SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   805 lb Mako caught on beach near Pensacola (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52679)

MathGeek 04-16-2014 11:13 PM

805 lb Mako caught on beach near Pensacola
 
1 Attachment(s)
Caught last night. Wow!

AubreyLaHaye458 04-16-2014 11:18 PM

More than enough reason for me to never go to the beach again.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BassYakR 04-16-2014 11:48 PM

That's freaking awesome! I can't wait to get me a big shark in the kayak or from the beach.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

BuckingFastard 04-17-2014 06:25 AM

this is why i swim and fish at the beach!

duckman1911 04-17-2014 06:30 AM

I think ima have to switch to braid on my ole Zebco 33 so I can catch myself one of those.:grinpimp:

C-Bass2mouth 04-17-2014 06:31 AM

Mama say makos are ornery cuz they got all them teeth and no tooth brush

specktator 04-17-2014 06:31 AM

They caught one same size a few weeks ago off beach in Destin.

PUREBAY2200 04-17-2014 06:47 AM

Well I'm not going back n the water

Goooh 04-17-2014 07:51 AM

This ruined my summer

PUREBAY2200 04-17-2014 07:52 AM

Any idea why these makos are in so close??

C-Bass2mouth 04-17-2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PUREBAY2200 (Post 681982)
Any idea why these makos are in so close??

Spring break

PUREBAY2200 04-17-2014 08:37 AM

Lmao

Chasing tail too huh

Goooh 04-17-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PUREBAY2200 (Post 681982)
Any idea why these makos are in so close??


Hoards and hoards of triple tail

BananaTom 04-17-2014 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PUREBAY2200 (Post 681982)
Any idea why these makos are in so close??

Cobia Migration

Your chance of getting hurt by a shark, swimming in GOM, as far less than the risk you take by driving your car to the beach, and sitting on the beach.

So jump on in, the water is great.

TootiePounder 337 04-17-2014 09:15 AM

Turds are spawnin on the beach... floaters everywhere.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BananaTom 04-17-2014 09:18 AM

Here is the link to the News Article, which answers allot of your questions.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20140417/...n-local-waters

PUREBAY2200 04-17-2014 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BananaTom (Post 681997)
Cobia Migration

Your chance of getting hurt by a shark, swimming in GOM, as far less than the risk you take by driving your car to the beach, and sitting on the beach.

So jump on in, the water is great.

I stay in the water the majority of the time I'm at the beach, never really worried about sharks.
I avoid low light conditions , overcast skies and figure I will b ok.

I have never really been concerned , but after this I'm a lil nervous.

No human would stand a chance if that animal got ahold of them.

Do the makos stay in close all year or is it just Bc of the cobia??

Or a better question .... When do the cobia leave
Lol

PUREBAY2200 04-17-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BananaTom (Post 682003)
Here is the link to the News Article, which answers allot of your questions.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20140417/...n-local-waters

Thanks for the link

MathGeek 04-17-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BananaTom (Post 681997)
Cobia Migration

Your chance of getting hurt by a shark, swimming in GOM, as far less than the risk you take by driving your car to the beach, and sitting on the beach.

So jump on in, the water is great.

These analyses typically assume some kind of "average" driver and risks averaged over a whole year.

Personally, I stay at home when driving conditions are poor, and I work very hard to be much safer on the road:

1. I never text and drive.
2. I never drink and drive, and I'm not on the road at times when most drinking and driving occurs.
3. I do not drive when impaired by prescription meds or over the counter meds. I've never used illegal drugs.
4. I drive with my lights on and always use a seatbelt.
5. I often turn the radio off and ask my children to be quiet when driving conditions require more focus.
6. I blend with the traffic when conditions allow and always drive safe speeds.

As it happens, my wife and I serve as expert witnesses in a wide array of lawsuits, including a lot of fatal car crashes and accidents involving serious injuries.

The vast majority of fatal car crashes and accidents involving serious injuries are very much avoidable by following the steps outlined above, especially always wearing a seatbelt and avoiding chemical impairment of all kinds.

Combined with the fact that most folks drive to the beach when the conditions are good, and I tend to like my odds better on the beach than in the water, which also carries risks of drowning, sting rays, jellyfish, vibrio, etc.

The vibrio thing sealed staying out of the water for me.

BananaTom 04-17-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PUREBAY2200 (Post 682005)
Do the makos stay in close all year or is it just Bc of the cobia??

Read the article, and you will see that they fish 300 to 600 yards off the beach. That is 3 to 6 football fields offshore.

I would not worry about it.

Riceland 04-17-2014 09:37 AM

they moved in because the weirs are closed

MathGeek 04-17-2014 09:46 AM

A lot of the bull reds that we catch show evidence of recent shark attacks, suggesting narrow escapes. I swim a lot slower than a redfish.

PUREBAY2200 04-17-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BananaTom (Post 682012)
Read the article, and you will see that they fish 300 to 600 yards off the beach. That is 3 to 6 football fields offshore.

I would not worry about it.

Yea I saw that

Furthest I go is maybe 100 yards, I like to snorkel and dive the bottom looking for stuff.

goldenrod 04-17-2014 11:18 AM

I always go in the water with someone who can swim slower than me!!

meaux fishing 04-17-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 682010)
These analyses typically assume some kind of "average" driver and risks averaged over a whole year.



