SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Freshwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Lake Chicot (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35170)

fishnla 08-18-2012 02:14 AM

Lake Chicot

Any news from Chicot lately or maybe just a heads up about what to look for in September. I've never been bass fishing there, only white perch, and thats been 12 years ago.

kwc1975 08-18-2012 09:26 AM

its a hard lake to fish gotta be slow with the bass use a brushhog and fish every stump slowly thats about all i can give you info for there

fishnla 08-18-2012 10:00 AM

How bout the duck weeds, Ive read that sometimes it gets so bad people don't like you use there boat in it. Anyone know if its alright right now?

moe1967 08-18-2012 11:19 AM

Duck Weed has been in check the last couple of years. IMO, the poison they used to kill it also screwed up the water.

Try dynamite!
And then thats no guarantee either

fishnla 08-18-2012 11:51 AM

So your saying the fishing is pretty easy over there. lol.

moe1967 08-18-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnla (Post 479456)

The toughest lake you will ever fish. Should be named Humble Lake. High pressured, Florida strain bass. Its a great combination.:pissed::spineyes:

Should be quiet in Sept, with the hunters hunting. Hopefully a little cool front or two has passed.

My best advice would be to be stealthy. Think quality, not quantity. Chances are you will be fishing for 3 or 4 bites. But one of them may be the bite of a lifetime. Rumor has it that samplings done last year yielded some very large fish. Many double digit fish. As well as at least one record breaking size fish. They just can't be fooled, lol. I have very strong reasons to believe this to actually be true.

Good luck

fishnla 08-18-2012 04:13 PM

Thanks for all the help. Couple guys in our club probably would rather go somewhere they are guaranteed a limit of fish, but I'm really excited about this one. One, just for the challenge, and two, it will make me slow down and fish for that one big bite that I normally would miss cause I'm in a rush.

BIG-C 08-18-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnla (Post 479456)

I live near chicot and like the other post says it's a tough place but you may catch the fish of a lifetime there. A co-worker of mine caught and released a bass over 10lbs last spring. Sacalait fishing is ok in the fall,good luck.

fishnla 08-18-2012 09:15 PM

thanks for the info

hunter44i8 08-18-2012 09:34 PM

Saw a video with Greg Hackney fishing there and he was pitching a jig he cought several but i dont know how many days he fished to make the show let us know how u do i want to make a trip there also

fishnla 08-18-2012 09:41 PM

Will do, but i'm not going untill september 22nd. unless I might make it for a prefish day.

moe1967 08-19-2012 02:49 AM

Is this an open tournament?

fishnla 08-19-2012 03:59 AM

No. Its a little club tournament. We had a last minute change to Chicot. We were gonna do another Sabine River, but there are to many different rules all on one body of water there, so we decided against that. And people didn't like putting there boats in that salty of water.

jpeff31787 08-19-2012 07:36 AM

I used to fish chicot every weekend. One thing I learned was that spinnerbaits always caught big fish in that lake. I have a few friends with double digit fish caught in
Chicot on stupid spinnerbaits. I know they are a dummy bait, but for some reason in that lake, big fish live them.

fishnla 08-19-2012 07:56 AM

I guess thats good for my partner, but dang I hate a spinnerbait. I always have one tyed on, but that rod might not get cast more that 10 to 20 times in a day.

ScubaLatt 08-19-2012 10:08 AM

read on LAS that one guy is tearing up the sac au lait there. read it on LAS.

fishnla 08-19-2012 11:48 AM

Yeah we used to go there when I was in high school and catch some nice slabs. But I'm looking into it now for bass, cause we just chose it as a club stop.

jpeff31787 08-19-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnla (Post 479868)
I guess thats good for my partner, but dang I hate a spinnerbait. I always have one tyed on, but that rod might not get cast more that 10 to 20 times in a day.

Haha I hear ya buddy! I see you live in lake Charles? I'll be living in a hotel over there for the next year or so. If you ever want to hook up in the late afternoon and go hit some bass let me know. I should have a couple rods on me, but can't promise I'll have many baits.

fishnla 08-19-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpeff31787 (Post 479998)
Haha I hear ya buddy! I see you live in lake Charles? I'll be living in a hotel over there for the next year or so. If you ever want to hook up in the late afternoon and go hit some bass let me know. I should have a couple rods on me, but can't promise I'll have many baits.

Sounds good, but I'm putting a new foot on my motor and gonna sell. My wife started school so I'm selling to help us till she is done. I've been fishing with a buddy for a couple months now. If i get if fixed and don't sell immidiately i'll definately keep you in mind.

fishnla 08-20-2012 06:28 PM

Now that we have set the date for our tournament at Chicot, anyone know about the cabins? Are they pretty nice? I think they reserved two of them for us.