SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Freshwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Proposed changes on Sabine river (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64065)

Gerald 05-06-2016 12:25 AM

Proposed changes on Sabine river

Release Date: 05/05/2016
Today, the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission considered a Notice of Intent to modify the size limit on black bass on the Lower Sabine River.

The NOI proposes a decrease in the minimum length limit (MLL) of black bass from 14 inches to 12 inches on the main stem of the Sabine River from the Toledo Bend Reservoir Dam downstream to the Interstate 10 Bridge. If approved, these changes will go into effect on September 1, 2016. The daily bag limit on black bass will remain at eight fish.

In 2011, Louisiana and Texas entered into an agreement to adopt consistent recreational fishing regulations governing their bordering waters. This modification will maintain consistency with a recent regulation change made by Texas Parks and Wildlife.

To view the full notice of intent, please visit here.

Interested persons may submit comments relative to the proposed rule to Bobby Reed, Fisheries Division, Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, 1213 North Lakeshore Drive, Lake Charles, LA 70601 or via email to breed@wlf.la.gov prior to July 5, 2016.

T-Boo 05-06-2016 05:12 AM

Thanks for posting this, Gerald.
I wonder what significance the I-10 bridge plays as a boundary in this, and why.
Anyway, it's less confusion. That's a good thing.

PaulMyers 05-06-2016 05:14 AM

I10 is probably the fresh/salt water line.

T-Boo 05-09-2016 05:28 PM

Bam! This is the official response to my questions (I copy/pasted them from the email).
I like the answer to the first question.

"What are the rules for bass size limit South of I-10 on the Sabine River? The Sabine river below I-10 falls under the state wide regulation of 10 bass with no minimum length.
Also, when will the Burnt-Out Bridge boat launch reopen? This is a parish boat launch. I called and there is no estimated date of re-opening. It is closed due to high water. You can reach them at 337-721-3540."

Natural Light Kid 05-09-2016 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Boo (Post 794729)
Bam! This is the official response to my questions (I copy/pasted them from the email).
I like the answer to the first question.

"What are the rules for bass size limit South of I-10 on the Sabine River? The Sabine river below I-10 falls under the state wide regulation of 10 bass with no minimum length.
Also, when will the Burnt-Out Bridge boat launch reopen? This is a parish boat launch. I called and there is no estimated date of re-opening. It is closed due to high water. You can reach them at 337-721-3540."

But what if you launch in TX? Hasn't always been no min and 10 anywhere on the Sabine if you launch in LA?

Swampcritterr 05-09-2016 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid (Post 794736)
But what if you launch in TX? Hasn't always been no min and 10 anywhere on the Sabine if you launch in LA?

The main river portion of Sabine has been 14" min as long as I remember. From nibletts down to the main river split and then from I10 south follows the no min size and 10 fish limit.

You could traverse the section from the split to the I10 bridge with short fish in the box as long as you don't stop and fish in the " River Proper".

BassYakR 05-10-2016 07:29 AM

Bass needs to be 14" min throughout tx and La

meaux fishing 05-10-2016 07:52 AM

Should be no limits on bass. Nobody cares about them anyways

hkustoms 05-10-2016 08:22 AM

a 16" bass can eat a 10" bass. anything between 10-16 should be culled so you'll get some larger bass. I haven't done well since Rita on the sabine near I-10, but I haven't fished it in the past 5 years or so...

BassYakR 05-10-2016 08:48 AM

Been catching plenty of big fish on sabine. Havent been since it flooded recently.... but it will probably just make it better once the water gets back down to normal levels.

T-Boo 05-10-2016 09:00 AM

The recent flood (while not good for the residents near the river) could possibly be a boon for the bass fishing in the near future. All that freshwater from the North flooding the marshes and pushing the brackish out to the Gulf... It can't be bad for the freshwater fish.