SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Freshwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Spanish Lake (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57620)

Fishmaster19 12-10-2014 10:32 AM

Spanish Lake

Anyone ever fish Spanish lake? It's barely 5 minutes from my house so it's be a great place for a quick trip sometimes. I've just never heard anyone talk about fishing it...

yigodiver 12-10-2014 10:33 AM

I have heard but cannot verify, it used to be a very good Sac fishery.
Last I heard some catfish, it too is very close to my house, and I now have a small boat that can get out there.

jpeff31787 12-10-2014 10:33 AM

go and let us know man! I've been intrigued by that place too, but its like 40 minutes from my house. Since I moved, the closest thing to me is vermillion river, which I hear isn't as bad as I thought, so I need to go find some green trout in there

Bson 12-10-2014 11:05 AM

I fished it once. Caught 1 goo. It is a pretty lake, and looks fishy, but we didn't have any luck and didn't go back.

Clampy 12-10-2014 11:10 AM

It use to be good. Got hit hard by fishing pressure and I don't think it ever recovered. Unless you want cats and chopique

wishin i was fishin 12-10-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clampy (Post 732106)
It use to be good. Got hit hard by fishing pressure and I don't think it ever recovered. Unless you want cats and chopique

Yep, they keep dredging it and it keeps filling back up. i gave it a running shot years back. the most i ever caught in that lake at one time was a small bass and a turd hustler.

Montauk17 12-10-2014 03:14 PM

Don't waste your time. Like already mentioned it got hit hard by pressure and they never restocked it. Also very little structure in the lake. Years ago there was a bunch of trees and they either died or they removed them.

latravcha 12-10-2014 03:56 PM

Back in the late 90' early 2000's it was great fishing. I worked about 3 miles for Spanish Lake and I would fish it 2 or 3 days a week after work. Then came the multiple articles from LSM and the was the end of that lake. To the best of my knowledge it never made a comeback.

jopete 12-11-2014 05:38 AM

yep, it was full of fish after they redid the wind breaks and restocked the lake somewhere around 1990. lots of sacs. lots of carp too. probly still has some 10# bass in it, u just got to figure out how to catch them.
after the sportsman said that any idiot could catch all the fish he wanted too in spanish lake, they all came and fished the lake out. lol
the 'locals' that live around the lake are a bunch of azzhats as well.

today the windbreaks have all eroded and the lake is prettymuch one big open area. if you can find some holes/dropoffs, stumps, old blinds, or sink a sack of crawfish bait and fish over it, u might just do some good.

btw, the crackheads used to be bad at the landing about breaking into your truck. bring a pistol with you when u go.

Duffy.yyz 12-11-2014 08:59 AM

Where exactly is Spanish Lake? Just want to make sure I am looking at the correct place. I don't live anywhere near it, I don't think, but I am just curious.

Nitramiii 12-11-2014 10:12 AM

New Iberia, off of HWY 182

Duffy.yyz 12-11-2014 10:37 AM

Good lawd....they got some blinds on that lake.

RyanT 12-15-2014 04:08 PM

Better place to duck hunt that to fish. If you go out there I have found it good if you take a left when you leave the launch and go the end of the lake on the left side along all of the trees.

speck-chaser 12-17-2014 12:02 AM

Hear they supposed to drain the lake down again here soon.

jopete 12-17-2014 08:04 AM

if they drain the lake again. it would be a good idea to go dipnet up all the sacalait and bass you want. they will be stacked up once the water is down.
i remember the local,bass clubs trying to save all the big bass last time they redid the lake.
i showed up with a fillet knife. lol

The shop in Broussard 12-17-2014 10:47 PM

There ain't no fish in Spanish lake, the locals rape that lake. Those a-holes don't throw shiìt back. The keep everything that moves and every time I go I see foreigners getting busy with dip nets on the bank, it looks like price lake road but they not crabbing, they're after grass shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Waterbug 01-15-2015 07:16 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I've been eyeballing that lake for a while now. I might just go anyway it is a good lookin lake