SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Looking to target jack crevalle (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68809)

tnarg84 09-03-2018 09:19 AM

Looking to target jack crevalle

I'm looking to target jack crevalle for sport. I hear they aren't that great to eat but I'd be willing to try it. I hear lake pontchatrain has plenty of them this time of year. I live in carencro, can anyone give me some info on where to launch at LP coming from carencro and any tips on finding them and what types of bait. I mostly fish for reds around vermillion bay, but have fished all over except LP and anything east of that. Any input would be great, thanks!

Southern Sportsman 09-03-2018 01:08 PM

Look on gulf side of jetties on out going tide at most passes during summer time. That's when I see em, great fighting fish. Better hold on !!!

FF_T_Warren 09-03-2018 02:28 PM

Last year we smoked those suckers on finger croakers in caminada pass in grand isle. Every cast. We caught some big ones. It was like catching blackfin tuna. It was awesome. And it was right at this time of year. Also could’ve caught em on top water they were blowing up schools of baitfish. We caught em on Carolina rig with those croakersand #6-8 circle hooks. Hang on and have a blast

meaux fishing 09-03-2018 04:37 PM

Drop any kind of shiny jig next to a platform in 30-60 ft of water

MathGeek 09-03-2018 09:00 PM

Kinda hit and miss. Be happy if you get into the bull reds targeting them.

Not too bad on the plate.

Fun when you get them. Crazy fighters.

boatdriver 09-04-2018 09:34 AM

Have I missed something in the last few years???? Ya'll saying these fish are good to eat? The last one I cleaned (for an Asian family) had meat redder than a ribeye. Full of blood. I feel like you couldn't bleed a fish like this out. Ya'll really eat this stuff? TO each his own, but people really eat this species of fish?

FF_T_Warren 09-04-2018 09:45 AM

I don’t eat them.

Nickt87 09-04-2018 10:00 AM

LP has a nice launch near the north side of the twin spans. It's called "The Dock". From there you can hit the Twin Span as well as the Highway 11 Bridge if you want structure.

If you can/want to make a longer run in the boat you can head out towards Rigolet's Pass and into Lake Borgne. The NW side of Lake Borgne holds JC and big reds pretty consistently. If you don't want to run that long in the boat Rigolets Marina is right there.

Grand Isle is FULL of Jack's during the summer, just about anywhere you go.

jopete 09-04-2018 10:15 AM

It's been 20 years since I've been there, but we used to hammer the Jacks at Nickel reef southeast of marsh island in the summer.
tore up lots of good tackle. lol

tnarg84 09-04-2018 02:31 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys, my dad caught one years ago in the hammock and I remember chasing that thing with the big motor, and even that took a while. I also am pretty sure I hooked one in dularge, I got spooled really quickly, lol.

meaux fishing 09-04-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatdriver (Post 842373)
Have I missed something in the last few years???? Ya'll saying these fish are good to eat? The last one I cleaned (for an Asian family) had meat redder than a ribeye. Full of blood. I feel like you couldn't bleed a fish like this out. Ya'll really eat this stuff? TO each his own, but people really eat this species of fish?

People that can?t catch good tasting fish eat them

WorldWideSportsman87 09-05-2018 10:37 PM

Every once and awhile I keep one for a sauce picante cause the meat holds together good but 9 times out of 10 I throw it back. It is a very dark meaty fish. Only catch them on accident though which is awesome cause you not expecting it. Caught one in the cove before

Rjrobin2002 09-07-2018 06:38 PM

Easy to catch casting behind a shrimp boat.