SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Down imaging? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31230)

1fastmerc 05-13-2012 06:41 PM

Down imaging?

Does down imaging really help you out on seeing structure on the bottom, etc..... I'm looking at getting another depth finder for my boat with an chart plotter in it and I was wondering if the extra money was worth the product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PUREBAY2200 05-13-2012 06:55 PM

depends on the depth and where u fishin at.

give us ur fishin style

Lake Chuck Duck 05-13-2012 07:00 PM

It helps if you know what you are doing and what you are looking at.

1fastmerc 05-13-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PUREBAY2200 (Post 431972)
depends on the depth and where u fishin at.

give us ur fishin style

Some Big Lake more the I2-10 area, the Calcasieu river and some Toledo.

PaulMyers 05-13-2012 07:08 PM

A good one will let you see everything on the bottom. Ask Jchief.

1fastmerc 05-13-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMyers (Post 431978)
A good one will let you see everything on the bottom. Ask Jchief.

What's the story behind this?

Tightline11 05-13-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1fastmerc (Post 431980)
What's the story behind this?

I have the Humminbird Chartplotter with side imaging and down imaging. It will give great detail of what you or passing over and within 150 feet of on either side of the boat. I have found a prop for a buddy once and a large tackle box, rod an reel combo. The image is outstanding. If you would like to see it in actual use give me a call an I will be more than happy to show you.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

1fastmerc 05-13-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tightline11 (Post 431983)
I have the Humminbird Chartplotter with side imaging and down imaging. It will give great detail of what you or passing over and within 150 feet of on either side of the boat. I have found a prop for a buddy once and a large tackle box, rod an reel combo. The image is outstanding. If you would like to see it in actual use give me a call an I will be more than happy to show you.

I may do that. Which one do you have?

1fastmerc 05-13-2012 07:26 PM

Which one is better lowrance or hummingbird?

Canadian Black Bears 05-13-2012 08:16 PM

I have a hummingbird and it is wicked in the small lakes we fish. We use it as a depth finder as the lakes we fish have a lot of shallows with rocks. We don't use this for deep water or huge open water just the small lakes which are approximately 2-3 miles long. Most likely this doesn't help ya out much but just wanted to let ya know the Hummingbird is a wicked product.

jchief 05-13-2012 08:35 PM

I have the Lowrance HDS7. Love it. Can see individual trees, and all kinds of stuff.

I will say, that I have seen Tightlines and it seems to be a little clearer.

Have not seen the new stuff out there to compare. Heard it was real neat.

huntin fool 05-13-2012 08:40 PM

Lowrance gen2 with side and down. Nuff said. Opens up a whole new look on river fishing

RonnieF 05-13-2012 09:11 PM

Here's a pic taken with my iphone of my computer screen after loading the waypoints from my SD card. This was my first time out since installing the units. These are my first SI/DI units so i'm still fine tuning the settings. It's an underwater bridge in San Miguel. If you want, im me and i'll tell you of another site to gather a lot of info on either Lowrance or HB.
Ronniehttp://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2...D550/ry%3D400/

Tightline11 05-14-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1fastmerc (Post 431985)
I may do that. Which one do you have?

HB 898 I think that is the model. It has a 7 inch screen. It about a year old have been thinking of selling it looking at the 10 inch screen.

Canadian Black Bears 05-14-2012 07:20 AM

Wow, I never realized there was such high tech stuff out there. You guys make my little Hummingbird look like the scooter of cadillacs....lol

What kind of waters are you using it them in and what are you fishin?

Texas Tiger 05-14-2012 08:52 AM

Have you seen the new 360 degree view Hummingbird is coming out with?
Supposedly it will work on current side views with a software and transducer update...
may be worth the wait

Canadian Black Bears 05-14-2012 08:57 AM

Great technology

Who would have thunk it....wow, that would definitely be worth the wait if a person is looking to update or buy a new one...amazing what they come up with :)

RonnieF 05-14-2012 10:36 AM

It's amazing technology to say the least!! I just upgraded from 10 year old Garmin color 2D units that were the **** in their day!! I idled around looking so much more than i ever did during my last trip to the camp.
I fish toledo bend often, and south louisiana. Most of the time for largemouth bass.

Ronnie

barbarian 05-14-2012 11:44 AM

Down imaging can be awesome depending on what you are really looking for down there. I still use regular sonar when just worried about the depth. Down imaging can show some amazing detail of brush, rocks, etc. Some people claim they can see bait and such better on color sonar than down imaging though. Not sure if I am good enough to recognize the fish (bait or target) good enough on either.

dmouton272 05-14-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbarian (Post 432207)
Down imaging can be awesome depending on what you are really looking for down there. I still use regular sonar when just worried about the depth. Down imaging can show some amazing detail of brush, rocks, etc. Some people claim they can see bait and such better on color sonar than down imaging though. Not sure if I am good enough to recognize the fish (bait or target) good enough on either.

You and me both.