SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Redfish help - VM Bay (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68579)

Hightower 06-19-2018 12:05 PM

Redfish help - VM Bay

So i've got two young daughters who are finally getting fired up to catch fish. We bounce around dry reef soaking shrimp on the bottom and have no problem locating the hardheads.

I'm looking for a general spot in VM Bay or West Cote Blanche where I can bounce around, anchor up and put them on a few Reds, sheephead, etc. Would prefer to stay away from areas that are too shallow (under 5 ft.) or have a ton of obstructions to worry about. Any info would be much appreciated...thanks!

redaddiction 06-19-2018 12:12 PM

Dry reef is a great spot for that. It?s just the fish weren?t there when you were. Keep trying. Late summer is best time.

You can head north and try the mouths of the Boston canal and delcambre canal. Those are good redfish spots too.

Also the reefs in southwest pass.

Reefman 06-19-2018 01:46 PM

Try the well heads in Cote Blanche bay to the east of Dry Reef. Cast as close to structure as possible with dead shrimp on jig head.

Hightower 06-19-2018 01:48 PM

Thanks for the advice...will def keep trying. I've heard there are a few satellites right by the main rig at dry reef that actually have shell pads. I'd love to figure out where those are.

Reefman 06-19-2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hightower (Post 837022)
Thanks for the advice...will def keep trying. I've heard there are a few satellites right by the main rig at dry reef that actually have shell pads. I'd love to figure out where those are.

Most that know where those pads are aren't telling! Dem are speck spots!

redaddiction 06-19-2018 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hightower (Post 837022)

You can see them all around you when you are out there. They aren?t that far from the main structure. Few hundred yards to some of them. I?m sure most have shell pads.

tojoe 06-19-2018 04:14 PM

You can feel the shell pads dragging bottom.

fishingdirty 06-19-2018 08:27 PM

Just go to Lake Charles it?s a lot easier than vb lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redaddiction 06-19-2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingdirty (Post 837040)

Not really. It?s because people try and fish VB while the water is too fresh. I don?t even start fishing it until July. And even that is too early. August thru December is the only time to really catch saltwater species consistently.

fishingdirty 06-19-2018 08:34 PM

Lake Charles is ALWAYS on when it comes to redfish they are on every bank in every cut , bayou , every rock pile , hole and reef as long as tide is moving obviously there are better times But they are almost a nuisance [emoji38]

saltysully 06-20-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingdirty (Post 837040)

I agree!!

Hightower 06-20-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingdirty (Post 837045)
Lake Charles is ALWAYS on when it comes to redfish they are on every bank in every cut , bayou , every rock pile , hole and reef as long as tide is moving obviously there are better times But they are almost a nuisance [emoji38]

Can?t disagree with you on any of that. VM bay much closer and more convenient for me. Lol But If I had unlimited access to a dock with lights at big lake, I?d make that trip all the time.

rk3 06-21-2018 01:42 PM

Just call you friend to take you