SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Youth Duck Hunt (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22167)

ckinchen 08-16-2011 09:05 AM

Youth Duck Hunt

My son will be nine this year and he wants to go duck hunting. I bought a trip at our tournament this year and I plan to book one with HR&G. Those of you that know me know that I fish all of the time but I have not hunted in over a decade or more. I grew up deer and squirrel hunting and I have never duck hunted so this year will be a first for me as well.

I will need to buy my son a gun, I think he will be sensitive to anything that has intense recoil. I was leaning towards a youth model 20 gauge pump, what do you guys recommend and do you think he is too young to start hunting?

Top Dawg 08-16-2011 09:08 AM

Brought my fiancé little girl on her first duck hunt at 6 years old. Killed two ducks one on the fly. They're never too young. Just make sure he gets lots of practice shooting before hand and even more gun safety training.

RatherBFishin 08-16-2011 09:10 AM

I think it is great that you are getting him into hunting. I think you are right on track with thte youth model 20 gauge. I would take him can shooting before the hunt if I were you. Buy some light load 2 3/4 shells and some ear plugs for him. That way he can get used to the gun and the noise. Don't be like my dad and buy 3 in shells for his duck hunt lol. Good luck!

meaux fishing 08-16-2011 09:13 AM

I would take him to a gun store and let him pick out the gun that fits him best. Otherwise he might get a gun he doesn't like shooting and therefore not get into hunting

meaux fishing 08-16-2011 09:17 AM

X2 on the safety training... Make sure he understands shooting lanes and how important they are

hankscke123 08-16-2011 09:21 AM

hey casey i bought a 28 guage bps youth for my 3 year old grandson i guess i couldnt pass up deal.but if you want ill let you use it and let him shoot it shells are kinda expencive but he u can use it this season and return when u r done with it.if it will help get another youth involved in hunting im game.

pmckee318 08-16-2011 09:29 AM

gun

Hey Casey, I put Matthew in a blind New Years day with Brett Stansel, he is so good with kids you cant go wrong. He Brett and son n law Brent limited out by 7:45. Just got his cupped green head back yesterday. Matthew is alot bigger but I rec. the heavier the gun the less recoil and auto loaders have less recoil. Matthew used Grampas old Belgium BR5 "Hump back" heavy as hell but he was able to shot magnum loads no problem. Plus if you get him a heavy auto he'll never need another for any game.

pmckee318 08-16-2011 09:30 AM

safety course

Don't forget the hunters safety course is mandatory.

pmckee318 08-16-2011 09:39 AM

hunters safety

Don't foreget, cause between Baseball and Football its hard to get the course in. It they only offer it on certain dates in certain areas. We were always missing a course b/c of ball.
Quote:

Originally Posted by pmckee318 (Post 307243)
Don't forget the hunters safety course is mandatory.

ckinchen 08-16-2011 09:44 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the help. The semi-auto would kick less, you guys think I should go that route? My first gun was a pump for safety reasons.

I agree on the safety course, I will look into it today.

Micah 08-16-2011 09:51 AM

[QUOTE=ckinchen;307250]Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the help. The semi-auto would kick less, you guys think I should go that route? My first gun was a pump for safety reasons.

I agree on the safety course, I will look into it today.

A pump would only be safer if he never pumped it. If you are worried about safety with the auto, when yall go practice, only put one shell in the gun and make him get used to ALWAYS putting safety on when done shooting.

meathauler 08-16-2011 09:51 AM

Those pump guns kick pretty good compared to a semi since there is nothing to absorb the shock except the shoulder. If it kicks, he will then begin to flintch and so on. Only give him one shell for safety purpose until he is confident enough to earn two of them.

jchief 08-16-2011 09:58 AM

I would go the auto route also.

Now is the time to get him shooting though. Find some where to shoot skeet to get him used to shooting a moving/flying target. Maybe even a dove hunt as a warm up.

ckinchen 08-16-2011 10:10 AM

What about a teal hunt since that season is about to start? I know HR&G offers teal trips.

I make oil 08-16-2011 10:11 AM

I bought both of my boys the Franci 20ga semi from Acadamy. It is a good deal for the money and does not kick bad at all. I also have to recommend the Hunters safety course and get him out shooting before the season. Duck hunting is a addiction. Worse even than fishing.

Micah 08-16-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckinchen (Post 307273)
What about a teal hunt since that season is about to start? I know HR&G offers teal trips.

You bring him teal huntin and he will be hooked....just know the skeeters are really bad.

SULPHITE 08-16-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsh Boy (Post 307279)
You bring him teal huntin and he will be hooked....just know the skeeters are really bad.

x2

joshdomingue 08-16-2011 10:19 AM

I would recommend a berretta youth 20 ga ....... very lite and very little recoil ...... but i would let him pick out his own gun, something that feels comfortable to him and get both of you a therma cell for teal season.

Super Spook 08-16-2011 10:36 AM

This is a nice little youth gun by mossberg -http://mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=41&section=products

I would take him to a gun shop and see how they fit on his shoulder. I would also maybe take him to shoot clays first.

Kelly Haydel puts on a Waterfowl Camp every summer at his camp in Sweet Lake. I usually help with it. If he is fired up and you are interested let me know.

SULPHITE 08-16-2011 10:39 AM

Dang Casey you just stirred up a us duck hunters like a bed of ants! LOL!! Passion son!