SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Reds in The Surf (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67324)

Baitdunker 07-15-2017 03:59 PM

Reds in The Surf

Been catching reds in the surf Holly Beach to Johnson Bayou the past few years and still trying to figure out what time of year they really start coming in to the beach. I have heard it starts in August and runs through end of October or so. Sound right? Struck out this past Friday so maybe too soon yet?

By the way I found a surfing website that is FANTASTIC at predicting surf conditions at Holly Beach. It is Surf-forecast.com or something like that.

cajun 07-15-2017 04:11 PM

Thanks for the info.
Here's the link for Holly Beach.

http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/...latest/six_day

Baitdunker 07-15-2017 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for posting link. I wasn't sure how to.

Also not sure how to attach a photo but this is a gar from last weekend at Holly Beach. Just over 4ft. If it comes through...........

fishhawk 07-16-2017 10:40 AM

The best days I've had at holly beach was in oct., cold rain, windy, air temp. 65 w/ 3-4' swells (over 50 bull's for 3 people). But I believe after 2-3 cold fronts have blown in it's good.
Reds caught in fall/winter don't fight near as hard as summer red's. So do you want numbers or action?

Baitdunker 07-28-2017 07:40 AM

Was at the beach again yesterday - still nothing going on. A few hard heads was it. In 2015 I started catching them around 3rd week in august. But I don't want to wait another month to have one lean on the rod!

duckman1911 08-03-2017 06:12 PM

A few years back we went the Friday after thanksgiving. We didn't have much time to fish that evening but caught 8 in the 24/26 inch range. Spent the night in sulfur and was back on the beach at dawn and it was nonstop. At noon the family had limited on 24/26 inch reds also had black drum and gafftops. We left em biting. 120qt and 50qt ice chest full. Had another ice chest but it had the beer. Gotta have priorities ;)

Flex 08-03-2017 10:15 PM

I've never caught any reds in the surf. May have to give a shot over thanksgiving when I'm down.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

ckinchen 08-04-2017 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckman1911 (Post 824478)
A few years back we went the Friday after thanksgiving. We didn't have much time to fish that evening but caught 8 in the 24/26 inch range. Spent the night in sulfur and was back on the beach at dawn and it was nonstop. At noon the family had limited on 24/26 inch reds also had black drum and gafftops. We left em biting. 120qt and 50qt ice chest full. Had another ice chest but it had the beer. Gotta have priorities ;)

That sounds like a good after duck hunting trip.

Feesherman 08-04-2017 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 824498)
That sounds like a good after duck hunting trip.

No it doesn't. A good after duck hunt trip is sippin a toddy or 2 while cleaning ducks then head home for a nice nap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ckinchen 08-04-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feesherman (Post 824499)
No it doesn't. A good after duck hunt trip is sippin a toddy or 2 while cleaning ducks then head home for a nice nap.

Can't argue that either. We plan to fish a lot after hunting trips and usually end up taking a nap.

Feesherman 08-04-2017 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 824500)
Can't argue that either. We plan to fish a lot after hunting trips and usually end up taking a nap.

I don't fish during huntin season. Only reason I fish is because I'm out of things to hunt