SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   minnkota or motor guide? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68505)

cknockahoma 05-27-2018 02:04 PM

minnkota or motor guide?

I am replacing the trolling motor on a 24' Haynie bay boat. I really like the Minnkota Ultegra self deploying one but I've heard that people had trouble with them like deploying at wrong time and not folding back up. I also heard that these problems have been corrected with the latest versions. Anyone have any input on this? Also, I would like to know what people think about the Minnkota I Pilot versus the Motor Guide Xi5 Pinpoint GPS.

bayou fishing 05-27-2018 05:20 PM

Have a good friend that has Minnkota I Pilot. with out the automatic deploying system. He likes it and works good. I fish him when I am not working. He fishes every weekend after turkey season til hunting season. i want to say , he has been having it for 3 or 4 years that i know off.

I do not know any one with the motor guide XiS Pin point GPS.

Hope you get more input.

cknockahoma 05-27-2018 06:20 PM

THanks Bayoutrout

cknockahoma 05-27-2018 06:20 PM

sorry meant Bayou Fishing...thanks

calcutta37 05-27-2018 07:18 PM

Go to Herbert’s look at all the guide boats. You will figure out which one is best.

Pop N Cork 05-29-2018 08:25 AM

You'll never know which is best, for you, until you own both...….I have a Motorguide XI5 on my Center Console and I just bought a Bass boat with a Minkotta w/IPilot. If you want to network with your electronics (which is awesome!!), and have the best Anchor features, Minkotta just ain't got there yet! For General trolling purposes, they're 6 of one, half doz of the other!!! The Minkotta on my Bass boat is for sale and will be replaced with a XI5, when it's out of my life!

Samarai 05-29-2018 11:07 AM

i have a minn kota 80 on 21 ft boat. works better than power pole for holding boat in spot. dont even use power pole now. the auto navigation is also sweet to fish down a bank.

4fish 05-29-2018 12:38 PM

i really really like my xi5

RxHunter 05-29-2018 07:53 PM

Minn Kota hands down. Rarely have a problem with them but cheaper to fix than a Motor Guide if you do.

B Shark 05-30-2018 08:47 AM

Minn Kota i-Pilot, 4 years old, no muss no fuss.

Ranger 05-30-2018 08:53 AM

2006 i-pilot still going strong. Never fixed a thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

shellman 05-30-2018 01:40 PM

I have Rhodan and it works really well.Go to www.Rhodan.com Holds in strong currents when fishing SW pass.GPS is on spot and you can recall anchor spots and it will take you back to same spot when recalled.

cajun bill 05-31-2018 12:10 PM

Can't complain about my MK Ulterra self-deploying. absolutely no problems

cknockahoma 06-01-2018 04:43 PM

Thanks to all who responded. I went with the Minnkota Ulterra. Haven't fished with it yet, but looking forward to it soon!

tonyjohn 06-02-2018 10:18 PM

Good choice , i have a ulterra 80 lb on a 22 ft excel, does a great job

ironworker 06-18-2018 07:06 PM

oh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcutta37 (Post 835876)
Go to Herbert?s look at all the guide boats. You will figure out which one is best.

yeah!!

always look to see what the guides use.........

cuz they are the smartest people on earth.. pffft..

Visco 07-02-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RxHunter (Post 835956)
Minn Kota hands down. Rarely have a problem with them but cheaper to fix than a Motor Guide if you do.

I second that, had my MinnKota come unlatched when I hit a large wave, busted up a lot of internal parts, and after taking it apart, which was also very easy to do, it only cost be $20 in parts to get that thing back up and running. Very simple to upgrade if you wanted to as well. I am about to purchase the 72" shaft.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/buy-parts-online

good luck

I make oil 09-03-2018 02:01 PM

I have a Motorguide Xi5 and have not been very happy with the durability or the battery life of the remote. I?ve always been a Motorguide fan but this one not so much. I?ve had this one for a while so maybe the newer ones are better. My next trolling motor will be a minkotta or a Rhodan.

marshrunner757 09-03-2018 09:36 PM

Just bought a minn kota terrova riptide 80#. I wonder now how I fished without it. Complete game changer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

captfields_sc 09-07-2018 11:13 AM

Love my motorguide xi5. Durability is great and I have been abusing them for 2 years now. The pinpoint gps is spot on. I've been right beside competing brands in other boats in heavy current and have left many impressed. I can sit back at the console reading my sonar chart 1ft contours on the maps in my chartplotter and navigate the water effectively for clients or friends to fish. The only downside is the 3A battery in the remote. As long as I have spare batteries with me now, it's not really a problem and the life does last a good while. I do wish it was a rechargeable type remote, but I can deal with it for I do love the trolling motor.