SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Panthers in Sabine/Rockafeller Refuges (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60658)

Pat Babaz 07-06-2015 12:20 PM

Panthers in Sabine/Rockafeller Refuges

So a guy I work with remembers seeing a picture on the news after Rita or maybe Ike of 2 panthers stranded in a tallow tree due to flooding. He said it was either at Rockafeller or Sabine refuge. I've looked all over the internet and can't find a picture like that. Does anybody else remember seeing or hearing about this??

capt coonassty 07-06-2015 12:29 PM

Ive heard that a squatch in a tree could be mistaken for two panthers. According to this site this is more likely then panthers.

Uncle Barty 07-06-2015 12:33 PM

I have a picture of this wild rarely seen creature...around here we call it a "Dustin Hansen"...let me see if I can find it

Renegade 07-06-2015 12:43 PM

Panthers Expanding in Florida

People laugh and joke about sightings of panthers in Louisiana, but I'm convinced I saw one about twenty years ago. No amount of ridicule made me change my mind about what I believe I saw.

Mr T 07-06-2015 12:58 PM

Every year 2-3 cougars are seen on trail cams in Louisiana. Most believe they are young males from the Florida or Texas breeding populations, searching for their own territory.
When you say "panther", I hope you are not referring to "Black Panthers". Cougars do not have black color phases, only Jaguars do and they are not found anywhere near LOuisiana.
But to answer your question, I do not remember that but it would not surprise me.

fishfighter 07-06-2015 01:38 PM

!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr T (Post 762324)
Every year 2-3 cougars are seen on trail cams in Louisiana. Most believe they are young males from the Florida or Texas breeding populations, searching for their own territory.
When you say "panther", I hope you are not referring to "Black Panthers". Cougars do not have black color phases, only Jaguars do and they are not found anywhere near LOuisiana.
But to answer your question, I do not remember that but it would not surprise me.

the cougar you are referring to is also know as a "FLORIDA PANTHER"

saute86 07-06-2015 05:54 PM

I have been seeing them for years off Hickory Creek south of Deridder. I have seen 7 over the years. First one was in the late 90's. It was black. I have seen one each year over the last 3 years. They were all within a 100 yards. I watched them cross a pipeline all from the same stand. I know what I saw. When you see their tail you will know what I am talking about.

Clampy 07-06-2015 07:33 PM

Morons will argue til the death that cougars can be black.
Louisiana definitely has some cougars for sure. Not a lot but they around.

Smalls 07-06-2015 07:47 PM

Not going to say BLACK panthers aren't possible, but I've never met someone who I trust to positively identify one.

Now, Florida panthers I wouldn't doubt. I believe that historically they did occur in Louisiana.

That being said, I would imagine the "panthers" in the original post were cougars. Its possible that there could have been a few in Cameron around the time of the hurricanes, although I would think there would have been more observations of the cats prior to the storm. Two large cats, even in a very large marsh, would be hard to miss.

meaux fishing 07-06-2015 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clampy (Post 762399)

Black cougar....
Attachment 90518

Clampy 07-06-2015 08:57 PM

I stand corrected

Clampy 07-06-2015 08:57 PM

I wouldn't mind having her on trail cam

Andy C 07-06-2015 09:25 PM

We, got big black cats here! Not sure what they are. But would think la. Would have them too.

Clampy 07-06-2015 09:55 PM

The only big cat species that can turn black is a jaguar.

"W" 07-06-2015 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had a brown cougar hammer me this weekend !! Sucker came out of nowhere

saute86 07-06-2015 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clampy (Post 762399)

Trust me I am no moron. Its guys like you who give this site a bad name insulting members character.

Renegade 07-06-2015 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clampy (Post 762431)
The only big cat species that can turn black is a jaguar.

Isn't it true that albinism and melanism are both recessive traits? Just as we have white tigers and white lions, shouldn't it also be possible to have black tigers, black lions and even ... black panthers?

Melanism is more rare than albinism, but I don't see why it would occur only in jaguars as you claim.

Melanistic animals

BossHog 07-06-2015 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Babaz (Post 762316)
So a guy I work with remembers seeing a picture on the news after Rita or maybe Ike of 2 panthers stranded in a tallow tree due to flooding. He said it was either at Rockafeller or Sabine refuge. I've looked all over the internet and can't find a picture like that. Does anybody else remember seeing or hearing about this??

I remember what your talking about. It was after Ike and it was the Ldwf that reported seeing two cougers in the gum cove area from a helicopter I think but I never saw any pics. I had a lease there at that same time for years with trail cameras and never saw any. But we have seen a couple in the grand lake/sweet lake area over the years but none for several years now. And even seen trailcam pics of them in pecan island.

Clampy 07-07-2015 07:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They just can't
I'm no scientist but I can read what they write.

The thing is most cougar sightings are early morning and at night. They are rarely out in the open and they can easily look very dark in color and the sighting is almost always a couple secs. So people's minds play tricks on them.
Chances of one being black are over 1 in a million but drunk people coon hunting see at least 10 a year.
Attachment 90525

Duck Butter 07-07-2015 07:23 AM

There have been a few confirmed sightings in Louisiana of wild mountain lions not Florida Panthers which are just a subspecies. Have been multiple confirmations of captive bred Cougars alao. The one on display in the ldwf headquarters in Baton Rouge was killed near Shreveport and was of captive origin. Never ever been a confirmed black mountain lion or Florida panther