SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Switching to Center Console (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67379)

Flex 07-26-2017 02:29 PM

Switching to Center Console

Hey fellas, been thinking of switching from side to center console for a long time now.

Think I actually want to do it this winter. I understand needing new controls and relocating cables and all. Has anybody done this? Anybody switch and regret it? And does anybody know where I can buy a center console? I'm in central TX now so not many boat yards around.

Boats a 17.5x60 aluminum mod v.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6f59aa7992.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Feesherman 07-26-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flex (Post 824092)
Hey fellas, been thinking of switching from side to center console for a long time now.

Think I actually want to do it this winter. I understand needing new controls and relocating cables and all. Has anybody done this? Anybody switch and regret it? And does anybody know where I can buy a center console? I'm in central TX now so not many boat yards around.

Boats a 17.5x60 aluminum mod v.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6f59aa7992.jpg

So basically what you're wanting to do is go from a little bit of room in boat to no room at all right?

Flex 07-26-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feesherman (Post 824093)
So basically what you're wanting to do is go from a little bit of room in boat to no room at all right?

Well my decks are pretty big, and I am currently running with the seats on the livewell which is now a dry box. I figured if I went a narrow center console. Similar to the size of my current console but taller and removed dry box I wouldn't give up much space. Leaning post big ice chest for driver. Small ice chest in front of console for passenger. Is what is in my head.

I have it set up for shallow running, and use it like a poling skiff, never fish more than two people.

speck cc 07-26-2017 03:50 PM

I have a 16ft cc and would love to go to a side console for more room. My 2 cents... leave it like it is. cc only takes up more room.

jaybird 07-26-2017 04:02 PM

check out www.boatfitters.com for console.

Andy C 07-26-2017 06:51 PM

I know where there's a brand new one, it's just big enough for the helm,control box,and one maybe two gauges. Fiberglass. Can get pics of it Friday if your interested.

Flex 07-26-2017 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C (Post 824113)
I know where there's a brand new one, it's just big enough for the helm,control box,and one maybe two gauges. Fiberglass. Can get pics of it Friday if your interested.

May be interested. Load pics when you get a chance. Not in any hurry to do it. Still plenty of water time this year before I start tearing into the boat.

Dogface 07-27-2017 05:11 AM

I think you will regret it. I had a center console and went back to side.

swamp snorkler 07-27-2017 06:08 AM

I had a center console and loved it. Got a bass boat with a side console and gave it away, I'll never own another side console.

Andy C 07-27-2017 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flex (Post 824116)
May be interested. Load pics when you get a chance. Not in any hurry to do it. Still plenty of water time this year before I start tearing into the boat.

Will do

Flex 07-27-2017 09:02 AM

I've had this boat since 97. My main want for the center console is to be able to stand while driving, both when through a chop, and when looking for fish. Just seems like a much better vantage point. And to have vertical rod/gear holders on the sides of the console. Instead of poles laying around. I guess I need to get a ride in a similar boat to see how it feels.

Feesherman 07-27-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flex (Post 824136)
I've had this boat since 97. My main want for the center console is to be able to stand while driving, both when through a chop, and when looking for fish. Just seems like a much better vantage point. And to have vertical rod/gear holders on the sides of the console. Instead of poles laying around. I guess I need to get a ride in a similar boat to see how it feels.

You can still have vertical rod holders. I put some of these on my side console.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...Brod%2Bholders

rondog 07-27-2017 12:05 PM

I have the same size boat and was thinking about doing the same thing add a center console. Please keep me posted on this. I'm curious.

Flex 07-27-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rondog (Post 824152)
I have the same size boat and was thinking about doing the same thing add a center console. Please keep me posted on this. I'm curious.

Will do. Planning on doing several mods to the boat this winter. Will start a build thread when I do.

Elbert Chamblee 07-29-2017 08:50 PM

switching to center console

aluminum console listed on -southeastexas.com ....under boat parts

24' x 20' all welded aluminum console with steering wheel and cable ,rod holders flat top for dept finder mount $300. no emails please
General Information Contact Seller
Date Submitted: 07/28/17
Share:
Email: Click Here
Primary Phone: (409) 550-8416

tigerhead 08-28-2017 05:43 PM

I had a 16 ft Carolina Skiff that was side console and hated it. Couldn't balance the boat when I was running by myself and spray was a constant annoyance. Moved the console to the center and loved it. My console was already shaped like a center console, so I moved it over and slightly back and was able to use the same cables. Mounted a cooler in front of the console for a passenger to sit on.