SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boating Talk (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   troubleshoot electrical (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67378)

Gman 07-26-2017 10:16 AM

troubleshoot electrical

looking for someone who is good at troubleshooting boat electrical. any recomendations?

Feesherman 07-26-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gman (Post 824082)
looking for someone who is good at troubleshooting boat electrical. any recomendations?

What's the problem? Usually not very difficult.

Cappy 07-26-2017 02:44 PM

usually its either the battery or the conections to the battery thats where any one would start looking.

MFD489 07-26-2017 03:15 PM

Gauge Issues

i also have a crazy problem that i am scratching my head over. My fuel/speedometer for my Yamaha 150 is just been replaced. The fuel level was flashing, so i thought the tank level sensor was stuck. I replaced with a new tube style float gauge and ran a new wire to the sensor and the gauge. now the gauge only lights up but no numbers,voltage or fuel level lights up. un plugged and re-plugged all wire and splices at factory connections to wire harness. any other suggestions. The back light for the gauge lights up.

MFD489 07-26-2017 03:16 PM

Gauge Issues

I also have a crazy problem that I am scratching my head over. My fuel/speedometer for my Yamaha 150 is just been replaced. The fuel level was flashing, so i thought the tank level sensor was stuck, everything else worked fine. I replaced with a new tube style float gauge and ran a new wire to the sensor and the gauge. now the gauge only lights up but no numbers,voltage or fuel level lights up. unplugged and re-plugged all wire and splices at factory connections to wire harness. any other suggestions. The back light for the gauge lights up.

cajun bill 07-26-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cappy (Post 824095)
usually its either the battery or the conections to the battery thats where any one would start looking.

Check all your grounds, that's where I normally find my problems.

Cappy 07-26-2017 05:26 PM

Ya right man my last confusing problem turned out to be a faulty ground wire too. took me a whole afternoon and a six pack to figure it out and thats when I hadda use my phone a friend option. Remember the more complicated something is the more stuff to go wrong.

wishin i was fishin 07-26-2017 05:56 PM

What is the problem you are seeing? you will get a better recommendation if describe your problem.

MFD489 07-31-2017 07:44 AM

rechecked gauge

removed switch panel and disconnected all wires going to gauge. No change to issue. so i unplugged sending unit wires still no change. only thing i can think of is i blew out speedometer hose to gauge. Could the gauge be blow out?+:confused:

eman 07-31-2017 11:33 AM

When i had a bay boat i had a similar problem opened up the inspection hatch for my in floor tank and on the top towards one side there was a ground wire loose . tightened it up . solved problem.

murfdawg 07-31-2017 06:03 PM

Doug at Bowtie Marina in LC. Electrical savant. 337-478-0130