SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Youth Duck Hunt (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22167)

ckinchen 08-16-2011 02:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by all star rod (Post 307304)
The auto will kick less than a pump especially if it is gas operated. This helps with the kick.
Just have him put 1 shell in his gun. That is what I did when my son really started hunting 2 years ago.

Chicken what are you going to SHOOT????

Other than a Belgium made browning my grandfather gave me that I will not shoot, I do not own a semi-auto. I have the over and under my client makes and this is one of the first 10 guns they made, my serial number is 8 and an 870 pump 12 gauge, that's it. I guess I need to talk to you about what Benelli I need to buy. I want something I can pass down to my kids.

PaulMyers 08-16-2011 03:00 PM

He'll love that gun! Very nice, not to heavy and easy to clean which is another part of hunting/shooting that he will need to learn.

The two of you made a good choice.

EVO

PaulMyers 08-16-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 307438)
Other than a Belgium made browning my grandfather gave me that I will not shoot, I do not own a semi-auto. I have the over and under my client makes and this is one of the first 10 guns they made, my serial number is 8 and an 870 pump 12 gauge, that's it. I guess I need to talk to you about what Benelli I need to buy. I want something I can pass down to my kids.

You never have to worry about wasting that third shot with an over/under. I like the 2 I have.

EVO

ckinchen 08-16-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 307440)
He'll love that gun! Very nice, not to heavy and easy to clean which is another part of hunting/shooting that he will need to learn.

The two of you made a good choice.

EVO

We got lucky.....

Growing up in the country, I should know more about guns and hunting than I do, it just never intrested me. I'm starting to take an intrest now, seems like another expensive hobby....

all star rod 08-16-2011 03:06 PM

Chicken that high$$$$ over and under you got will rust out quicky in the marsh. If you want a Benelli, get the Super Vinci or the SBE2. Both shoot 3.5" shells. The SBE2 I have in my pic was purchsed in 2004. Both guns (super vinci & sbe2) camo model are 1500 plus, good luck.

PaulMyers 08-16-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 307442)
We got lucky.....

Growing up in the country, I should know more about guns and hunting than I do, it just never intrested me. I'm starting to take an intrest now, seems like another expensive hobby....

Just wait until you get into SCUBA Diving. I have a dive computer that cost me over 1200.00.

EVO

ckinchen 08-16-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all star rod (Post 307444)
Chicken that high$$$$ over and under you got will rust out quicky in the marsh. If you want a Benelli, get the Super Vinci or the SBE2. Both shoot 3.5" shells. The SBE2 I have in my pic was purchsed in 2004. Both guns (super vinci & sbe2) camo model are 1500 plus, good luck.

Thanks, I am going to look at both of these.

huntin fool 08-16-2011 03:23 PM

remington 1100 20 ga ladies model for kids. I grew up shotting this gun

meaux fishing 08-16-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 307448)
Thanks, I am going to look at both of these.

I shoot an SBE II and love it

Montauk17 08-16-2011 03:40 PM

Hard to beat a benelli if you want a auto

Hunt Fish Nap 08-16-2011 03:42 PM

I have to agree with Hankscke123 about the 28 gauge. There will be less recoil from the 28 gauge than a 20 gauge and the 28 patterns much better. Next to a 12 gauge, the 28 has the best pattern/knock down power than the 20 or 410.

ckinchen 08-16-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montauk17 (Post 307461)
Hard to beat a benelli if you want a auto

How do you guys feel about Browning?

Micah 08-16-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 307464)

All the "B" guns are good....Browning, Benelli and Beretta. All feel different, weigh different and shoot different. I have a Beretta but if I was able to have shot all these guns before hand, I think I would have gone with the Benelli for how light it is.

all star rod 08-16-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh Boy (Post 307474)
All the "B" guns are good....Browning, Benelli and Beretta. All feel different, weigh different and shoot different. I have a Beretta but if I was able to have shot all these guns before hand, I think I would have gone with the Benelli for how light it is.

I agree with Beretta; however, not on the Browning (newer model Automatics).

Montauk17 08-16-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 307464)

Browning auto rifles are awesome,I have a BAR Safari .270 that I have been hunting with for years without a single problem. Browning auto shotguns on the other hand are not as reliable IMO.

Capt.B 08-16-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshdomingue (Post 307284)
I would recommend a berretta youth 20 ga ....... very lite and very little recoil ...... but i would let him pick out his own gun, something that feels comfortable to him and get both of you a therma cell for teal season.

X2;)

Kenner18 08-16-2011 04:53 PM

I shoot Brownings with no issues. I have a Gold, Silver, and a Maxus. I work as a guide, so my guns get shot alot and are treated ruff. Never a hang up or malfunction . I shoot 3 1/2 shells all duck season ,and only clean it if it rains on it a couple days in a row .
I wouldnt shoot anything else...It earns a check for the past 10 yrs.

BIGJ 08-16-2011 05:06 PM

I only buy Browning guns if I can help it. Sometimes I slip up if I get a good deal on another brand. Hard to go wrong with a Browning with the exception of a semi-auto Mag rifle.

Slidellkid 08-16-2011 05:06 PM

I would not buy him a pump. Buy him a semi auto. As other folks have mentioned, they kick less and the difference is significant. Just ask anyone who has shot a 3.5 inch pump versus an auto. The reason they kick less is because some of the gas from the shell is diverted to ports to operate the system. You don't have to let him use it as a semi-auto, he can use it as a single shot and the recoil reduction will be the same. The kick from a semi is like a long push versus a sharp jolt.

You can also buy reduced recoil shotgun shells. You won't find these at Walmart, but you might at Cabelas or Bass Pro. You could also do a search on Midway.com and probably find them. These shells probably will probably not cycle the action of a semi auto, but they are great for starters.

Make sure he always wears hearing protection. Half of the fear of recoil seems to come from the blast.

I agree with others on letting him pick out a shotgun. Get him some catalogs from Beretta, Franchi, Remington and Browning and see what he keys in on. When I was 13 I got my first semi auto and I spent all summer drooling over the Remington and Browning catalogs. I remember how damn exciting that was.

FYI Browning makes a nice light little 20 gauge youth semi auto. I picked up one at Cableas and was amazed how good it felt. Don't worry about spending too much on him, if you ever decide to sell it there is a huge market for youth shotguns.

Lastly, when he shoots it for the first time, let him shoot at something you throw up in the air. His concentration on trying to hit the object will divert some of his attention away from his focus on how bad it is going to kick. It's not going to kick bad, but he will probably think it will.

If you decide to take him deer hunting let me know. I have a nice little single shot .youth .223 that is very pleasant for kids to shoot.

noodle creek 08-16-2011 06:10 PM

a pump will probably kick a little more than an automatic, and be sure not to get a youth gun with anything less than a 26in barrel. Short barrels are really dangerous, and way too loud