Personally, I stay at home when driving conditions are poor, and I work very hard to be much safer on the road:



1. I never text and drive.

2. I never drink and drive, and I'm not on the road at times when most drinking and driving occurs.

3. I do not drive when impaired by prescription meds or over the counter meds. I've never used illegal drugs.

4. I drive with my lights on and always use a seatbelt.

5. I often turn the radio off and ask my children to be quiet when driving conditions require more focus.

6. I blend with the traffic when conditions allow and always drive safe speeds.



As it happens, my wife and I serve as expert witnesses in a wide array of lawsuits, including a lot of fatal car crashes and accidents involving serious injuries.



The vast majority of fatal car crashes and accidents involving serious injuries are very much avoidable by following the steps outlined above, especially always wearing a seatbelt and avoiding chemical impairment of all kinds.



Combined with the fact that most folks drive to the beach when the conditions are good, and I tend to like my odds better on the beach than in the water, which also carries risks of drowning, sting rays, jellyfish, vibrio, etc.



The vibrio thing sealed staying out of the water for me.


How do you ever have fun?

Smalls 04-17-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 682153)
How do you ever have fun?

Lmao! I thought the same thing...

Visco 04-17-2014 07:01 PM

What concerns me about this shark and where it was caught is the fact that Makos are deep water sharks and are normally found close to the shelf, and not this close to shore. So my question is why is she in such shallow water?

MathGeek 04-17-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaux fishing (Post 682153)
How do you ever have fun?

Smokin' hot wife!

Lots of outdoors hobbies.

Fishing!

And it doesn't hurt that I find math and science fun!

AubreyLaHaye458 04-17-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathGeek (Post 682164)
And it doesn't hurt that I find math and science fun!



Ding. Ding. Ding.

Wanna do my math homework? lol



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoneFishin 04-17-2014 08:00 PM

Last spring The bull sharks were cruising right along the beach in knee deep water down in grayton beach what a crazy sight people were running up ahead warning people to get out the water. The next day at the state park a guy was surf fishing and we watch a big shark swim up behind him, he didn't even know it look like a scene out of Jaws I went and warn him he look at me like I had 2 heads The dumb *** had a bait bucket full of dead bait floating and tied to him. Well We had a cold beer a just waited well it was His lucky day

weedeater 04-17-2014 08:32 PM

Last summer we watched a group of people fishing for these sharks off the Navarre beach peir. They had some serious rigs set up which would look like a trot line of hooks and used a remote control kayak to run several hundred yards off the end of the peir to drop their baits.... pretty cool to watch if you are down there

MathGeek 04-17-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 (Post 682173)
Ding. Ding. Ding.

Wanna do my math homework? lol

Always happy to help. Helped one of the peeps on SC on some of his differential equations a while back. Made for an interesting thread. But if I do it for you, nobody learns but me.

MathGeek 04-17-2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedeater (Post 682186)
Last summer we watched a group of people fishing for these sharks off the Navarre beach peir. They had some serious rigs set up which would look like a trot line of hooks and used a remote control kayak to run several hundred yards off the end of the peir to drop their baits.... pretty cool to watch if you are down there

We try for sharks and just keep catching redfish. All last year, a gazillion redfish (not that we mind) and just three sharks. Biggest was 4'. Good times.

BananaTom 04-18-2014 06:08 AM

Here is the TV News Report:


http://www.weartv.com/news/features/...rk-43592.shtml

BananaTom 04-18-2014 06:11 AM

Here is the local thread


http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...avarre-332434/

Matt G 04-18-2014 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedeater (Post 682186)
Last summer we watched a group of people fishing for these sharks off the Navarre beach peir. They had some serious rigs set up which would look like a trot line of hooks and used a remote control kayak to run several hundred yards off the end of the peir to drop their baits.... pretty cool to watch if you are down there

My wife's mom is originally from the Navarre area. Her family said that the beach there is packed with sharks.

BananaTom 04-23-2014 01:46 PM

He ate it and lost the record

Matt G 04-23-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BananaTom (Post 683584)
He ate it and lost the record

That sucks..... These guys normally fish at night to catch those sharks? Next time I'm in Milton, I'll have to see about finding a shark fishing outfit!

BananaTom 04-23-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 683596)
That sucks..... These guys normally fish at night to catch those sharks? Next time I'm in Milton, I'll have to see about finding a shark fishing outfit!

We gotta bunch of Sharkers over here, they post up on the PFF, get together about 10 - 15 people and go have an all nighter sharking, placing baits with kayaks.

They are always posting "Who wants to go"

I have been a few times, it is a BLAST!!

kb7722 04-23-2014 02:48 PM

I watched a video last year of a shark just a few yards off the beach. The guy videoed the shark while walking down the beach and then followed it with a kayak. Do a youtube search for "shark destin beach".

Slomo510 04-23-2014 07:54 PM

I grew up in Navarre and have seen quite a few sharks pulled in, nothing ever that big though. I dont know the guy but thats quite a feat, and some good eatin for sure.

Just a little tidbit, Navarre is where they filmed parts of Jaws!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted