SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Transom mounted trolling motors??? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19770)

booyagasha 06-16-2011 05:56 AM

Transom mounted trolling motors???

anyone have had one mounted on their transom? what about the Lenco/Motorguide Trim Tab Trolling motors? a lil pricey but seems to me, best of both worlds...

my boat is a center console v-hull, and has the bow rails up front. I know that transom mounted trolling motors work differently from bow mounted ones, but lets hear some experiences .....how easy to use, ease of install? price also, whats a good bang for the buck?.....also, this helps because i can get ashorter shafted trolling motor, than if it was on the front. thanks

Keywest18 06-16-2011 11:00 PM

i use one on my lil 15' skiff and its nice till the wind catches the front of the boat.if there was a way to mount it on the bow it would have been up there along time ago

iron man 06-16-2011 11:04 PM

Exactly what thegr8cody said. My cousin and his buddy were out fishing in Dularge behind us and we had a 70lb Minn Kota on the bow and they had dual transon trolling motors, they ran the batteries (24volt) down in 2 hours trying to move in 10-20 mph wind. They had to start up and almost overheat their big motor to get out. This wad in about 1 foot of water. They wound up tying up to someones dock and jumped in our boat.

booyagasha 06-16-2011 11:28 PM

dang...

iron man 06-16-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booyagasha (Post 270404)
dang...

you can't mount one on the front of your boat? or you could with some cutting?

booyagasha 06-17-2011 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iron man (Post 270405)
you can't mount one on the front of your boat? or you could with some cutting?

for the front, i have bow rails...i would need to cut the "nose of the bow rail" where it makes the v---

here's the same boat with the mod done...another problem would be i would have to get a much longer trolling motor=more mulah

Dink 06-17-2011 06:14 AM

Just drift and anchor. That's what I do

booyagasha 06-17-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dink (Post 270450)
Just drift and anchor. That's what I do

I catch your drift...lol...

TidalSurge 06-20-2011 10:00 PM

I like my transom mount. I run a Blackjack so you need a mount that sets it back. This is the one I use.
http://www.birdsallmarine.com/deck-m...ket-p-267.html

booyagasha 06-20-2011 10:02 PM

Got a pic.?? How it perform in the wind

TidalSurge 06-20-2011 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can see the mount in this pic. It works out nice.

Attachment 21100

TidalSurge 06-20-2011 10:09 PM

It is prob easier to control in the front I admit. But I do not beat mine up in rough water and in rough conditions it stays in the water. Most people like it in front but this is just my opinion. So its hard to say what you would like. Also I Guide so I need it in the back it gives the customers the front of the boat.

TidalSurge 06-20-2011 10:15 PM

Another tip. Buy the biggest one that you can. I have the 36v 101lb thrust. If they made a 150lb thrust model I would buy it. If you get 24v or 12v just get the biggest one in that voltage. Not sure how big your baot is but do not undersize your trolling motor.

booyagasha 06-20-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TidalSurge (Post 272383)
Another tip. Buy the biggest one that you can. I have the 36v 101lb thrust. If they made a 150lb thrust model I would buy it. If you get 24v or 12v just get the biggest one in that voltage. Not sure how big your baot is but do not undersize your trolling motor.

got a 18.5 striper vhull...its similar to your boat but more v and deadrise. my problem is although similar to a bay boat, it drafts more , and with a bigger motor and extra gas --im pretty sure the skeg is alot lower.......and in these areas that doesnt match up well, the front of my boat has tall bow rails all aroound the front, similar to boston whalers boats--so bow mounting trolling motors is somewhat out the question. I figure with a trolling motor, i'd be able to get into the 12-16'' waters and be able to get out without dredging my way out.

im gonna look up some what do you reccommend. Birthday's coming up

SaltyShaw 06-20-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booyagasha (Post 272388)
got a 18.5 striper vhull...its similar to your boat but more v and deadrise. my problem is although similar to a bay boat, it drafts more , and with a bigger motor and extra gas --im pretty sure the skeg is alot lower.......and in these areas that doesnt match up well, the front of my boat has tall bow rails all aroound the front, similar to boston whalers boats--so bow mounting trolling motors is somewhat out the question. I figure with a trolling motor, i'd be able to get into the 12-16'' waters and be able to get out without dredging my way out.

im gonna look up some what do you reccommend. Birthday's coming up

80lb 24 volt should do you fine, my opinion anything over 20' should have a 101 on it
I have a Minn Kota Riptide 80 on my 18.4 Blue Wave and it jerks it around nicely. Also invest in an on board batt charger, so worth it!! I only have a 2 bank and it's on my trolling batts no need to have one on my cranking batt I haven't charged it since I bought my boat and still goin strong with radio, gps, talon and livewell sucking off the cranking batt

TidalSurge 06-20-2011 10:31 PM

I have had better luck with Minn Kota. That's kinda like Chevy or Ford. They both have there good points. I like the mount on the Motor Guide better but the shaft and electronics board on the Minn Kota. They are both good just whichever you prefer. Bigger is better in my opinion.
Good Luck hope you find one you like.

Dink 06-20-2011 10:31 PM

Salty in 3.....2.....1.....

TidalSurge 06-20-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltyShaw (Post 272401)
80lb 24 volt should do you fine, my opinion anything over 20' should have a 101 on it
I have a Minn Kota Riptide 80 on my 18.4 Blue Wave and it jerks it around nicely. Also invest in an on board batt charger, so worth it!! I only have a 2 bank and it's on my trolling batts no need to have one on my cranking batt I haven't charged it since I bought my boat and still goin strong with radio, gps, talon and livewell sucking off the cranking batt

What he said. 80 prob work Ok on your boat. And definatly onboard charger. I just back into shop plug cord into side of my console and I am done.

TidalSurge 06-20-2011 10:35 PM

The black circle right below speaker in the pic is where the extension cord plugs in.

booyagasha 06-20-2011 10:45 PM

damn that's sweet. how do yall control the trolling motor, remote? footpedal? tiller handle wouldnt work for me, my boat has a motor well, and swim platforms on boat side of the transom