ID, can get a few friends together and make an order from yeti. With taxes and all it's close to 40% off. It used to be more of a discount, prices have gone up. I have 75, 65, 35qts. Bought all with that discounted price

Catcher'sMitt 07-25-2013 07:55 PM

Block ice. Nuff said?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Gerald 07-25-2013 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 609691)
Gerald uses butter dishes. He has ice like that for free.


Quote:

Block ice. Nuff said?


Ray.....I have moved up to "big" outside ice.

.

bjhooper82 07-25-2013 09:51 PM

When my ice maker gets full I dump it in a plastic grocery bag and put it in the freezer. It ads up quick and lasts way longer than store bought. I fill up old plastic containers also.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted