SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Lil Red..... (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67958)

lil bubba 12-10-2017 03:42 PM

Lil Red.....

1 Attachment(s)
Lil redfish sauce picant'e.......

Cappy 12-10-2017 05:12 PM

Looks great Buba its the only ole gravy that uses tomatoes and roux bout the most complex sauce the ole folks usta make.

lil bubba 12-10-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cappy (Post 829860)
Looks great Buba its the only ole gravy that uses tomatoes and roux bout the most complex sauce the ole folks usta make.

Why Cappy it part of the 4 basic food groups....Stew , gumbo , jambolia and sauce picant'e....

tonyjohn 12-10-2017 07:23 PM

guess he told you capp !! lol

duckman1911 12-11-2017 12:20 PM

That's good stuff. My favorite use for those big reds. Perfect tecture for a dish like that. Taste so good and will make a warm belly full of good food on these cold days. Looks very good :)

Gerald 12-11-2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cappy (Post 829860)

I have not made a sauce picant'e in over 5 years..... because my method takes so long to cook. It take me 5 or 6 hour [longer is better] to cook each phase and cut up everything.

Good to put in any of the "tuffer" meat kind of fish. I would also sometimes put in venison or pork.

Flex 12-11-2017 09:09 PM

I've never made sauce piquante. Intimidated by it! But that looks good!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Feesherman 12-12-2017 12:19 PM

Never heard of a sauce piquant with fish in it. Seems like courtbouillion would be the place for that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

smooth move 12-12-2017 03:45 PM

sho looks good!

Cappy 12-13-2017 09:22 AM

The way the ole folks from where I was from did it.
!. grease gravy or sticky gravy. Seasoned meat usualy chicken or pork cooked in its own juices.
2. Etouffee a sauce made with carmolized (smothered down onions.
3. Fricassee Etouffee thickened with a roux or roux based sauces.
4. Creole sauce a tomatoe gravy this includes a court bouillon and things like cajun pasta dishes like chicken spegetti for instance.
%. the sauce picante which is the combination of tomatoe thickened with roux. It's the most complex of the Cajun sauces.

There was no white sauce in the area I grew up it was unknown.

lil bubba 12-13-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cappy (Post 829953)
The way the ole folks from where I was from did it.
!. grease gravy or sticky gravy. Seasoned meat usualy chicken or pork cooked in its own juices.
2. Etouffee a sauce made with carmolized (smothered down onions.
3. Fricassee Etouffee thickened with a roux or roux based sauces.
4. Creole sauce a tomatoe gravy this includes a court bouillon and things like cajun pasta dishes like chicken spegetti for instance.
%. the sauce picante which is the combination of tomatoe thickened with roux. It's the most complex of the Cajun sauces.

There was no white sauce in the area I grew up it was unknown.

EXACTLY......And white sauce for those too lazy to properly cook a roux....