SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   War Eagle or XPress for Surface Drive (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65197)

Big Hutch 08-15-2016 08:26 AM

War Eagle or XPress for Surface Drive

I need some advice. I joined a new marsh lease and I am upgrading from my 9hp Go Devil long tail to a 23 HP Go Devil surface drive since the distance to my blind increased from 1/4 mile to 2.5 miles. I have an opportunity to purchase a like new GDSD at a very reasonable price so that is why I am choosing this particular surface drive. I'm not interested in speed other than that I would like more speed than the 9hp would provide.

Here's my question. I have 2 boats I own on which I could mount the 23 GDSD. I have a 15' 42" War Eagle and a 15' 46" Xpress. Both are flat bottom boats. The War Eagle has a modified vee bow vs the flat bow of the XPress. The War Eagle seems to be a stronger made boat as far as bracing of the transom but both are listed as .80 gauge. The War Eagle has taller gunnels but is a little heavier. I will be running canals and across an open lake in 12"-24" of water. Sometimes 3 men plus gear through vegetation like dollar lilies and wigeon grass but not the super thick stuff.

What is your honest opinion about which boat would be better suited for the 23 GDSD?

Sorry for the information overload.

Thanks for the advice.
Robbie aka Big Hutch

Natural Light Kid 08-15-2016 09:23 AM

I'd just give up the lease and not fight it. I'll be happy to help you out. All kidding aside, i'd go with the express. Wider is better.

Big Hutch 08-15-2016 09:38 AM

You're all heart Kid ... LOL!!

Thanks for the input.

meaux fishing 08-17-2016 10:07 AM

War Eagle or XPress for Surface Drive

War eagles are better constructed than xpress. I've never heard of the welds cracking on them. Can't say the same for xpress

BGcoreg 08-17-2016 02:59 PM

Mod V might keep you a little dryer going across that open water on a windy day, and that's a large load for that size boat. I realize speed isn't what your after but it can be done .. I wouldn't worry too much about the thickness beings that your in the Marsh and shouldn't hit any obstructions ..
Is it tidal?

-C Kirk

Quackhead62 08-17-2016 04:49 PM

I've seen lots of mud motors on both. Like said above I'd go with the mod V if you crossing open water, you will definitely stay dryer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Hutch 08-18-2016 03:07 PM

Corey,

It isn't tidal in the true sense of tidal. It is brackish and is now pretty much shut off from saltwater.

Thanks for the input.
Robbie aka Big Hutch

Big Hutch 08-18-2016 03:14 PM

Bob,

The fact that War Eagle is a much sturdier built boat and transom is very apparent. I have owned the War Eagle since 1997. That is the boat I would prefer to use. I just wish my War Eagle was a little wider at the bottom. The weird thing is the War Eagle is wider across the gunnels and is deeper than the XPress.

THE XPress does perform better with just 2 guys and my 9 hp long tail but I think that is because the XPress is a lighter weight boat.

Thanks for the input.
Robbie aka Big Hutch

Big Hutch 08-18-2016 03:15 PM

Quack Head,

All I know is the XPress will get you wet in a chop with 3 guys and hunting gear.

Thanks for the input.
Robbie aka Big Hutch

Quackhead62 08-18-2016 03:24 PM

I'm use to my 17X54 Prodrive boat is pretty wet in some rough water so I'm use to getting wet. I really think either boat will be a wet ride depending on the conditions. I think either will run fine for the conditions you are describing IMO

Quackhead62 08-18-2016 03:25 PM

Another thing to take into consideration is the transom angle and height that may effect the performance of the motor more than anything.

Big Hutch 08-18-2016 03:36 PM

Since I am ignorant about surface drives please elaborate. All I know is you have to match the transom height aka short transom model with a short transom boat. I don't know much more than that and I'm not really certain what the difference is or how it effects anything.

Thanks
Robbie aka Big Hutch

Quackhead62 08-18-2016 03:44 PM

You are correct that will matter. If the angle is off it won't run right in other words might not have the performance you should get or may not get on plane. You could always add shims to to correct the angle.

BGcoreg 08-18-2016 04:34 PM

Robbie I asked about tidal because I was curious if you would ever get in some real shallow mud.
Any widgeon grass ?
How's the blind setup or any boat hides?

Big Hutch 08-18-2016 06:06 PM

Corey,

If we go a long time without rain there are spots that could get low but nothing like mud flats. We have widgeon grass in the pond but currently it isn't a thick mat.

The blind is a platform blind. Currently it doesn't have a boat hide but it is a short walk to the grass at the edge of the pond and the bottom seems good. We may add a boat hide if we need it.

I am excited about hunting this marsh. It has a long history of excellent hunting.

Robbie aka Big Hutch.

Quackhead62 08-18-2016 06:58 PM

Where you hunting Big Hutch?

BGcoreg 08-19-2016 03:47 PM

Glad you could get in a good spot!

Big Hutch 08-19-2016 10:11 PM

Corey,

I can't say if the pond / blind is good or bad but, as you know, being in a good lease with good people is always good. I am looking forward to this season.

Let um land 08-20-2016 08:23 PM

Surface Drive

The idle boat for any surface drive is 16' minimum. You can get away with a 15' boat as long as it's just a light load. Width with the boats you mentioned is not a big deal, it doesn't matter if you plan on putting anything more than yourself and ya hunting gear. They will all just plow thru the water. If they are ribbed bottom boats, mount the motor 1" off center to the left, to get the motor offset of the center rib. I've had two set up's like this, it's the little things that make the boat.

Natural Light Kid 08-21-2016 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Let um land (Post 804412)
The idle boat for any surface drive is 16' minimum. You can get away with a 15' boat as long as it's just a light load. Width with the boats you mentioned is not a big deal, it doesn't matter if you plan on putting anything more than yourself and ya hunting gear. They will all just plow thru the water. If they are ribbed bottom boats, mount the motor 1" off center to the left, to get the motor offset of the center rib. I've had two set up's like this, it's the little things that make the boat.

Interesting. I had a MB hyperdrive on a ribbed bottom boat with the motor centered on the trsnsom. Im about to rig a Prodrive on a 17/56 Alweld. What does setting the motor an inch off of the rib do?