SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Push Pole Length (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68209)

Cadrallen 02-22-2018 05:35 PM

Push Pole Length

Is a 12 foot push pole long enough? I do not have a platform and it is an 18ft boat.

Quackhead62 02-22-2018 05:38 PM

I would think it would be I made a push pole out of a 10? piece of Aluminum pipe and it works fine for what I use it for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smooth move 02-22-2018 08:49 PM

i use a 10' pole, but i don't pole for hours. i just use it to get off high spots and push the boat around in tight places. if i was poling for hrs like some of the guides do, i'd want a 16'-20' pole. and a smaller boat. lol.

TidewateR 02-23-2018 02:25 PM

“longer the better”
-she

honestly it’s true though when talking about push poles..the longer the pole, the less you have to reset your pole in the mud for the next push. Also, in some situations flats are criss crossed by canals and deeper bayous where extra push pole length is appreciated. I have a 22’ carbon fiber and wouldn’t have any less, but I pole 90% of the time when fishing. If you plan on poling infrequently, then you can get away with a shorter heavier pole like the traditional duck bill aluminum poles..depends on your application

Cadrallen 02-23-2018 02:41 PM

Thanks, I appreciate your input.

redchaserron 03-01-2018 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TidewateR (Post 832612)
?longer the better?
-she

honestly it?s true though when talking about push poles..the longer the pole, the less you have to reset your pole in the mud for the next push. Also, in some situations flats are criss crossed by canals and deeper bayous where extra push pole length is appreciated. I have a 22? carbon fiber and wouldn?t have any less, but I pole 90% of the time when fishing. If you plan on poling infrequently, then you can get away with a shorter heavier pole like the traditional duck bill aluminum poles..depends on your application

What he said, if you?re going to spend a lot of time doing it longer and lighter is better.

tonyjohn 03-04-2018 08:24 AM

just long enough to lay in the boat but still somewhat out of the way. definitely no longer than the boat.

Cappy 03-04-2018 10:56 AM

12 ft is log enough but as stated longer da better and it can be longer than the boat just tie it in place and watch out for it when running.

captfields_sc 03-21-2018 08:34 PM

Honestly, without a platform you should be fine. As mentioned, the longer the pole, the less effort. By general rule, I usually try to get a push pole that is 2 foot longer than the boat.